Eco-Friendly Family

Cloth Diapering

Ok, I am only 10 weeks along with my first child but I am wanting to cloth diaper when my LO arrives in march. I was wonder which diapers you ladies liked best and why?

I am wanting to start collecting cloth diapers in the next couple weeks so i am not buying them all at once.

Re: Cloth Diapering

• Check out the cloth diaper board.  They have an FAQ that you will find very helpful.

My stash is made up of BumGenius Elementals, Fuzzibunz one size with hemp inserts, Peachy Green AIOs, and some Sbish fitteds with a Disana wool cover for nighttime.

To start, you need about 24 diapers.  Here is a quick summary on my blog, but there are lots of better sites out there :).

https://plantpoweredfamily.com/plant-powered-kids/cloth-diapers.html 

• I like simple and cheap. I used prefolds and covers as a newborn and am now using gDiapers stuffed with my old prefolds. I don't want to extra work and cost that comes with fitteds and covers. The CD boards is great!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We used a newborn stash of prefolds, thirsties, and kissaluvs....and prefer pockets (snap bumgenius and smartipants) and stuff with our old newborn prefolds and hemp inserts. They dry faster, and the snaps don't wear out like aplix. The prefolds are more absorbant than the microfiber and don't hold odors. I also like how well the fabrics on these diapers have held up...though after two and a half years I am having to replace some of the leg elastic.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We used fitters with covers for the newborn stage and still use them at night.  We love one size pockets for daytime and I use flats for overnight if he dirties his fitted before we get him into bed, when we travel and just because I have fun folding them and I like to do things traditionally occasionally. (I love flats.)

Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• For newborn, we used kissaluvs with covers (thursties).  I really liked them, but I know no different, KWIM?  

After the newborn stage, we have been using Bum Genius 4.0.  They were most like a "real" diaper - I knew that I would be heading back to work and DH/DCP would be changing LO.  I wanted something easy for them.  We've had three DCP and each one of them had never cloth diapered before but were willing to do so because there were no extra steps.

At night we use the BG 4.0 with a hemp insert along with a microfiber.  We haven't had any problems.

HTH! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Definitely go to the CD board... not sure I would have done it if it weren't for the advice of those ladies!

Also check out the Cloth Diapering 101 series on youtube.  It's in 7 parts.

I used mostly prefolds/covers for the newborn stage.  Now I have a mix of different brands of pockets and a few All-in-ones.

ETA:  a lot of people buy a newborn stash and then either get a trial or one each of a few different kinds to try before investing in a whole stash. I have bum genius, swaddlebees, totsbots, blueberries, happy heinys, amp and a few kawaii.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We used prefolds and covers (thirsties an rumparooz) when she was a newborn. Until 3-4 months when the prefolds stopped fitting her in a newspaper fold. 

I loved prefolds and covers. Simple, cheap, and effective. Plus they're really useful beyond diapering.

Our stash now has several different brands of diapers that I bought used and cheap during my pregnancy some favorites are -

Bumgenius - probably the easiest and closest to a disposable

Kawaiis - Great diaper for the price.

Flips- made by the same company as Bumgenius and are a quality product. Great for budget diapering. 

Sunbaby- I only have two of these and just got them a couple of months ago but so far they're doing great and they're a great price.

I thought this https://www.cottonbabies.com/clothdiapers.php was a good basic over view of cloth diapering. All the information out there can be kind of overwhelming.  (this is a for profit site by the makers of bumgenius so it probably has some biased info)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I use Bum Genius one size pockets. The one sized are one of the most economical options. I like the pockets b/c you can control the absorbency. I use hemp liners with a doubler at night, which provides more absorbency. They're also super easy to use. 

The only problem I have with them is that the velcro started wearing off. I would recommend getting the kind with snaps.  

• My daughter is 8 weeks old and I love the one size bumgenius pocket diapers! the only thing is we couldn't use them until her cord fell off cause the way they kept hitting her belly button when she was first born. I love them and don't feel a need to try another kind but I know many ppl recommend trying different kinds to find what you like best. Oh and the bumgenius sprayer that hooks to the toilet is awesome!!!!!
  • My son is 4 months old and we tried different brands and styles before we found the ones we liked.  We use Bummis Super Bright because they leak less than the others we tried.  

No matter what diaper you choose, make sure you order "snappies."  They are pretty cheap and make changing a diaper so much easier.  You use a snappy instead of pins to hold the diaper in place before you put the cover on top of the linen.  Even my husband likes them :) I prefer the pre-folded diapers because they are easier and absorb more.  Sometimes (especially at night) I use two of them to keep my little one extra dry.  

In case you want to get an idea on processing dirty diapers: I have a 5 gallon bucket (with a lid) next to the changing table that I store all dirty diapers until that evening.  Then I put a scoop of oxyclean powder in the washer with the diapers and you don't have to pre-rinse.  Any stained diapers I hang on the clothes line and the sun bleaches them out.  You are not suppose to use bleach on cloth diapers.  

Good luck using cloth diapers... It is more work, but it is worth it and will save you money in the long run.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"