Georgia Babies

The Beach at International Park in Jonesboro?

Is this a good/nice place to take a one-year-old? DD's first birthday is next Sunday. We're not doing a party because we have no family around here, so instead we thought we'd find a fun place to take her. In Warner Robins, there's not much of that :( 

The Beach looks like it would be the closest water park for us. My friends and coworkers here take their kids to Wild Adventures in Valdosta, but that's a three hour drive and it's not like she can go on a lot of the rides.

WDYT of this park? Or, do you have any alternate recommendations?

Re: The Beach at International Park in Jonesboro?

• The Beach isn't much of a water park, if I remember correctly. There may be a slide or two, but it's a man-made lake with a sandy beach. I guess it's nice now. We avoided that place like the plague when I was in high school (back in the dark ages). I don't think it's worth your drive. If you're going to drive to Atlanta, continue 30 minutes up the road to White Water. Seriously. They have a whole kids area.
    Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemyrall:
    The Beach isn't much of a water park, if I remember correctly. There may be a slide or two, but it's a man-made lake with a sandy beach. I guess it's nice now. We avoided that place like the plague when I was in high school (back in the dark ages). I don't think it's worth your drive. If you're going to drive to Atlanta, continue 30 minutes up the road to White Water. Seriously. They have a whole kids area.

This. The Beach is very run down. I think it may have hit it's prime in the early 90's so you can imagine what it's like now? About 6 years ago my husbands work did a cookout there and we wouldn't even get in the water. I can't imagine in this economy that anyone has made the place do a 180. I agree with Myra White Water is a great option or head to Valdosta. I have friends who live in Claxton and they love the water place in Valdosta.  

• Loading the player...
  • imagerara855:
    I think it may have hit it's prime in the early 90's so you can imagine what it's like now?  

Now, now, Ra. Don't sell it short too fast. It was the site of Olympic volleyball in 1996. THEN it went downhill. LOL.

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • For a 1 year old, I think going to a park with a splash pad would be more cost effective than White Water. Pack a picnic and let her play in the water, she'll have a great day! Just my opinion.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemyrall:

imagerara855:
    I think it may have hit it's prime in the early 90's so you can imagine what it's like now?  

Now, now, Ra. Don't sell it short too fast. It was the site of Olympic volleyball in 1996. THEN it went downhill. LOL.

Haha, I'm sorry I misspoke. Mid 90's.  

• imagemyrall:

imagerara855:

Haha, I'm sorry I misspoke. Mid 90's.  ;)

• imagedecaturbride:
    For a 1 year old, I think going to a park with a splash pad would be more cost effective than White Water. Pack a picnic and let her play in the water, she'll have a great day! Just my opinion.

Good call. To this effect, there's the Old Fourth Ward Splash Pad near Downtown and also a splashpad at Piedmont Park.

• My girlfriend had her 4 year old daughters' birthday party here over the summer. Honestly, I think for a 1 year old, it is not bad at all. There is the man made beach portion, which was clean and lifeguards were there to monitor. But there is also the kiddie pool area with the small children activities and splashers, etc. 

Now, I would say that on a holiday weekend, I'm sure it will probably be very crowded and crowd wise, I cannot vouch for how it would be Huh? 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemyrall:

imagedecaturbride:
    For a 1 year old, I think going to a park with a splash pad would be more cost effective than White Water. Pack a picnic and let her play in the water, she'll have a great day! Just my opinion.

Good call. To this effect, there's the Old Fourth Ward Splash Pad near Downtown and also a splashpad at Piedmont Park.

I'd consider that if I lived closer to Atlanta, but I'm in Warner Robins. Not 100 sure but I don't think there's a park with a splash pad near us. Anyway, she doesn't walk yet.

I found another place since posting here called Splash in the Boro in Statesboro, so that's another option.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
  • You might want to look into Callaway Gardens.  Pine Mountain is much closer to Warner Robins than Statesboro is.  There is a lot that you can do at Callaway.  There's also a beach area.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"