Adoption

Not exactly adoption related, per say

Some friends of ours have been foster parents to two sweet boys - age almost 3 for 15 months, and age 10 months since he was born. They were hoping to adopt them both, but knew chances with the older boy were 50/50 and the younger boy is much more likely.

Anyway, they just learned that the older boy is leaving at the end of the week to live with relatives. Although this is a very known and often expected outcome in fostering, our friends are no less devastated and will miss him fiercely.

We wanted to do something for them, but weren't quite sure what. They live a little less than an hour away from us. We were thinking of sending a sympathy card and a gift basket, but weren't sure. I was wondering if anyone has been through this and had a suggestion.

TIA. 

Re: Not exactly adoption related, per say

• per se, and IMO this is adoption related.

I think a sympathy card would be taken the wrong way. That's reserved for a death in my circle.

I think a gift basket and a thinking of you note would be nice.

Are the boys related? I ask because you could do something to show their connection as part of a gift.

• Wow I feel dumb for not even noticing the per se thing.. I said it wasn't exactly adoption related because although foster care can end in adoption, it's not always the case as the system's number one goal is reuniting the LO with their BM, BD, or a relative. (DH & I plan to become foster parents next year with the hopes of it ending in adoption.)

Good point with the sympathy card. Thinking of you is much more appropriate. Any ideas on what sort of gift basket? The boys were not related. The older boy called his foster parents mommy and daddy and the baby his little brother though. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"