March 2012 Moms
Options

In laws are idiots

I normally am just a lurker but I need to rant for a minute. Sorry in advance. We're spending the whole weekend with my husband's family. For the most part, we get along fine, just the normal in law stuff. Of course it's worse now that I have a baby and hand washing was a foreign concept to them until I stepped in, but hey, we have all survived under the same roof before. Today MIL was cutting up cantaloupe on the counter. I told them I heard it was recalled, got out the iPad and updated them on TODAY's recall from the FDA. MIL (who btw is a RD and food service director of a school system) asks her mom ( baby's g gma) if she should throw it out... G gma says " it's fine, I bought it yesterday, just eat it" and continues to serve it to the whole fam. I told them to go ahead and get salmonella; I've had it and it sucks. Seriously? All weekend with these people? Thank god DS doesn't have teeth yet or I am sure they would be trying to feed him Killer Cantaloupe.

Re: In laws are idiots

• Options
    If your like me the killer cantaloupe is the "icing on the cake"!  My hubbys grandfather tries to give Peyton suckers!! Seriously, he is 5 months old!!!! I could b**ch about a lot of things the in laws do to me and my baby but sometimes they just top it off with something like this!  Rather you can wash a cantaloupe or not it is the fact you voiced your concern and they did not repect or listen to to you. Respect goes a long way on both ends. Hang in there!  Hopefully the weekend will be over soon!
  • Options
    I completely understand. It was nice that you tried to warn them, guess next time just let them get sick. jk. Atleast you have the smarts to pay attention to the warnings and recalls. Being sick would only make the weekend longer. Hope the rest isn't terrible!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I understand washing fruit before eating... And I also understand having salmonella. I also was pregnant during the listeria outbreak with cantaloupes this past winter. And I did not eat any because fetal compromise was not more valuable than eating fruit. My point was, my in laws are idiots and are unnecessarily serving something that is very likely harmful. Let's all eat raw chicken and see who gets sick....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"