Food Allergy
Options

Soybean oil et.al

So, I have been trying to go dairy and soy free now for 4 months, and I have done pretty good about avoiding anything with soybean oil, soy lechtin (sp?), etc.  However, I have heard that only really sensitive kids will react to this.  Any thoughts on this?  It REALLY limits me to what I can have if I try to cut both of these out as well, and after 4 months, I am starting to slip.  Please let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Soybean oil et.al

• Options
    I tried soy bean oil and DS reacted within a few hours. Hes very sensitive though. I think all babies are different so the only way to know for sure is trial and error.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    DD2 is sensitive to soy lecithin, but seems okay with soybean oil. Like pp said, you just have to try it and see how it goes. 
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS has a soy allergy but is okay with soy lecithin and soybean oil (fyi...expeller pressed/cold pressed soybean oil is likely to contain more of the protein that highly refined soybean oil, so we avoid that just in case).
    imageimage
  • Options

If you've managed to go soy free for 4 months and your LO is doing well, maybe it's worth a test to see if your LO reacts to it.

One tip I picked up from a friend last week -- she did a soy trial last week and her DD reacted to it, but she didn't have any non-soy pre-pumped BM to give her, and couldn't get the dairy/gluten/soy/etc.-free formula that the pedi recommended, so they just had to wait for the soy proteins to work their way through both their systems. If you're so inclined, it may be a good idea to pump and store a few days' to a week's supply to have just in case your LO has an allergic reaction.

I'm trying to eliminate all the usual suspects to see if it helps DS with his eczema. Soy is a tough one to completely eliminate. I've been on a lecithin supplement for 3 weeks to treat a recurring clogged duct, and I couldn't find a non-soy lecithin, so I am tapering off of it and keeping my fingers crossed.

At least I can say I am no longer drinking soy milk, eating soy yogurt, or entire chunks of tofu. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"