2nd Trimester
Options

Fundal Height Dependent on Height?

I have not had a chance to ask my OB, but it seems to me just by palpating that my uterus is measuring higher than the growth charts I have seen would indicate. At 15w3d it is just below my belly button. I am only 5'3" and have a shorter torso... is my height the reason it seems high? Am I palpating incorrectly?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Fundal Height Dependent on Height?

• Options
    I don't believe that maternal height plays a role in fundal height. Not 100% sure though. I guess you could ask your doctor if you are concerned though. A 15 wk, I believe anything from 12-18cm is normal.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Huh, interesting question.  I would say yes, it will fall differently on different people.  Of course, fundal height actually measures the height of your uterus, not where it falls in your torso so that's going to look different for everyone because not everyone's torso is the same height.

With that said, I'm also short (5'2") and I have a short torso as well.  At my 16 week appointment my uterus was up near my belly button (confirmed by my MW) and looking again at the commonly referenced fundal height charts it does seem higher than the chart would indicate.

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it makes sense that it would vary compared to the charts because people's torsos vary, I was just curious if anyone else was also in a different location than they anticipated.

I have a feeling the charts are based on an "average" woman, who would be about... 5'6"? Definately possible.
  • Options
    I would wait and ask your OB to tell you where your ute is at this point. It's likely it's actually lower than where you think you're feeling it because it's pretty tricky when it's still that low. I thought mine was higher than it really was because of my other organs. You might be a little different because of your height but you OB will definitely help you figure it out - you should have an appointment soon right? Around 16w?
  • Options
    Decaf: I have an appt in a week and a half with my new OB because DH and I are moving this week, I will definately ask just because I am curious. Not concerned at all, it's just interesting!
  • Options
    When I went to the doctor last week, my uterus was about an inch below the belly button - definitely much higher than I thought it was.  The fundal height chart just indicates generally where the top of the uterus should be at the different weeks. Not everyone, or every pregnancy, is the same. Checking the fundal height is a good, cheap way for doctors to see if the pregnancy is progressing at a normal rate without having to do an u/s at every visit. 

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
  • Options
    imagesbevmc09:

Of course, fundal height actually measures the height of your uterus, not where it falls in your torso so that's going to look different for everyone because not everyone's torso is the same height.

Ditto this exactly!  Fundal height is measured from pubic bone to the top of the uterus.  On someone who is 5'0" a 20cm fundal height is going to fall in a very different place than on someone who is 6'0" tall with a 20cm fundal height.  So no, your fundal height will not vary based on how tall you are.  Where that particular fundal height is located in your abdomen will vary, and explains why these charts that show where your uterus "should" be may be off for very short or very tall people. 

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • Options
    No, this is a pretty consistent measurement for all women. Doesn't depend on your height :)
    image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • Options
    imagelittlemaybaby:
    imagesbevmc09:

Of course, fundal height actually measures the height of your uterus, not where it falls in your torso so that's going to look different for everyone because not everyone's torso is the same height.

Ditto this exactly!  Fundal height is measured from pubic bone to the top of the uterus.  On someone who is 5'0" a 20cm fundal height is going to fall in a very different place than on someone who is 6'0" tall with a 20cm fundal height.  So no, your fundal height will not vary based on how tall you are.  Where that particular fundal height is located in your abdomen will vary, and explains why these charts that show where your uterus "should" be may be off for very short or very tall people. 

Exactly! The actual measurement is important, not where it falls on your abdomen.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"