November 2011 Moms
Options

Baby swings...a mini rant.

We take DD to the park to play on the swings most days after supper. Sometimes there is a wait for the baby swings, which I wouldn't mind at all normally, but what drives me nuts is when there is a wait because people have their 4 year olds in the baby swings. This happens all the time - there is a whole set of free toddler swings (and regular swings), but parents would rather cram their preschooler into the little baby ones. I just don't get it and it drives me nuts. Does this happen anywhere else, or is it a local phenomenon? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby swings...a mini rant.

• Options
    That would piss me off.  I wish our park had baby swings, but they would probably be taken over by the 10 year olds who are bigger than DH.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageEstwd2:
    I haven't seen that at our local parks. That would definitely drive me batty. If I felt like being a b!tch that day, I might strike up a conversation with the parent and say something like "Aw, that's so cute that he likes the baby swings! I have a nephew his age that wouldn't be caught dead in them. He has such a great sense of independence and adventure. But it's so nice when they want to pretend to be babies again. I like them confined, don't you?"

That is awesome. I'm not sure I'd be bold enough to do it, but I love it all the same! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't run into this yet but what I freaking can't stand are how the stupid playground lurking high school students like to throw the baby swings up so that the chain wraps around the top beam, and the swing hangs like a foot from the top.
    Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    It might not be the parent, my 3 year old freaking loves the baby swings.  She'd rather do that than the big swings.  Or if I have to push her and the baby I have to put them in swings next to each other so I can push both at the same time.  Does it really matter who is using them?  They are in use, do something else till they are free, no big deal.
    Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Options

imageMrs.Greeko:
    It might not be the parent, my 3 year old freaking loves the baby swings.  She'd rather do that than the big swings.  Or if I have to push her and the baby I have to put them in swings next to each other so I can push both at the same time.  Does it really matter who is using them?  They are in use, do something else till they are free, no big deal.

I've never even tried the big swings with my 3 year old.  He's still a baby to me.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Oh, I'm not sure I would put a toddler on the big swings...if there aren't toddler swings available then I totally get it (or not one adjacent to a baby swing, as PP mentioned...I hadn't thought of that one, to be honest, and this scenario isn't what bothers me at our park). And I agree that parents have every right to put whichever kid they want on the baby swings.... but I still think it's kind of rude, and I wouldn't personally do it. 

Don't get me wrong....this is a pet peeve of mine, but I know it's not really a big deal. We don't make an issue of it and happily wait our fair turn! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"