TTC after 35

Anyone else have bad allergies at this time of year?

I have tried to avoid using my corticosteroid nasal spray because there are no studies of its use when TTC and it is guardedly approved for use during pregnancy, and I just didn't want to take the chance.

But I finally caved this morning and used the med. My eyes are so puffy and itchy and my congestion is so bad that my throat has been itching and scratching it leads my ears to bleed (no joke, my hayfever is so bad this year!). 

Does anyone else have bad allergies? Anyone spoken to their docs about their allergy meds?

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
        -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
<br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

Re: Anyone else have bad allergies at this time of year?

• I think I mentioned this before.  I'm on Claritin and Flonase, both approved by my PCP who knows we are TTC.   

I think you just need to decide if the  benefits to the meds outwiegh any potential risks. For me it's a no-brainer.  I'm allergic to mold, which is abundant here in Houston given our humid climate.  Without the meds I have near-constant headaches and sinus infections several times a year. 

ETA: Sinus rinses a couple times a day helped my allergies improve when they were particularly bad, but I still needed the meds.  Do you have a neti pot or something similar?

Me: 38, PCOS/ DH: 37

DD born 12.21.09, conceived w/ injects and IUI

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

BFP 2.6.12 m/c 6w5d | BFP 5.25.12 c/p

-Back to the RE-

3 medicated IUIs, all BFN

-Taking a break from treatment-

BFP 11.20.12 ~ EDD 7.28.13

image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Chart
  • I don't require a neti pot yet, but if I need to un-stuff my nose, I just breath in some steam from a pot with rosemary in some boiling water. Also great for the skin, so it's like a mini-facial! If the hayfever is really bad this year or the frost is late this fall, I may go ahead and get the neti pot. Thanks!

My congestion issue is that I get a continuous drip down the back (I had to have my sinuses completely rebuilt when I was 18 because I had broken my nose so badly so many times as a kid without realizing it and they grew all wrong; they're still not working the way they are supposed to), which gets my throat to itch like crazy. The Flonase is the only thing that works for that. And it's a life-saver.

My PCP quit her practice and I haven't gotten a new one. And I don't trust my OB's office because the nurse there doesn't always do any more than I can do (i.e. look it up in the drug books) and it takes a few days to get a message to my doc and have her respond.

I thought you all must have some experience and I was right!  Big Smile Thanks!

*********************************************************************************************

-- Abraham Lincoln

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >

• Loading the player...
  • My RE said I could use Zyrtec since that's generally a med that they give pregnant women. However, she doesn't want me to use it in the five days leading up to ovulation and for five days after. She is concerned that it could dry up much needed mucus.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The sinus rinse isn't just for easing congestion.  You can do it 2-3 times a day to rinse the allergens out of your sinuses and it reduces your reaction to them.  

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

-Back to the RE-

image image

My Chart
  • And you don't find it irritating? I may have to give it a try. I hope it is easier to use than it looks on TV!

-- Abraham Lincoln

• imagedanieleandwayne:
    And you don't find it irritating? I may have to give it a try. I hope it is easier to use than it looks on TV!

You'll have to decide for yourself ;)

I will say though, the first time you do it, it feels like you are drowning.  After a few times, it starts to feel good. Just make sure you are using a saline solution and not plain water.  I use one by NeilMed and their little salt packets to mix in warm water.  

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

-Back to the RE-

image image

My Chart
  • My RE told me I can take Zyrtec. I also use a neti-pot but I do it in the shower, it seems easier to breathe and then I am not hanging in the sink all crunched over...I just let it run all over me...then rinse off...

I have really itchy eyes, they get red and irritated. My dermatologist told me to soak cotton balls in milk and then lay them on my eyes, it helps a lot. It is very soothing. 

I hope you get some relief soon! 

• Also when using the Neti pot, make sure to use distilled water. I buy jugs of the nursery water and mix that with the saline packets.  If you use tap water, you have to boil it to kill off any bugs. Your ENT can also give you measurements to make your own saline rinse so you don't have to buy the packets.  I don't remeber the amounts exactly but it is baking soda and salt and much cheaper to make yourself. 
    Me 38 DH 40
    TTC since Dec 2010.
    Diagnosed anovulatory, HSG clear. Slight MFI- borderline count, but excellent motility and morphology 
    Nov. 12- Feb.13 Gonal F + Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
    Lap April 13. Found blocked tube and bridged fimbria. Opened tube and cut fimbria. All clear 
    June 13  Gonal F+ Pregnyl +IUI = BFN Stopped treatment with RE due to side effects from drugs and told we needed IVF.
    Oct. 13 started Accupuncture and Chinese herbs- being monitored by RE. Getting better response- e2 and follie size. 
    Now RE says TI till March, then IUI. Fingers crossed, 

All welcome
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"