Parenting after a Loss

Nutramigen.. (updated)

Who's on it?  How's it working?  What are your secrets to affording this stuff.. DS will probably go through a big can every 5 days.. and, it's $36 a can.. yikes.  I just registered with enfamil, but wondering how else you guys get coupons.

Update:  Ugh, neverming.. I doubt DS will be staying on this long.. updated below in responses, but short version, he's throwing up the nutramigen :(  Taking him into the peds office in the morning... for now have been cutting half soy/half nutramigen bottles -- seems to tolerate that (only had 1 bottle so far though -- but no vomit).

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!

Re: Nutramigen.. (updated)

• imageTMaggie0424:

We tried it - it didn't work for us and it gave dd constipation.  We had better luck with A.R.  Still had constipation but less spitups/vomiting.  We then added 4 ml of apple juice to each bottle and the constipation disappeared.  As far as coupons, yeah register with Enfamil - I got some in the mail.  And also ask your pedi for samples if you haven't already.  Our pedi was generous and gave 4 cans.  Good luck!

Oh one more thing - dd got put on prevacid today.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

Hm.. we're putting him on this because of poop issues.. among other belly problems.. his poor belly is just NEVER happy.. we were on similac advanced, then sensitive, then isomil.. the isomil helped a LOT with his temperment.. he wasn't constantly crying like he had been.. seemed to be pulling his legs a bit less and was overall easier to console.. but, he wasn't pooping well.. we've been doing 2tsp of prune juice every other bottle to help him go.. his problem isn't that he's constipated, he's just not pushing it out.. when he does poop, it's plenty soft enough.. sigh.

We'll see.. I'm hoping so much this helps.. he's been going days without pooping (today was 3 1/2 days).. and, he gets SO uncomfortable.. his poor belly blows up like a balloon, is rock hard, he just cries constantly.. all I can do is hold him and rub his belly.. 

We're hoping this makes the difference.. otherwise, I really don't know what the next steps are.. 

He's also on reflux medication, too.. that's helped with some of his other issues.. like the mucous in his throat all the time, the sour burps, fighting us on taking a bottle, etc.. 

I will say, in 2 bottles.. he doesn't seem to "like" this formula.. he fights me to eat it.. not resisting like he did when his reflux was an issue.. it's more I put it in his mouth, he takes a few sips, and then just cries.. continues rooting.. but cries.. and then I have to really coax him to take it.. hoping he'll adjust to it quickly :(

God.. this whole process is killing me emotionally.. 

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

• Ask your neighbors and friends if they mind being signed up on Enfamil's website as well.  Then go and register them.  If they are willing you can use their coupons/samples and save some $$.

Missed m/c 10/25/10 @ 11.5 weeks

• Loading the player...
  • How long has he been on Isomil?  It takes a few weeks for them to "adjust" to something new, as I recall.  So it may be worth giving the Isomil a full trial before changing him again.  Just an idea.

I would suggest that if you don't have to go all the way to Nutramigen yet, you don't go.  There's other "gentle" formula types and "fussiness" formulas that might help without getting to the point (and expense) of the hydrolyzed protein formulas.

DS has been on Alimentum (the "Coke" to Nutramigen's "Pepsi") for a few months now, and he has tolerated it well.  He was diagnosed with reflux and a dairy and soy sensitivity early on, and I BF and then pumped until the past few months, started supplementing and now he is on all formula.  We are using RTF (to the tune of about $10 a day) because it is also corn-free, and I was avoiding most allergens for him unti quite recently - luckily he hasn't reacted to small amounts of corn in purees we made, so we may try to the powder soon.

Hope your LO's belly finds a formula it likes soon.  :)

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
    BFP #2 2/2011
    Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
    Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagesandyd:

How long has he been on Isomil?  It takes a few weeks for them to "adjust" to something new, as I recall.  So it may be worth giving the Isomil a full trial before changing him again.  Just an idea.

I would suggest that if you don't have to go all the way to Nutramigen yet, you don't go.  There's other "gentle" formula types and "fussiness" formulas that might help without getting to the point (and expense) of the hydrolyzed protein formulas.

DS has been on Alimentum (the "Coke" to Nutramigen's "Pepsi") for a few months now, and he has tolerated it well.  He was diagnosed with reflux and a dairy and soy sensitivity early on, and I BF and then pumped until the past few months, started supplementing and now he is on all formula.  We are using RTF (to the tune of about $10 a day) because it is also corn-free, and I was avoiding most allergens for him unti quite recently - luckily he hasn't reacted to small amounts of corn in purees we made, so we may try to the powder soon.

Hope your LO's belly finds a formula it likes soon.  :)

Thanks.. we were on the soy for just over 2 weeks.. see above response to first PP.. in a lot of ways it seemed to be helping, but in some ways things seemed to be worse.. 

I don't think the nutramigen is the answer, either.. the first 3 bottles we gave him of the nutramigen he threw up.  DS has never had issues with vomitting before.  So, this was new.  I ended up having to call the pediatrician last night to see what we're supposed to do.. she has us doing half soy/half nutramigen bottles.  He had one at midnight, and tolerated it.. his next one is waiting for him once he wakes up.  Ped has us coming in first thing in the morning so she can exam him -- looking to see if she can feel a twisted bowel, or if there's an issue with his rectum :(

The 3 bottles of nutramigen he had earlier didn't seem to help his fussiness.. but, that's so hard to say why he was fussing.. part of me thinks he was just still hungry.. since, he vomited up most of each of those bottles.. but after giving him the half/half bottle, he's done nothing but GRUNT all evening.. I kept him in my bedroom next to my bed because I was so worried about him throwing up in his sleep.. instead, I just laid awake all night listening to him grunt and moan, wimper, then grunt and moan again.. 

I will ask about the Alimentum -- and the corn allergy.. I read that Nutramigen uses corn syrup as a sweetener, and Alimentum uses sucrose.. perhaps there's something to that?  Also can look into the ready made formula -- I've been told before that they are prepared differently.. 

Thanks for your tips.. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"