Baby Showers
Options

This is a fun one.

DH's cousin just posted on her baby shower Facebook page that she's having a diaper raffle, and to be entered, you need to bring a pack of diapers...  And they "prefer Pampers or Huggies."  I thought her stepmother was throwing the shower, but it is looking less and less like that the more she keeps updating her baby shower page and sharing her registries with her whole friend list.... 
Me: 32 DH: 32
Married: 05/31/2008
DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
M/C: 06/11/2015
DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d

Re: This is a fun one.

• Options

Oy.

What's a diaper raffle?  Someone please explain so I can fully understand how much I hate this idea...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

They tell you to bring a pack of diapers, and if you do, you get entered into a drawing to win a gift card to a restaurant or something or a prize!!! OMG!!! Surprise The reason people hate it on this board is because it's either an additional gift, or they're just telling you straight up what to buy (and she's even telling us the BRAND).

Or, I could just skip buying her diapers, and go buy my own dinner with that money that's a guaranteed win for me. Cool

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you know her well enough you might want to send her a text to tell her to stop updating her baby shower Facebook page because it is looking like she is hosting her own shower...which of course is against all that is proper.  Maybe she doesn't realize this and needs to be enlightened.  A lot of people are really clueless as to what is proper and what is not because they were never taught.  Yikes!
  • Options

Yep, I pretty much hate it. 

What if you bought a small registry gift and a 10 pack of diapers for like, $8.  You could come out ahead, depending upon the amount on the gift card (kidding obvs).

I hate being told how to spend my money.  Having a registry is one thing, it's intended to be a list of things the new parents to be need, as gift suggestions.  I'd rather buy a suggested registry gift rather than add another blanket to a huge pile of blankets they're going to get.

• Options

imagerhubarb123:
    If you know her well enough you might want to send her a text to tell her to stop updating her baby shower Facebook page because it is looking like she is hosting her own shower...which of course is against all that is proper.  Maybe she doesn't realize this and needs to be enlightened.  A lot of people are really clueless as to what is proper and what is not because they were never taught.  Yikes!

I know her on friendly terms, but not extremely well...  Oy.  I might have to mention it to her.  I just hope my mother-in-law doesn't see and decide it's a great idea for the shower she's throwing for me.

• Options
    image526SadieSadie:

Yep, I pretty much hate it.  Smile

What if you bought a small registry gift and a 10 pack of diapers for like, $8.  You could come out ahead, depending upon the amount on the gift card (kidding obvs).

I hate being told how to spend my money.  Having a registry is one thing, it's intended to be a list of things the new parents to be need, as gift suggestions.  I'd rather buy a suggested registry gift rather than add another blanket to a huge pile of blankets they're going to get.

If I were doing it, that's what I'd do...  I'd just take the diapers out of the amount I planned to spend.  But, I already bought her gift, so I'm not playing, period. Smile  I know the book thing bothers people a lot, but that one doesn't bother me as much because a book is maybe just a little more than I'd spend on a card, and I just factor it in to what I'd spend...  But diapers start out more pricey than books.

• Options
    It all bothers me. I just want to say "How about I pick out my own damn gift for you since it will contain a lot of thought and good wishes and you just smile and say thank you"
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options

imageMelleTX:
    It all bothers me. I just want to say "How about I pick out my own damn gift for you since it will contain a lot of thought and good wishes and you just smile and say thank you"

Also a valid point. ;) 

• Options
    So many people have told my sister (who is throwing my shower) that I HAVE to have a diaper raffle. She declined, feeling as if it was very gift-grabby.

I say either have a typical shower or a diaper raffle - not both.

Facebook page? That is what I found most tacky about this post!
  • Options
    where im from usually the men will have a diaper party. its basically all his friends come over to eat, drink, watch the game or something and bring diapers. Its a baby shower for the man without all the lady stuff.
  • Options

imageMelleTX:

This. I especially can't stand when people complain about not getting things off of their registry. It is a guide! People can buy whatever they want. You can't TELL people what to get you! Ever. For any occasion period. 

OP, my aunt suggested to my mom they make a diaper TOWER at my shower meaning every guest brings a pack off diapers (in addition to their gift) and they build a tower out of them because it would be "cute". Luckily my mom put a stop to that (and all of my aunt and cousin's other tacky ideas, bless their hearts). 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageWVUPetunia:

They tell you to bring a pack of diapers, and if you do, you get entered into a drawing to win a gift card to a restaurant or something or a prize!!! OMG!!! Surprise The reason people hate it on this board is because it's either an additional gift, or they're just telling you straight up what to buy (and she's even telling us the BRAND).

Or, I could just skip buying her diapers, and go buy my own dinner with that money that's a guaranteed win for me. Cool

my MIL did my SIL's shower and she did a Diaper "fund" raffle. It was completely optional, cheap and fun and was NOT asked for people to participate in or bring any money for before hand.

She had raffle tickets with like, three for a dollar and there about 5 different prizes you could win. The money went to the mom-to-be as diaper money.

this was okay with me because honestly, for 5 dollars (15 tickets) there is no way I would've gotten the item I won at a better price. Diapers are like $30+ dollars, and I could easily spend that money on something more worthwhile for me. You get the diapers, or the cute gifts, you have to choose

• Options

imagebrooke&ryan&baby:
    So many people have told my sister (who is throwing my shower) that I HAVE to have a diaper raffle. She declined, feeling as if it was very gift-grabby.

yes!! I agree, no hard feelings to anyone, not saying it to be mean.

But I just think that especially with the amount of friends people have on facebook (cause no way are all 70+ people going to your shower) any posting of your registry on there is very gift-grabby. It's rude to ask for a gift from people there's no way you'll even invite to the shower.

if you happen to have 30 friends on fb and are inviting them all, I guess youre the exception. But a baby website or something if you want to go online and do updates is much better. IMO

• Options

Every diaper raffle I have witness in person has been a disaster. The "prize" is normally some piece of junk the host or mom to be had laying around the house that they no longer wanted.

I am not buying you a pack of diapers to get an old Christmas serving platter.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagebrooke&ryan&baby:

I think I found the part about what brands were "preferred" to be the most tacky.  I'm sure we all have our "preferred" brands that we can choose to buy those with our own money, but if someone is giving me free diapers, I'm taking them without complaint no matter what brand they are!

• Options
    Well, someone posted back to her and maybe playfully(?) tried to tell her it was tacky by saying, "Greedy girl, lol."  Then she wrote, "How?  I will need a lot of diapers.  Not like I want to need them."  Ummm...  Maybe you shouldn't have gotten pregnant then...?  (And the baby was planned.)
  • Options
    Diaper raffles are tacky. Making rules for them is even worse.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageWVUPetunia:
    Well, someone posted back to her and maybe playfully(?) tried to tell her it was tacky by saying, "Greedy girl, lol."  Then she wrote, "How?  I will need a lot of diapers.  Not like I want to need them."  Ummm...  Maybe you shouldn't have gotten pregnant then...?  (And the baby was planned.)
    This. And, um... what? It's tacky. Just tacky.
    "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."- Emily Bronte Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageWVUPetunia:

Wow sounds like she is totally clueless

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Is it clearly stated that it's optional? If so, then, whatever. People don't HAVE to participate. Nobody's holding a gun to their head and forcing them to buy a pack of diapers.
    Ashley Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    What if you end up with a bunch of diapers you hate, or that your child is allergic to? (My friend's daughter got chemical burns from Pampers). No thanks, I'll buy the diapers myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"