Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

A question for 2nd (and 3rd, 4th...) time moms...

I posted earlier about a new sleep issue I'm having with DD and it's certainly not my first post re: sleep.  I also see tons of posts from other people about their LOs and sleep issues.  I know that it is normal for babies to not STTN and to change things up on us (just when we think we've got something that works!), but there must be a point when sleep gets better, like, for good (by which I guess I mean it is a surprise when LO wakes during the night - like for illness or something - rather than it being a surprise when they don't).  Have any of you who have older children reached that point and, if so, when?  I'm just curious because right now it seems like crossing our fingers and hoping that DD makes it through the night will be the norm forever, but obviously that's not the case.  Are we talking months or years?  What has been your experience?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: A question for 2nd (and 3rd, 4th...) time moms...

• Options

Every kid is different. When DD was a baby, she was consistently STTN by 5 months. If she did randomly wake up, I would feed her and she'd go right back to sleep easily. So for her, I'd say from about 6 months on we didn't even think much about her sleep. She just slept at night!

DS is no where close to that. He wakes up at least 2x per night and can take an hour to get back down. Totally sucks. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

DD1 started sleeping great consistently around 8/9 months old, I think. She's still an awesome sleeper. DD2 gets up once or twice a night still. Sometimes she nurses and goes right back to sleep, sometimes she's ready to party for a bit before she gets tired again and goes back down. 

My niece, who is one month older than DD1, still gets up at least once a night. She wakes up for the day at like 5:30am and is a terrible napper too. So everyone is different!  

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My DD is a horrible sleeper (come to find out, she got if from her dad according to MIL), but things got a ton better when she turned 2 and started sleeping in her big girl bed.  That may not be what you want to hear.  :)  But, your experience is sure to be better.  She is pretty much on the extreme end of sleep issues.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    D1 slept through the night by 12 weeks, D2 still doesn't consistantly.  I'm hoping she will soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The twins were awful sleepers until they this past Spring - so about 3.5 years old. Corbin came home almost STTN, but teething threw him off schedule and he was waking 2-3 times a night. The past 3 nights he's slept the whole night through and I'm hoping it sticks this time. I'd love to have just one full week of rest!!

imageimage

TheseFourButton-1.png

• Options

Well DS1 did not STTN not once until her was 8 months old. Then he did it once and not again until he was a year old.

DS2 has yet to STTN...not sure how long it will take him. Some kids just take longer than others..one of my friends has a son who is 6 and just now STTN regularly. Not trying to discourage you but things are just so different for every child. I am hopeful that my DS2 will STTN soon but def not holding my breath...Im just glad we were able to get him to sleep without me holding him, and in his crib no matter the length of time. one success at a time!

• Options

My DD started STTN when she was five months, but has gone through periods of waking up with nightmares and such since. I definitely think it helps to make their bed a happy place to be, so don't do timeouts there (when they start to need discipline) and play with them in their crib when they're in a good mood every once in a while. It also helps to be very consistent in putting them back in their bed if they get out instead of letting them sleep on you. I lay in DD's bed with her if she's having nightmares--this way, they don't feel like they have to "escape" their room if they wake up.

It WILL get better--trust me :) 

• Options

DS is 3 years old and still only STTN about half the time.  He's never been a good sleeper and didn't STTN for the 1st time until 14 months. I'm still waiting for it to get better. 

Missed m/c 10/25/10 @ 11.5 weeks

• Options
    All I can say is each child is different..  Our first was STTN after the second night home from the hospital with little more than a bottle and swaddle (went to sleep by herself)...  DS OTOH has me asking the same question you are right now...  I want some bleep'n SLEEP!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"