March 2012 Moms

Need to vent anonymously

Yesterday was open house at school and most of my families came to meet me, and most were friendly, open and supportive. Then one mom comes waltzing in this morning and takes an hour of my time drilling me on my credentials and experience. She tells me she wants to know at all times where her kid is in relation to grade level and wants a breakdown analysis of every assessment I give. She tells me they definitely won't be returning next year and they've never been happy with the school it's a private school. Ok lady. Sounds like you might want to consider home schooling so you can control every aspect of your kid's like and then therapy to help him overcome your crazy. Sheesh. And she's coming back tomorrow because she wanted to meet me without her kid first. I guess I'll just have less planning done on how to educate her kid.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need to vent anonymously

• Oof.  There are times when you wish some parents would just back up, and then there are other parents who couldn't care less that their kids can't spell.  She sounds like she's going to be a lot of fun this year!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow! I do feel sorry for you! Tomorrow morning might me a good time to invite the principal or head master in to meet with you and her. It sounds like if you don't nip it quick she is going to be overbearing with you and your planning. This will impact ALL the students ALL YEAR LONG!

On the other side it is a bit refreshing for me. I live on a community where you can't send homework home with students because their parents can't read, can't or wont help them with homework or are just to drugged out to care.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yikes! Poor you and poor kid...they have to live with that behavior. I'm glad she is concerned (I see alot that aren't) but WOW...can't there be a happy medium?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We all need stories like these so we don't become "that" parent. I second the PP who suggested having the principal in your next meeting. Best of luck to you this year!
  • imageJessica1232:
    Wow! I do feel sorry for you! Tomorrow morning might me a good time to invite the principal or head master in to meet with you and her. It sounds like if you don't nip it quick she is going to be overbearing with you and your planning. This will impact ALL the students ALL YEAR LONG! On the other side it is a bit refreshing for me. I live on a community where you can't send homework home with students because their parents can't read, can't or wont help them with homework or are just to drugged out to care.

This!

I have a parent like this a few years ago and the principal told her she was being unreasonable and that teachers were not required to do whatever it is was she wanted.  BTW, I moved up to teach HS and have this child/parent again this year.  Ugh! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ugh, why are some parents so crazy?  In my experience, a lot of these parents that come out of the gates all nutty tend to fall off the face of the earth.  They talk a good game and then you don't hear from them again.  They're so crazy, they can't focus on one thing too long.  Good luck, and I agree on having the principal in on the meeting, even if it is informal.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagebeth2882:

imageJessica1232:
    Wow! I do feel sorry for you! Tomorrow morning might me a good time to invite the principal or head master in to meet with you and her. It sounds like if you don't nip it quick she is going to be overbearing with you and your planning. This will impact ALL the students ALL YEAR LONG! On the other side it is a bit refreshing for me. I live on a community where you can't send homework home with students because their parents can't read, can't or wont help them with homework or are just to drugged out to care.

This!

I have a parent like this a few years ago and the principal told her she was being unreasonable and that teachers were not required to do whatever it is was she wanted.  BTW, I moved up to teach HS and have this child/parent again this year.  Ugh! 

Nodding my head in vigorous agreement with all of this, lol. Sorry you got one of "those" parents... really hope the situation works out well for everyone involved! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagebeth2882:

imageJessica1232:

This!

Nodding my head in vigorous agreement with all of this, lol. Sorry you got one of "those" parents... really hope the situation works out well for everyone involved! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Good luck tomorrow (today)-

I would remember that the mom is concerned about her kid's success.  If you keep the conference about the kid, that will help.

I would ask her what kind of information she wants.  Show her an assessment and ask her what she wants.  Tell her that you will see what you can do, but don't promise anything.  Wait until the school year begins....  it's hard to say if she'll keep it up; she may just be trying to intimidate you. 

I think it is one thing to help her understand where her child is; if her expectations are still ridiculous, I would have your principal conference with the parent to discuss realistic expectations.. and I'd try to be in on that conference.  Say as little as possible- the less you commit to, the better off you'll be.  However, you still have to stay positive and conversational.  I hope that makes sense. 

• Wow she sounds like a miserable person!

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• not sure about school politics...but can you basically tell her to just follow up with her kids regarding your class schedule? I am totally cool with  a parent wanting to be involved but that is beyond over board! 

I always tell my teachers that I cant wait to be of assistance, and to please feel free to beat my kid if needed :) oh and to ONLY expect her to say please, thank you, yes sir, no sir etc. If not, standard coping the dictionary is totally fine by me.

good luck!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • If this family is NOT returning next year and her requests aren't aligned with your work requirements I see no reason why you should go above and beyond what it is you need to do. Once your boss knows this person well and can see the crazy coming out of her then I doubt you will have anything to worry about. Especially at a private school! Just get a lot of people lined up to have your back and maybe she will just calm down once things actually get going. I don't know what grade level this is but if it is high school or even middle school the kid should be the one getting the breakdown of an assessment anyway (not sure what she even means by this!) and asking for questions/help.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ugh sorry!  Way to start the school year :(

Can you talk to the child's previous teachers to see how they handled the situation? Whenever I have a parent like this I try to talk to other teachers for advice.

I agree to talk to the principal (unless they are sucky pushovers).  Also I hope for your sake that she is the type that comes on strong at the beginning and then turns out ok (doesn't sound like it though).  Best of luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"