Postpartum Depression

Anxiety and coping mechanisms

Hello all. It's been awhile since I was on this board, but I spent a lot of time here after the birth of my daughter in October 2009. (I created a new sn because TB wouldn't let me change signatures) 

I just had #2- a little boy 8 days ago and am looking for some opinions/ honest advice.

I've had generalized anxiety for almost my entire adult life. I was on Lexapro until we started ttc for #1. I was unmedicated the entire pregnancy but went on Zoloft for extreme anxiety when DD was 8 weeks old. I was on Zoloft until we started ttc for #2.  My anxiety during my son's pregnancy was pretty bad but starting in third tri I turned to exercise to get me through it.  I was very lucky that my body cooperated and I was able to cope by "sweating it out."

My son was born last Tuesday and as expected, my anxiety has exploded. I know a large part of the ups and downs I am experiencing are normal pp hormones, but I'm really struggling with whether I should start Zoloft now or wait the 6 weeks until I can start working out again to see if that works.

I'm crying all the time and constantly agonizing over everything... DD is in daycare b/c it's good to keep her routine, but am I a bad mom for not having her home with me? DS could get sick from her germs... Do I go back to work? I love my job and worked so hard to reach my career goals (I'm a lawyer)... but shouldn't I be home with my kids now that we have two? I was home with DD for 1.5 years and the thought of putting DS in d/c at 12 weeks makes me ill for several reasons. Would I even be happy at home? I'll be going back 3 days per week for the next year and my boss just emailed me saying I got a raise... how can I turn that down? Can I make it all work?

I sound like a brat and I know it... I hate myself for being back in this place again, I had gotten so healthy mentally over these last two and a half years and I feel like I'm going to spend my entire maternity leave crying while my son sleeps. I EBF and nursed DD for 2 years- I'd like to do the same with my son and got a guilt trip from my discharging doctor on the risks of taking Zoloft while nursing. Am I not letting my body go through the normal PP changes by starting meds now or am I just postponing the inevitable? Can I survive the next 5 weeks until I can hopefully get the clear to go back to the gym... and will that even help? Why am I ashamed when if I were talking to a friend I would be telling them NOT to be???  

I'm sorry- that turned into a total vent.  I realize that none of you are doctors and can't tell me what I *should* do, but I would really appreciate any thoughts or comments. I know I'm not alone and a lot of women feel this way and would really like some guidance.  

Re: Anxiety and coping mechanisms

• I do not have two children yet but from what you are worried about it sounds like things my friends have said when they had their second. Most of them said my two months things worked themselves out and they felt much better.

Can you ask for some help or maybe just people to come visit and help you get your mind off things?

As for work...don't feel bad about going back. You worked hard for where you are and your children will be proud of you.

If the anxiety is too much I would consider going back on meds. I know BFing is super important but your health is more important. I wanted to BF DD but it just wasn't possible for me...the PPD was too bad and she is a wonderful healthy little girl with a healthy momma.

T&Ps

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm only a mom of one right now but spent a lot of time on this board after my son was born. I just happened to look into this board tonight and saw your post. Two words for you. Mommy Guilt.

It sounds like you have lots of Mommy Guilt. You are only human and can only do so much. No mother will ever be perfect and it's exhausting to try to be!  I say take your zoloft. Breast feed on it if you love breast feeding. Go back to work if you want to!  Both my sisters breastfed on it and their babies are fine.   Your daughter needs a chance to develop social skills at daycare anyway! If you stay home, quit your job, and dont take your meds, what good are you to your kids?

Mommy guilt sneaks up on me in some way everyday. I can only imagine how hard it is with two. Sounds like you are great mom! Be easy on yourself! (i need to take my own advice! But i feel for you!)

TTC #2 for 18 months RE for 7 months progesterone=BFN/ clomid=BFN/ IUI#1 with clomid =BFN laparoscopy-Diagnosed with stage 2 endometriosis. IUI#2 letrozole/follistim combo...baby #2 due 3/23/2013
  • Loading the player...
  • What would you tell Leann Rimes about coping with stress and anxiety? She seems to be having problems.

https://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2012/08/leann-rimes-entering-treatment-anxiety-and-stress-day-after-30th-birthday

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"