August 2012 Moms

DON'T BITE YOUR BABY'S NAILS!!!

I've been seeing a few posts on what to do with your baby's nails.

They have baby nail files. Go get them. Or use mittens if you're too scared to use clippers or files. I file my baby's nails. 

If you bite your baby's nails off, it can cause infection...and staph infections. Would you really want to put your baby through that just because of their nails???? 

Geeeezus....people. 

image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: DON'T BITE YOUR BABY'S NAILS!!!

• I have actually heard of pediatricians recommending this. I can't even stand biting my own nails so no worries there. Ewwww
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I file. Im terrified to bite his nails, like Im going to bite off his fingers or something. Lol.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagephq2011:
    I have actually heard of pediatricians recommending this. I can't even stand biting my own nails so no worries there. Ewwww

This. The pediatrician in the hospital and the lactation consultants I saw told me to bite them. I bit them in the hospital because I was advised too but I'm scared to bite too low so I just peel them now. No way am I trying clippers when he's this young and this squirmy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just had to point out that on my phone the title of this post is "don't bite your baby". It did get me to open the post though...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagesammiesjd414:
    Just had to point out that on my phone the title of this post is "don't bite your baby". It did get me to open the post though...

haha same! But I am extremely sick of this mobile crap. I didn't spend money on an iPhone just for every website tell me that my phone can't display anything properly and give no option to use the full version.

I don't have nails myself well, they're extremely short, VERY so I can't pick the peeling ones off. When one is half peeled, I've gripped it with my teeth to get it up enough to pull. I could never use my teeth to actually separate the nail though. Those fingers are just too tiny.
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • Gross, I hate biting my own nails, I wouldn't do that to my LO!
    m/c 2013
  • Still have no idea how this could cause infection...
  • I don't get how it causes infection? You just bite off the tips, not the whole dang thing!
  • imageMsbean22:
    Still have no idea how this could cause infection...

Your mouth is one of the most germ infested parts of your body, if you accidentally break the skin while biting baby's nails ( which is very easy to do) you will introduce bacteria.  Bacteria can cause an infection :-)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMommyMelRN:

imageMsbean22:
    Still have no idea how this could cause infection...

Your mouth is one of the most germ infested parts of your body, if you accidentally break the skin while biting baby's nails ( which is very easy to do) you will introduce bacteria.  Bacteria can cause an infection :-)

Thank you! I've been meaning to answer this and hadnt gotten around to it yet..
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  •  I thought it was really strange when the pediatrician in the hospital told me to bite his nail. I can't bite my own so why his? Right now I use a file and scratch mittens because he is so small
  • I use clippers and mittens because his skin is so soft right now
    imageimage
  • To preface, I don't think biting baby's nails is a good idea. However to my understanding, a clean mouth (ie. you brush your teeth a few times a day at least) isn't harboring any harmful bacteria, and saliva does the job it's meant to do by equalizing the environment, so to speak. In summary, I'm not sure it's that great of a tragedy, but ultimately not the best way to take care of baby's nails. 

But for reals, my mouth has way less coordination than say a file or even clippers! I'm not even sure how it's possible to bite off baby's teeny nails. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"