March 2012 Moms

time to drop the swaddler

It just feels like time.  Suggestions?  

She sleeps swaddled at night, but there were 3 nights this summer when it was too hot and she slept in a diaper in the rnp.  I've tried putting her down in her crib without it and she just doesn't go to sleep.  I've heard about leaving 1 arm out, then both, but it's her waving arms that seem to keep her up.  DD1 was out of it by 3.5 months.  During the day she usually naps in the rip, but if she's super-fussy I swaddle her and put her in her crib.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: time to drop the swaddler

• Do you really have to if she is sleeping ok? I would not have except DD learned to turn herself over with no arms and would end up face down. We had amazing sleep in our swaddle days and now she is all over the map. I, too, have an arm flailer. I miss swaddling so much. Dr. Karp says some babies need it till 9 or 10 months.
  • Thanks for the input!  Maybe I'll hang on to it for a little while longer.  I think I just didn't want to buy another size up just to drop it in a few weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD finds her hands way too delicious to sleep unswaddled. So, at 5 months, she is still sleeping swaddled. She hasn't figured out how to roll over in the swaddle yet, so we're leaving her wrapped up. I tried going to a sleep slack, but that was 3 miserable nights that no one slept, so we went back to the swaddle. Part of the reason was that she needed the next size up. Desperate for sleep, my husband went out and bought 2 of the larges. Getting sleep is a huge motivator ;-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As long as she's not rolling over and she sleeps well in it, I agree with PP - I'd keep it.  We swaddled DS until 5 1/2 months and probably could have done it for longer but I knew we'd be dealing with some rough nights when we eventually dropped it and I wanted to get those nights out of the way before going back to work (DH and I are both teachers).  There were a few times when I tried to de-swaddle earlier and his arms woke him up, so I re-swaddled and would try again in a few weeks.  That would be my suggestion for your DD.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"