Preemies

How long did it take for your baby to learn how to feed?

Im sure every baby is different but my DD is doing so well but she has to learn to feed before she can come home.  She is soooo soooo sleepy all of the time and just doesn't stay awake or interested enough to barely feed before they decide to put it down her tube.  She is currently on fenobarb (sp) for possible seizures and I know that makes her sleepy but it just doesn't seem normal, she probably sleeps about 22 hours a day (no joke). 

My DD actually wasn't a preemie but she flatlined for 7 minutes after birth so she has been thru some pretty dramatic stuff since birth and all of her organs are still working pretty hard to catch up and get strong.  But I must say she is doing great and this is where we stand is with her feeding.  To me it just seems like it should be such an easy thing, probably because I love to eat :) But I know that is not the case for baby.  Is there any advice you can give me or anything I can do to help her feed more and stay awake.

TIA

pregnancy week by week

Re: How long did it take for your baby to learn how to feed?

• I had feeding issues with Chase as well. That was actually the only reason he got stuck  in the NICU. It took a few days but you just have to really work with them. Do whatever you can to try to get them awake, play with their feet... unwrap any swaddling, take their hat off... things like that. During a feeding the NICU nurses all had advice about feeding, what seemed to work was feeding him sitting up not cradled, tapping on the end of the bottle during a feed and gently pulling it in and out (Don't twist).

They would allow us 30 minutes to feed him and if we didn't get the minimum down him they would tube feed the rest. I was there at every single feeding, until they took out the NG tube. I knew the nurses were better at feeding than I was but I had the feeling that they wouldn't try as hard and just tube the food. He had to be off the tube for three days prior to release... After 6 days in the NICU, he just sort of got it and started eating what they wanted plus some and then three days later he was released. All in all he had 10 CC's tubed total. I think he only had to have 10cc's tubed because I worked so hard with him.

I really do think that after a while they just suddenly figure it out! 

chasechristmas

Chase Matthew born at 35 weeks on July 31st

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• One trick my nurses told me, was to gently rub their hand or foot between your fingers to help keep them awake. Another was to rub lightly under their neck. My DD is a preemie (born at 29 weeks) and I would say it took her between one and two weeks to go from her first attempt at bottle feedings to 100% bottle feedings, but she really picked it up over the course of only 2-3 days, going from about 65% oral feedings at 35 mL per feed, up to 100% oral feedings and taking anywhere from 40-65 mL per feed. She took off more quickly in those 2-3 days then she did in the entire week and a half before that. It really can happen very, very quickly. Not familiar with the experience of flat-lining at birth, but I'm hoping that since she was term she will pick it up more quickly than my DD.
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"