Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Washing used clothes

Do you think it's necessary? I wash new things to get rid of manufacturing chemicals but used stuff has been washed 100 times. Wondering what others think?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Washing used clothes

• Options

I definitely wash them at least once before wearing.

Never know what the state of a processing facility is or where an item has come from...and even though that shirt might have been clean, maybe its thrown in a vat with dirty underware, etc. (and yes, I've been at a goodwill bulk outlet where I found a pair of dirty underware in the pile :P )

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    definitely wash them!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DEFINITLY wash first. You don't know where it has been and in my experience used clothes typically are washed in highly fragrant detergents and softeners.  I can't stand the smell of them more then new clothes. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

why wouldn't you wash clothes that have been worn by other people!  That is just gross!!  Plus a lot of other people use fabric softner so I usually wash at least once first before I let my child wear it.

• Options
    Well, because it seems wasteful. I know the 2 families where the clothes came from and the one mom specifically told me she used free & clear detergent. But I guess the consensus is to re-wash.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageamelianickel:
    Well, because it seems wasteful. I know the 2 families where the clothes came from and the one mom specifically told me she used free & clear detergent. But I guess the consensus is to re-wash.
    i think most people were assuming the clothes came from unknown sources such as from a thrift store, 2nd hand clothing store or maybe garage sale. While I probably would still rewash everything, I can see where someone might not if it came from a good friend who had recently washed it. Usually though, most of our handmedown stuff was in storage for quite a while before it was passed on to us so I washed because of that. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"