School-Aged Children

What age did you let your child start going into the fridge on their own?

Just curious.  DS is 4.5 and DH and I still don't let him go into the fridge on his own.  TIA.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Re: What age did you let your child start going into the fridge on their own?

• DD is 5 (as of This past March) and we started a few weeks ago.  It's more to make her responsible for her own snacks than allowing her.  
  • i have 2 stepchildren and they are 6 (almost 7), and 4.5. 6 year old goes in there to get things when we ask her to and if they have leftover drinks in there they both get in there to take drinks but they don't pull food or snacks out on their own.
  • Loading the player...
  • My kids are almost 8 and 12.  They still ask permission, but they get their own stuff and choose their own portions.   They know that they're allowed to have a snack midway between breakfast and lunch and midway between lunch and dinner.  If they've just snacked or eaten, but they are feeling munch-y, they'll chew gum or get a drink of water instead of eating.

For the 12 y/o, asking is just a courtesy at this point.  If I think a snack is really unwise, I'll discuss why and let her figure out what to do.

My son is starting to be more reasonable about his snacks.  A year ago, if I'd let him get his own snacks whenever he wanted, he'd have been eating all day long.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • My girls are 6 and just about 4 1/2 and they can get their own things out of the fridge within reason, same with the pantry.  I can't remember when they started but I know my older DD has been doing it for around a year and my little one started soon after since she does whatever her big sis does!!!  They know what they can eat but they know they have to ask first - at dinner, after they have eaten what is on the table, if they are still hungry, we keep some things in the fridge they can get and they get their own morning snack (they eat at school/camp so they have something before we take them) out the night before and we rarely have to help them.  Older DD has been doing great with making most of her lunches for camp and picking out the snack she needs to bring as well.  We are not home a ton on the weekends so they don't typically just go grab something as a snack but I would have no issue if they did in between meals if they ask first.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • image-auntie-:

Let?

I'm all about independence. DS had a shelf with snacks and a drink from the time he could open the door. maybe 2 1/2?

Yeah, about this age too. I am not the maid or the short order cook. As long as they clean up and don't leave a mess, I really don't care. None of them overeat, and there aren't any foods in the house that are particularly unhealthy. Right now the unhealthiest thing in my fridge is diet cola, and they don't like it. They'd rather decimate the stash of milk and nectarines.

• As soon as he could open it, DD can but rarely does but she hands me drinks to pour. Why won't you let him?
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • From the time the showed an interest and they could get what they wanted without a mess. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • He could open the fridge when he was under two. I have no idea when we started "letting" him do it, but at this point, it has been years. Heck, he makes his own breakfast and lunch now.
  • DD will turn 5 next Monday!  She has been going in the fridge on her own for a few months now.  She always asks if she can get a snack (from the pantry) or will say she is thirsty.  Most of the time, she has a drink that was left over from the day before (juice, water, milk) that we have her put away when she is done drinking.  So when she says she is thirsty I just tell her to go and get a drink.  She can now open the fridge so it makes it a lot easier.

And to me it also teaches responsibility and respect.  If she is "old" enough, "big" enough to open up the fridge to get her drink, she is old/big enough to put the drink away when she is done if she didn't finish it.  Plus, I got lucky where I didn't teach her to ask for permission before getting a drink/snack, it just sort of happened.  But if it hadn't happened, I would have taught it.

If there isn't a drink for her, I have to get one for her as she isn't able to do that yet.  But her snacks are on the bottom shelf of the pantry and the only snack that she would have in the fridge would be fruit which is at the bottom as well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD couldnt open the fridge at our old house but she can at our new house. She can get her own drinks but she knows to ask for snacks so I can help her.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DSs (7 and 5) are allowed to get out drinks and fruit / veggies anytime they want. If they want something else, they need to ask. It is not about independence to me, it is more that they need to learn heathy eating habits. If they want a snack, they can get fruit and veggies. If they do not want those, they can wait for the next meal. My DS1 gets an apple almost everyday, while my DS2 rarely eats outside of meal times (and snack at school).

Mother of two wonderful boys! Blessed through adoption.

• With the oldest, probably around 5.  We let her get her own cereal in the morning on weekends.  

My youngest has been getting his own breakfast since he was about 2, but he sees his 2 older sisters doing it and wants to be just like them.  We obviously help him but he'll throw the door open and pick the yogurt he wants.   

• I have no clue...probably around 4 or 5 for a snack, but I'm not usually one to have prepackaged things, so I still have to help a lot. Especially since she's a midge and all our dishes are up high.
  • Thanks ladies for all of the replies.  I had been thinking that now is a good age for DS to obtain this priviledge.  DH was slightly on a different page than I was (thinking DS would try to grab a whole bunch of stuff) but we talked about it and agreed.  Now we allow DS to ask if he can get this or that.

He did it for the first time yesterday (waterbottle in the fridge) after he asked permission.  DS and I were both excited (cheesy, I know :-) Another great milestone :-)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• 3.5 seemed to be the turning point for both kids.  All that they can really get is fruit or a yoghurt though. 

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • My oldest two are 8&12 and they still do not go in the fridge or pantry.

Sometimes my oldest will refill the milk glasses at dinner. 

• My son's 14 months and goes in the fridge by himself, usually in near by, he usually just looks around and if he's hungry he will usually pull out a carrot or point to left overseas and ask for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"