Natural Birth
Options

Foley Bulb

Does anyone here have any experience with the foley bulb? My ticker is off, I am actually 39 weeks. I haven't changed it since they changed my due date some months back. I have gestational hypertension so my doctor wants the baby out soon. She inserted the foley bulb this afternoon and so far I have only had some mild cramping.

I was really disappointed when my doctor decided to induce because my husband and I took the Bradley classes and really want a natural birth. My practice is a hospital based midwifery with 3 doctors and 4 midwives. They are very supportive of natural birth. That is why they are trying the foley bulb first since it does not require medicine.  I am scheduled to go to the hospital at 6:30 tomorrow morning and depending on how far I have progressed will determine their next step.  I am really hoping I won't require any more interventions. Any words of wisdom or experience with the Foley Bulb/induction without the use of pain meds? Thank you in advance. Sorry if I am rambling. I am just super nervous and apprehensive. I really wanted to be able to labor naturally at home for as long as possible. :o/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Foley Bulb

• Options

I haven't had any experience with it myself, but I've heard that the foley catheter can be really helpful to start an induction without then needing medicine.

I just wanted to wish you good luck with your induction progress and hopefully you'll get to meet your LO soon!

• Options
    imagemystrana:

I haven't had any experience with it myself, but I've heard that the foley catheter can be really helpful to start an induction without then needing medicine.

I just wanted to wish you good luck with your induction progress and hopefully you'll get to meet your LO soon!

Thank you so much for your sweet words of encouragement! :)  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

No experience here either, but I have seen lots of women say that you can have the drs adjust the Pit level.  As in, start it low and gradually increase but stop or turn it back down once your body picks up the contractions on its own.  I hope that makes sense, like I said, I haven't done it.

Good luck!

• Options

Also, I know you said you have hypertension but if your NSTs are good, can they push back the induction another couple days?  Not trying to upset or confuse you, I'm just trying to think of some other options.

Take care :)

• Options
    No input here either...I just wanted to say good luck with everything and I hope you can still have the birth you desire. If things get rough just remember you will be holding your sweet little girl very soon! 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I will be having the foley bulb placed in 10days( holy crap) due to medical conditions. I also wanted to get induced as naturally as possible. After the foley they will break my waters if I haven't started anything. Unfortunately if that doest work I need to start piton. I imagine it will be a similar situation for you? Good luck!
  • Options
    I had one with DD1. Honestly, the most uncomfortable part was the tape they used to secure the strings to my thigh. It got me to 4 cm with only mild cramping. If I need to be induced this time around, it would be one of the first things I would try after home remedies. HTH!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did the foley bulb the night before induction. It pushed me from a loose 3 to a 4 by the time we went in. We did have to use pitocin, but they only increased it hourly and started super low. I made it through no epi...had a little sta-dol(sp?) to take the edge off after our stupid nurse upped the pitocin at the end when she wasn't supposed to. The dr. Turned it back down when I got that and I managed throu the rest med free. 
    ME: 30 DH: 30
    TTC #1 since 3/2010
    DX: Unclear-potential MF (low motility, borderline count); currently unexplained
    Ultrasound/HSG- Feb 2011
    Lap: May 2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #1: 6/2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #2: 7/2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #3: 8/2011
    9/2011 Switched REs...and more testing
    DX: Unexplained- borderline MFI
    IVF #1: 11/09/2011- BFP!!
    Beta #1: 241; Beta #2: 666
    Ultrasound scheduled for 5w6d
    Baby girl born 8.14.12
This discussion has been closed.