May 2011 Moms
Options

Any non-talkers?

I saw the non-walker post below, and that got me wondering how many others have LOs that aren't saying anything yet? When she falls or drops something, she says "bop" (I think a version of when I say "plop"?), and I think she may have said "up" once or twice when she wanted us to pick her up, but that's it. I mean, she makes consonant sounds (bababa, mamamama, etc.) but no words, and she definitely understands a lot of what we say, she's just not saying it herself yet.

We're raising her bilingually (DH is German), so I don't know if that is playing a role, but the studies I've read have said it usually doesn't.

Anyone else have non-talkers?

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

Re: Any non-talkers?

• Options
    There's a lot of mama, dada, uh oh and ah for up but nothing else. She likes to imitate us with things we say but nothing really clear.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I could be so wrong, but I thought raising a bilingual child may influence when they start talking.  In the long run they will catch up completely, but at first there may be a slight lag in the number of words they say.  With all the kids I have worked with the bilingual ones spoke just as well (this is with 3/4 year olds).
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagepam1005:
    I could be so wrong, but I thought raising a bilingual child may influence when they start talking.  In the long run they will catch up completely, but at first there may be a slight lag in the number of words they say.  With all the kids I have worked with the bilingual ones spoke just as well (this is with 3/4 year olds).

This.  Speaking two languages typically delays early language development.  This is not a bad thing though, as being bilingual really benefits a child in the long run.  Like PP said, children who are a bit behind initially (because of learning multiple languages) are caught up before they'd enter school and it doesn't pose a problem.

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options

Our daughter babbles all the time and points for EVERYTHING. She gives signs for "all done." She says Muh for milk/more. And as of now that is about it.

I didn't start talking until I was 16 months old at all. And she definitely is trying to communicate--so I am not worried yet.

My daughter is my hero.
  • Options
    My daughter says mama dada kitty.  Thats it.  She signs for all done.  Lifts her arms up for up.  But she understands practically EVERYTHING.  I don't think you have anything to be worried about yet.  I also heard that bilingual babies start talking later.
    If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We hear a lot of bababa, mamama, dadada etc but not any real words. He did point at a dog and clearly said "doggie" once. He points and gestures a lot though.  I have noticed even though he's not saying words his babbling has started to have more of a sound like sentences, his tone changes etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Audrey says uh-oh, dada, and a high pitched da for dog. She does a handful of signs and babbles a lot. I have a friend who's son is a month older than Audrey and is learning 3 languages. He just barely learned to walk but he can say several words in all three languages. 
  • Options
    We only have mama, dada and baba and some baby talk right now. But Logan is learning three languages so it might take a bit longer.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 BFP 03/26/13 IT'S A BOY! Please Be Our Rainbow! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Another bilingual kid here and only a couple words. He says dada, baby (beh-bee), ball (buh) and sometimes mommy but it sounds more like meh-mee so I don't know if he means mommy. I have heard as well that bilingual kids take a little longer but that they are processing both languages and know how to tell them apart and switch back and forth. Recently I have noticed he understands when I ask things like "where is your ball?" or "where's tito (our dog)?" and he understands both in spanish and english, he'll walk around until he sees it and points but won't say anything. He babbles constantly, he talks all day long, but it's all gibberish...and it sounds so stinking cute!
  • Options
    she's not talking much but she's comprehending a lot.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    DS says da-da, ma-ma and na-na. He babbles a ton, but no real words. I think he understands a few things that we say.
  • Options

Dada, Mama and up are the only words.

Lots of babbles

• Options
    No words at all, even baby versions. And no extra languages or signing. Just random babbling.
  • Options

imagepinkflipflops44:
    she's not talking much but she's comprehending a lot.

Ditto. We get "dat" all the time when he points to stuff though. I'm think that's his "What's that?".

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mmmm...cake! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have a non-talker! He knows words and what they're for but he doesn't say much often. From my days as a PS teacher bi-lingual children take longer, but then they have twice the vocab :D
  • Options

Dominic is really only saying Mama and Dada with any consistency. He's learning Spanish, English and of course hears a lot of German here in Germany (who would have thought). I think it definitely has to do with all of the languages around him. He does some signs I don't know how many, maybe about 10. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"