VBAC success with a "small pelvis"? *Update* with more ?'s — The Bump
VBAC

VBAC success with a "small pelvis"? *Update* with more ?'s

Did anyone have success after having a c-section due to a small pelvis the first time around? Also coupled with not dialating past 4 cm. I am wondering if things have or could change this time!

Stories?

Update: Doctor is on board and willing to try, etc. She did schedule me for a growth u/s for my 36 week appt to see how big baby is, etc. Is this normal? Do you think she is trying to scare me out of trying? She also said she was going to check my cervix next time too. Do you think she is being supportive or proving to me that it might not happen? Oh and baby is head down and his/her back is to my front as of today. Is this promising?!

6 & 2 year old, 2 losses

Re: VBAC success with a "small pelvis"? *Update* with more ?'s

• I did. With my first daughter I dilated fully (was induced) and pushed for 2 hours. She was stuck, went in for a section, my OB told me my pelvis was too small to deliver a baby. My second I successfully VBACed. Also induced (high blood pressure/borderline pre-e with both). Pushed for 3 hours, DD was stuck, needed forceps assistance to deliver.

Both times the baby was "sunny side up." The first OB did nothing about it, the second employed techniques while I was in labor to turn her, which happened successfully.

I believe it's very rare for your pelvis to be too small to deliver a baby. I'm sure it can happen and has happened, but I think it's exceedingly rare and that your body generally will not "grow" a baby too large for you to deliver.

image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • To answer your one question- I did not have a growth ultraound (my first was over 10 lbs, but my midwife didn't feel that his size contributed to the c/s).  Ultrasounds after 24 weeks or so are extremely inaccurate and can be off by as much as 2 lbs in either direction.  Doctors often use it as an excuse to go for a c/s after pretending to be VBAC friendly.  Not saying this is your doctor.  But you can always decline the ultrasound if you want.

But I agree that generally, your body makes babies that you can birth.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • I also got stuck at 4 cm after being induced. They had already broken my water so there was no going back. Doc said I "needed" a c section.

My doctor told me after my c-section my small pelvis could have never birthed my 7 pound 7 oz baby. Stick out tongue

I went on to VBAC a 8 pound 11 oz babySmile she fit just fine. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • image wendylaine:

I also got stuck at 4 cm after being induced. They had already broken my water so there was no going back. Doc said I "needed" a c section.

My doctor told me after my c-section my small pelvis could have never birthed my 7 pound 7 oz baby. Stick out tongue

I went on to VBAC a 8 pound 11 oz babySmile she fit just fine. 

Ah yes! This is the kind of story I want to hear! Nice work, Mama! What was different in your 2nd pregnancy? Did you go into labor on your own? More pressure? Pelvic pain leading up to delivery?

6 & 2 year old, 2 losses
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards