Natural Birth

Black/Blue Cohosh

I've known a few people who used a combination of Black and Blue Cohosh for ease in labor.  I am seriously considering using it but when do you start taking it?  I'll be 39 weeks on Sunday, going for a natural home birth.  I've been taking Red raspberry leaf for about a month now so hopefully my cervix is nice and soft!  My midwives just confirmed yesterday that the baby has dropped and really low.  So when do I start with the cohosh?

Re: Black/Blue Cohosh

• The cohoshes are intense stuff.  I don't mess with them unless my clients are working with an herbalist, or a midwife who has recommended it and knows how to use it properly.
  • Thanks for the info, I'll have to research a bit more.

• Loading the player...
  • Don't use BLUE cohosh. It used to be considered safe but is no longer recommended, even in late pregnancy. Black cohosh is still ok. I'm a herbal medicine student and I've had multiple teachers stress this. One, a Lakota Tribe elder medicine man, said that blue cohosh will make the child angry. I know that's a bit trippy but thought you'd like to know :)
  • Have you tried evening primrose oil?  You insert it vaginally and it's supposed to help soften the cervix.  I didn't know RRL tea was supposed to soften the cervix, I thought it just toned the uterus?  I don't have any cohosh experience.  My bff used it with her 3rd, but it didn't cause labor to start.  I haven't tried any of that stuff though, well, except the RRL tea, but it's nasty tasting imo, so I don't use it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • image00jennifer00:

Have you tried evening primrose oil?  You insert it vaginally and it's supposed to help soften the cervix.  I didn't know RRL tea was supposed to soften the cervix, I thought it just toned the uterus?  I don't have any cohosh experience.  My bff used it with her 3rd, but it didn't cause labor to start.  I haven't tried any of that stuff though, well, except the RRL tea, but it's nasty tasting imo, so I don't use it.

This is true. I credit it with my fairly fast labor...didn't like the tea either, but they make capsules of it that you can swallow and have the same uterus toning effect, FYI :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"