December 2010 Moms

Why do you poop in the bath tub?

So Brooklyn has pooped in the bathtub the last 3 times I have given her a bath. WHY!!!! She knows what she has done because right away she points at it and says ewwwwyyyy. I don't notice when she is doing it because I let her play for a bit while I sit on the floor or toilet and read my book.

Last night I pulled her out before I started washing her so she didn't get a bath hoping that it would teach that poop= no bath and she would stop.

More of a vent then question but any other suggestion would help and I have no idea where she learned the word ewwwwyyy from.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Why do you poop in the bath tub?

• C loves to open the toilet and shout "ewwwww" into it even when there is nothing in there!  We have no idea where he learned it either.  Are you sure she can help it though about pooping in the tub?  When you're in the warm water, it makes the bowel muscles relax (I think).  So if she's on the same poop cycle (which just sounds funny!) then maybe it's just bad timing right now.  Regardless, I think B might be the big winner so far!  To date, I think we've only have a few that have pooped twice in the tub so she's at the head of the class.  (Just trying to make you smile Big Smile .)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageletranger:
    It's relaxing so kids poop. I'm confused why you are punishing her I mean not like she is holding it in to rain on your parade. You could try watching her and when she makes the cues for pooping put her on the toliet to catch it.

I don't think not giving her a bath is a "punishment" more like a way to try to teach her something. I certainly don't WANT DS pooping in the bath, so if he started doing it consistently, I'd try to find a way to teach him not to.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Loading the player...
  • Can you change the time of day or just get her out sooner? I know my DS1 always has to get out of the tub and poop. Almost every time! Thankfully he's PT, but the warm water makes them go!! GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagelrn327:
    C loves to open the toilet and shout "ewwwww" into it even when there is nothing in there!  We have no idea where he learned it either.  Are you sure she can help it though about pooping in the tub?  When you're in the warm water, it makes the bowel muscles relax (I think).  So if she's on the same poop cycle (which just sounds funny!) then maybe it's just bad timing right now.  Regardless, I think B might be the big winner so far!  To date, I think we've only have a few that have pooped twice in the tub so she's at the head of the class.  (Just trying to make you smile Big Smile .)

HA! Avery has pooped in the tub at least a dozen times. There was a point when she was pooping every day, so I think she was just on that schedule. I was also doing the same thing as the OP and ignoring her while she played in the tub, so it always happened when I wasn't looking. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetiffanyp:

imagelrn327:
    C loves to open the toilet and shout "ewwwww" into it even when there is nothing in there!  We have no idea where he learned it either.  Are you sure she can help it though about pooping in the tub?  When you're in the warm water, it makes the bowel muscles relax (I think).  So if she's on the same poop cycle (which just sounds funny!) then maybe it's just bad timing right now.  Regardless, I think B might be the big winner so far!  To date, I think we've only have a few that have pooped twice in the tub so she's at the head of the class.  (Just trying to make you smile Big Smile .)

HA! Avery has pooped in the tub at least a dozen times. There was a point when she was pooping every day, so I think she was just on that schedule. I was also doing the same thing as the OP and ignoring her while she played in the tub, so it always happened when I wasn't looking. 

We've crowned a new winner!  Wink

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageletranger:
    imagewatermellens:

imageletranger:
    It's relaxing so kids poop. I'm confused why you are punishing her I mean not like she is holding it in to rain on your parade. You could try watching her and when she makes the cues for pooping put her on the toliet to catch it.

I don't think not giving her a bath is a "punishment" more like a way to try to teach her something. I certainly don't WANT DS pooping in the bath, so if he started doing it consistently, I'd try to find a way to teach him not to.

Taking something away that a child likes because they did something you found unfavorable. Um it defines punishment.

I'm leaning toward agreeing with letranger. Maybe not so much that you are punishing her, but I do agree that you should either watch for cues so you can take her out to poop on the potty, or change her bath time if the pooping becomes routine.

LO can't control her pooping right now, so you need to make adjustments to your routine without making LO feel like she did something wrong.

• imageletranger:
    imagewatermellens:

imageletranger:

Taking something away that a child likes because they did something you found unfavorable. Um it defines punishment.

well well...stepping out of this thread then before I get my head bit off for my opinion. Indifferent

My little man at 0-1-2

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• I would assume the bath would have to end though, if they pooped in it, right? Because you have to clean out the tub, etc?  Even if it wasn't being skewed as punishment, it might just have to be the logical next step.  But really I think it might be a timing thing...maybe bath time right now coincides with poop time, haha.  Do you give baths at the same time every night?

BTW, I guess I have realized there is one positive thing about your LO having difficult bowel movements.  You always have PLENTY of notice that something is going to happen...in the next hour or so.

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • I always pulled her out of the tub but this time I didn't fill it back up. I don't see it as punishing  her just more like a cause and a effect  thing. You poop in the tub play/bath time is over.

Bath time is around the same time every night I get home from work at 5:30 DH has dinner almost ready then bath usually starts by 6:30, so pushing it back or changing it is more challanging.

This is something new with her that just started this week and hopfuly it's just a faze because scrubbing the tub every night gets old.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • J poops in the tub/shower aswell. Sometimes we take him out imedeately and then just shower him of and call it a day and sometimes (if he poops in the tub) we continue in the shower :) I do not feel that I am punishing him for pooping in the tub when I am taking him out. What he get "pushished" for - if anything - is if he tries to touch it or play with it. If he tells us about it like "look" or "eww" than we often reward him with an extra bathing toy that we have nearby (after we remove it/clean). But thats just me - he does neither cry nor gets upset when we take him out to wash him after an insident, so why would any of us feel like this is a punishment?
    <3 Cathrine 24 from Norway - Mommy and Married <3

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersDaisypath Graduation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"