Success after IF

Sperm donation?

Hi ladies,

We are in the thick of things with adoption, but I just started thinking about sperm donation as well.  In our case, it is mostly male infertility.  I have hypothyroidism, but that is it, and a mild case at that.

I don't want to suggest sperm donation if it would hurt my husband. He feels bad enough that it is his 'fault' we can't have a baby.  But at the same time, what it is works the first time? What if we get pregnant right away?  Would the joy of that outweigh any feelings that it is not 'his' baby?  Since we are looking to adopt anyway, would that make things easier?

Has anyone else considered or gone through sperm donation?  I would love to hear about others experiences.

Thanks!

Jenny

Married to my sweetheart since 9/06, TTC since 9/06 also!
Switched to Adoption, 3/12
Home study approved 6/12
Ready and waiting for our baby or babies! :)

www.jenandmattadopt.blogspot.com
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnv9gGxToYk&feature=share

Re: Sperm donation?

• I have not personally, but you might want to edit your title to say donor sperm, as donation sounds like your H would be the one donating to someone else.  Best of luck in your decision.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Our issue is mainly my PCOS so we haven't considered donor sperm.  But I think it's something worth discussing.  Does he have concerns about adoption and the child not being his biologically?  I would think that if he is open to adoption then he may be open to the idea of donor sperm.  But you never know how someone might feel about something like that.  There are a lot of complex emotions involved in that decision.  

This board is pretty slow these days.  You may want to ask this question on the Trouble Trying to Conceive board to get more responses.  Good luck to you! 

Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a lurker, but thought I could add some info.  Our infertility was due to MFI.  At first, DH was totally against donor sperm.  But after some time, and several horrible S/As, he realized that the only outcome we wanted was a baby and the means to get there didn't matter as much.  I ordered the book, Helping the Stork and it was very helpful for both me and DH.  He said that it was nice to read that other men had the same reservations and fears that he did.  DH was scheduled to do a testicular biopsy the day of my egg retrieval and we had a vial of DS as backup in case no motile or mature sperm were found.  They did find sperm in DH's biopsy and the DS wasn't used. 

I highly recommend that book.  You may also want to consider going to a counselor that specializes in fertility issues.

Good luck!

PAIFW/SAIFW

DS1 born July 2002 (previous marriage).

TTC since Oct 08. DH Dx w/testicular cancer March 09.
    MFI due to retrograde ejaculation/azoospermia.
    5/2 IVF #1 cancelled due to large follie.
    6/14 start Lupron for IVF #1.2. 6/22 start stims.
    7/4 ER and Biopsy.
    7/9 Transferred 2 (1-4BB and 1-3BB) embryos.  4 frosties.
    7/15 +HPT 6dp5dt. 7/18 Beta #1: 193. 7/20 Beta #2: 415.
    8/10 1st u/s - It's triplets!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks ladies!  I am going to try to talk to him about it tonight, after work.  That way, if he says no, I can stop thinking about it completely.  I may stop at the library and see if they have that book too.

Wish me luck!

Jenny :)

Married to my sweetheart since 9/06, TTC since 9/06 also!
    Switched to Adoption, 3/12
    Home study approved 6/12
    Ready and waiting for our baby or babies! :)

www.jenandmattadopt.blogspot.com
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnv9gGxToYk&feature=share
  • I think the ladies on the secondary IF board might also have insight.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"