November 2011 Moms
Options

weaning from the binky

tonight we're on night three.... i found the binky the "disappeared" monday, it was in my purse, in a pocket i looked in. oh well, not wanting to give it to him now. also, dh has been wanting to give it to him... i want us to stay strong and not give in. i told dh if he's still cry 10 or 15 mins later, fine we'll give it to him... otherwise, NO! a friend told us it should only take two weeks to be better without it. hopefully during this time, ds can snuggle with his tiger or blankie, so dh and i don't have to always be there to calm him down.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: weaning from the binky

• Options

We are on day three of weaning from the binky, and so far it hasn't been too bad. I think it's more of an adjustment for us as parents because we don't have that safety net for if we go out somewhere and he starts crying. There's no longer that "magical silent button". DH still wants to keep one for the purpose of going to restaurants, etc... but I don't really think that's fair since it's like dangling it in front of his face.

LO was spending far too much time with binky before and you could tell that with him crawling to it, grabbing it, putting it in his mouth, etc that he was associating it with comfort. I didn't want him to continue that as he was getting older. We have had a little bit of an issue at night (around 4 he will wake up and not have binky and cry for awhile) but that is the other part we wanted to address. He needs to learn to self soothe at night without the binky. It has taken more patience over the past few days but he doesn't seem to miss it. I think by the end of the one week mark (if not two, like you said) he really won't miss it at all. GL to you!

• Options
    Thanks and good luck to you as well. one of my friends didn't understand that I didn't want him to have it anymore. I told her because I've met a 4.5 year old who still had one, so ther's no time like the present!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We took away the pacifier at 6.5 months at the same time we started sleep training.  It was easy for my DD.  I think it helped that she was also learning to go to sleep on her own at the same time.  The Dr. Ferber book says it should only take a few days to get through and that it's generally much easier than people expect.  My DD now has a knitted burp cloth that she snuggles with to go to sleep and it really seems to help calm her down.  

Good luck to you!  It's awesome to not have to worry about having the pacifier with you all the time! 

imageAnniversary Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm going to play devil's advocate. I really don't understand the harm. Your baby is 9 months old. If it provides comfort, why take it away? 

Maybe consider having it only at certain times. We try to keep it only for naps and bedtime. I definitely don't want DD to be 4 and still using it, but I don't see the need to wean her from it now. Maybe in 6 months or so.  

• Options
    Why should I give the binky back if we're already on the forth night? I think we'd take steps back, instead of forward if we let him have it after a few days without!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"