3rd Trimester
Options

Effacement

How long before labor does effacement start?  It's really important to me that my mom be in the room during labor (for practical reasons - she knows my bizarre medical history better than any OB will, and she will stand up for me so I don't end up unable to care for myself again.)  She was planning on coming out when I start effacing, but I can't find anywhere how long before labor it starts.
DS born 12/2012
Little Squeaker due 6/2015

Re: Effacement

• Options
    That can start weeks, like 4-6 weeks, before labor. It doesnt always happen right before labor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have been fully effaced for over a month now, and you can see by my ticker how much good that did me. Tongue Tied
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been 100% effaced since 36 weeks and I will be 38 weeks Monday.
  • Options

Anything in labor can change drastically in a very fast way. You could be at ZERO effacement and go into labor within a couple hours pop out a baby.

How far away is your mom? Does she have to fly to get to you? 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Options
    I was 50% effaced (1 cm) at 35 weeks, still 50% (3 cm) at 36 weeks, 75% (still 3 cm) at 37, 90% (still 3 cm) at 38 weeks, and DS was born at 39 weeks. My first internal was at 35 weeks so it could have been earlier than that. So, yeah, it could be many weeks before you have the baby. Same with dilation. You can't really go by either to tell when baby will come.

• Options
    Well, when I first was checked at 35 weeks I was 75 percent effaced. I have been checked every week since then. Still here waiting and overdue. So, effacement doesn't mean labor is right around the corner. 
  • Options
    With my 2nd DS I was 3cm and 80% effaced for 3 weeks before giving birth..with this one #3, at my 36 week appt I was already a fingertip dialated and 75% effaced...and am still pregnant here....so I wouldn't base her coming on your effacement honestly. Good luck!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers ~Stacy Drake 5-25-05 Jackson 3-16-08 Baby Girl EDD 9-14-12
  • Options

Yes, she's halfway across the country.  She'll definitely have to fly to get here.

DS born 12/2012
  • Options
    It really really varies. Technically I was 25% effaced at 22 weeks, but apparently that is just the way I'm made (my cervix is shorter than normal) and it continued to shorten/efface gradually from that point on. I was 75% effaced on a Wednesday and delivered that Friday but other women can be effaced for weeks with no labor.
  • Options
    Wow.  Yeah, I'm just going to see if she can come a week before my due date (Thanksgiving is 10 days prior.)  She's checking to see if her boss will let her work remotely if DS drags his feet. 
    DS born 12/2012
  • Options
    I started effacing 5 weeks ago and haven't had a change since.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"