Attachment Parenting
Options

nighttime separation anxiety/nightweaning

I am pretty sure DD is dealing with nighttime separation anxiety.  Monday night she woke to nurse and every time I tried putting her back in her crib, she screamed.  Usually she wakes once or twice to nurse, she gulps down both sides, I put her back in her crib no problem.  After a few attempts of putting her down and her screaming, I sent my husband in.  He tried rocking her and laying on the couch with her, she kept crying.  I went back in and nursed her some more, tried to put her down a few times, she kept screaming.  Finally I brought her to our bed b/c I didn't know what else to do.  She typically comes to our bed if she wakes between 5-7am a few times a week, other than that she has never slept with us.  She's slept in her room since she was about 7 months old.

I took her to the dr.  No ear infection, no teething. 

Last night it was the same thing, she woke up, nursed, screamed when I put her down.  I finally laid on the floor next to her crib.  She cried for 2-3 min and then feel asleep and a few minutes later I went back to our room.  The fact that she feel asleep with me there makes me think separation anxiety.

So I think what I will do is set up a place for me to sleep in her room and lay there when I need to, then slowly move away, sleep lady shuffle style.  What I'm wondering, though, is if I should also go ahead and nightwean her while I'm doing this.  Instead of nursing her and then putting her back in her crib and laying next to her bed, just go in, comfort her for a moment, then lay down.  

Do you think this would be too traumatic to do all at once?  Any other thoughts, suggestions, tips??

Sorry this is super long. 

Re: nighttime separation anxiety/nightweaning

• Options

My almost 7 month old is going through the same thing! Also took him to Dr yesterday.

I'm trying the no-cry sleep solution book. I logged his sleep last night and he woke up a LOT. Was only happy in my arms with boob in his mouth. I am going to pretty much night wean (or at least, not nurse him back to sleep) as I can tell, and the pedi confirmed, that he is just nursing for comfort. While I do love nursing him to sleep, it's best for our family if others, like DH and the nanny, can also put him to sleep.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLuluP82:

My almost 7 month old is going through the same thing! Also took him to Dr yesterday.

I'm trying the no-cry sleep solution book. I logged his sleep last night and he woke up a LOT. Was only happy in my arms with boob in his mouth. I am going to pretty much night wean (or at least, not nurse him back to sleep) as I can tell, and the pedi confirmed, that he is just nursing for comfort. While I do love nursing him to sleep, it's best for our family if others, like DH and the nanny, can also put him to sleep.

Well, that's the thing--she can (or usually can) put herself to sleep.  Around 10 months, I used the NCSS to get her to the point where she can nurse until very drowsy, then I put her down, she blinks a few times, and falls alseep.  Sometimes she is less tired and I can put her down even more awake and she can fall asleep on her own.

But I think learning to walk has caused her to move into a separation anxiety phase and she realizes when I put her down I am leaving and that's when she starts screaming.

Anyway, I hope NCSS works well for you!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! My maternity leave is about over (I've been working part-time from home since he was 8 weeks, but in December/January I go back full-time) and I really need him to sleep better by then...I can barely function now and I'm able to sleep in and nap!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"