November 2011 Moms

Your opinion/GTKY

My SIL apparently has had no problem allowing her kids to see all kinds of "bad infulence" movies. She just told me that she took her boys (ages 11 & 9) to see The Dark Knight Rises. I think they are too young to see movies that violent (but I'm keeping quiet to her about it).

So what age would you let your kid(s) see a rated R movie?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Your opinion/GTKY

• R rated movies vary so much so it depends on why it's rated R. For sex/nudiness.. I wouldn't be okay with that, well ever! But honestly at a much older age. I also wouldn't want my kids seeing a movie that was filled with cuss words the whole time.

As for violence type, I would have to see it to judge how a kid would handle it. I haven't see dark Knight so I have no idea, but if I could see myself letting a 11 year old watch it if it wasn't too much.

• DH and I have varying opinions on this.... mainly because of our backgrounds. I got in SOO much trouble for sneaking into a rated R movie when I was 14. DH's mom took him to see Predators when he was YOUNG (I think around 8 or so). DH obviously has no problem with it. I am like PP and think it depends on what it is rated R for. Sometimes the PG 13 movies are just as bad as the R movie but the director managed to get a PG13 rating to help appeal to the masses. Sometimes they can pretty much have the same content, but take out some of the cussing. I think now you are allowed one F-bomb per PG13 movie (I was shocked when I watched The Ring 2 and it ended with "I'm not your fuc*ing mommy".

So... long story short if I am not sure about the content of the movie, then I will try and view it before DS watches it. Or we could watch it together as a family and either skip over parts or turn it off if we're at home. .

• Loading the player...
  • Also, I haven't seen the new Batman movie... but I suppose I could look up reviews of it first to see just how violent it is -- using a site like this https://parentpreviews.com/

Honestly I don't know about a 9 year old (though DH would probably go in a heartbeat) but I don't see a problem with an 11 year old if it isn't extremely violent.... especially since it is a continuation of a movie based off of a comic book (which DS may be into). 

• They can watch when they are legally allowed to go without an adult.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • J234J234 member

imageEstwd2:
    It completely depends on the child and the content of the movie. We will evaluate on a casebycase basis.

Same here.  If there was something my child really wanted to see, I would try to preview it and then go with him/her so we can discuss things.   

• imageLittleMommaBlueHen:
    They can watch when they are legally allowed to go without an adult.

This is how I was brought up. However, I did talk my aunt into taking me to see A Time To Kill when it was in theaters when I was 13. I so wasn't ready for the content of that movie!

• We actually have verysoontobe 12 and 13 year olds. I'm pretty sure that we've never let them watch an r rated movie, although the same can not be said for their birth mother, who let them watch queen of the damned at about 6 and 7. We judge each movie on its own, but I've found that we have a bad tendency to okay violence over even a make out session or a woman in her bra. We're working on that, because mild sexuality is far more natural and normal than violence.
  • It completely depends on the child and their maturity level. But ftr, dark knight rises was pg13. The rating system is bull anyway. 16 candles and goonies are pg and have worse language than pg13 movies now. It is so arbitrary.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It will depend on the movie. I was pretty mature for my age, but there are definitely sme things kids shouldn't see, of course.

Here's a fun story. My parents wouldn't let me rent Silence of the Lambs when I was a freshman in HS. Some weeks later, I went to the mall with some friends and bought it myself, snuck it in the house and watched it in my bedroom. My dad walked in as I was about halfway through it. He laughed and let me watch the rest of it. I went to say goodnight to them later that evening and as I walked down the dark hallway to my bedroom, he whispered, "Precious..." You can imagine how that went.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageEstwd2:
    It completely depends on the child and the content of the movie. We will evaluate on a casebycase basis.

Agreed.  I was allowed to see rated R movies when I was 14-17.  It really depended on the content.  Also, I went to many rated R movies that my mom didn't know about and the theaters never asked my age/carded.  I think the only movie I was ever carded for was American Pie and I was 17 then. 

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • imageJ234:

imageEstwd2:

Same here.  If there was something my child really wanted to see, I would try to preview it and then go with him/her so we can discuss things.   

This exactly....but I don't like most R rated movies as an adult, so I'm really hoping it won't be an issue LOL 

• I know this is going to be something DH and I don't agree on.  I wasn't allowed to see many R rated movies until I moved out of the house.  DH was watching them by around age 9 or 10.  I suppose we both turned out ok :P  I'm going to say that it depends both on the movie and the child

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree it is on a case by case basis.  It would depend on the movie and the kid.  But, I was going to the movies with friends by myself at 13 and we would sneak into rated R movies all the time.  I kind of expect that to happen with my kids too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't really have a specific age in mind. My thoughts are along the lines of the child's maturity and the content of the movie. DH and I can preview it first and if we think they are able to "handle" the overall theme and message it portrays then we will go ahead a let them see it with us. That way when it's over we can discuss it as a family.

After they can purchase a ticket on their own then I would probably be willing to let them pick and choose what they want to see. They're almost grown adults and need to make their own decisions about what is right for them. 

• imageLittleMommaBlueHen:
    They can watch when they are legally allowed to go without an adult.

This. An R rating is there for a reason, whether it's nudity/violence/language doesn't matter. 

Because you're mine, I walk the line....
    Landry Mark: 11/5/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"