Parenting after a Loss
Options

Trisomy 16

So my husband and I have suffered 3mc. June 2008, November 3008, and may 2009... All were confirmed trisomy 16 babies. I wasn't ready to try again at that time but now we are. Has anyone had success?

Re: Trisomy 16

• Options

:::lurking:::

I am so sorry for your losses. While my experience is a little different from yours, my Fi and I lost a baby girl at 29wks due to Trisomy 18. That was almost 2 years ago and we are now getting ready to celebrate our DS 1st birthday. So yes we did have success after our loss. I know when we were going through our loss it was suggested that we go for genetic counselling, I am not sure if that would be an option for you but I would look into it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • Options
    I love hearing success stories! We haven't had any testing done, my husband... Bless his soul, says if we are meant to be parents it will happen. I feel a huge void and I know he does to. I want so badly to give it a go but am unsure if I can handle the heartbreak. Do you think it's beneficial if we start with just me?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageScout2005:

imageMhempel80:
    I love hearing success stories! We haven't had any testing done, my husband... Bless his soul, says if we are meant to be parents it will happen. I feel a huge void and I know he does to. I want so badly to give it a go but am unsure if I can handle the heartbreak. Do you think it's beneficial if we start with just me?

Yes, I think so.

The thing is, and with all respect to your husband and his beliefs, if there is a transolcation going on, it requires intervention for a healthy pregnancy to occur. Often, we're talking IVF with PGD. Again, I am NOT an expert, I'm just speaking from the experiences of friends who have gone through this, as well as our own experience with recurrent loss.

My pregnancies would not have been successful without intervention. My kids were meant to be,  it just required some effort on our parts to get them here. (At least, that's how I look at it.)

Can you put it to him like this - the meant to be part is finding a doctor with the skill and training to locate and treat the problem?

I couldn't agree more. One T16 baby is a fluke...3 are a pattern. If you want a take home baby, now is not the time for your DH to put his head in the sand. Something funky is going on. It's not worth going through loss after loss in an effort to maybe get lucky when a few dr appts will give you the info you need and a pathway to have a chance at a healthy baby.

After our first baby, it ws revealed I had testing done that I had a genetic condition that needed to be managed in order for me to grow healthy babies. I now am going on two healthy babies following this regiment. Which I wouldn't have had otherwise. I'd say my two babies were "meant to be".
    It's like telling a cancer patient not to bother with treatment because it's better if the gods decide if s/he should live or die.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options

We had 2 losses before this pregnancy. The 1st was untested, 2nd Tri 13. 

This baby has no signs of any problems. Get genetic counseling and see what they say. That way you will know what the odds are of having a healthy pregnancy.

Before our genetic counseling we decided if the odds were better than 50% of having a healthy baby we'd try again, and then go from there. 

8/27/10 MC at 14 wks ~ 5/22/11 David was Stillborn at 23 wks Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

I am so very sorry for your losses.  Trisomy 16 is actually the most common cause of loss FWIW.

I hope you are seeking an REI to do a full work up including karyotype for both you and your husband as well as all of the blood clotting disorders.

I had three losses and only one did we perform a karyotype on it.  I sincerely hope that for you 4th times is a charm.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"