TTC after 35
Options

RE visit--the news could have been better. :(

Today I met with my RE to discuss all my and dh's test results.  The good news is that I am completely capable of getting pg--all tests were good and HSG showed clear tubes.  The bad news is that although dh has plenty of swimmers that are fast and active, they don't complete the last step.  Apparently they can get to the egg but just don't penetrate it.  His "Kruger" test result was 4%.  My RE likes to see 10%.  The "good" category is 4%-14% so it is not impossible to get my pg but kind of unlikely.  Although she said she has seen "miracles" before. Sad

She suggested moving on to IVF but I just cannot afford $15,000 so we will not pursue anything else.  

This is just what I was afraid of.  If they had told me about dh months ago when the test results were in, I could have made the decision to skip the HSG and saved the $500.  Knowing what I know now, it makes no difference if my tubes are clear or not. 

Me: 40 Dh: 41, TTC since August 2009, began Acupuncture and Herbs Sept 2011, began Temping and Charting Nov 2011. image

Re: RE visit--the news could have been better. :(

• Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling down about the results, but I wanted to mention that alot of REs consider morph to be the least important of the SA numbers. If the others were all okay, I am really surprised they would recommend jumping straight to IVF instead of IUI.

DH scored low on Kruger morph too, but the only reason our RE suggested IVF was because of my DOR dx. Just my 2 cents not sure it's worth even that much! I am still rooting for you and hoping it's your turn soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

wow that really sucks! i know this is devasting news, since you can't move onto IVF. how is your husband taking the news?

hoping you get that miracle. I cannot afford ivf either but am taking the money out of 401k to fund it, I  can only do one cycle so i am hoping for my miracle too.

have a big bottle of wine tonight and just try to stay positive.

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageELF4321:
    I'm sorry you're feeling down about the results, but I wanted to mention that alot of REs consider morph to be the least important of the SA numbers. If the others were all okay, I am really surprised they would recommend jumping straight to IVF instead of IUI. DH scored low on Kruger morph too, but the only reason our RE suggested IVF was because of my DOR dx. Just my 2 cents not sure it's worth even that much! I am still rooting for you and hoping it's your turn soon.

Thank you ELF!  It does make me feel better to know that the morph is the least important to some RE's.  I did ask about IUI and she said that we could do it if I wanted but she recommended saving my money for IVF because the success rate is higher.  Today I am totally crushed by this news but maybe I still have a chance..tomorrow is a new day. Thanks again. 

Me: 40 Dh: 41, TTC since August 2009, began Acupuncture and Herbs Sept 2011, began Temping and Charting Nov 2011. image
  • Options

Oh Llama I'm sorry to hear that you've lost hope.  DH must be feeling pretty low at the moment.

Is there nothing they can do to boost DH's boys performance? 

I really wish you had better news. 

p

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Breast Cancer diagnosis 12/01/2010 - Survivor and Cancer free as of 03/22/2011
    BFP#1 04/12/201
    1 - fetal demise - MC 05/28/2011
    BFP#2 10/14/2011 - fetal demise - MC 12/13/2011
    BFP#3 05/30/2012 - fetal demise - MC 07/23/2012
    IVF#1 02/14/2013 - 2 Beautiful Blasts transferred
    BFP#4 02/25/2013 - BFP - MC and ectopic 03/06/2013

IFV#2 07/02/2013 -BFP#5 - 07/07/2013
    1st Beta 07/11/2013 - 483 (9dp5dt) - 2nd Beta 07/13/2013 1006 (11dp5dt)
    1st U/S 07/31/2013 - TWINS! "The Minions"
    IVF#3 BFP#6 09/01/2015 6dp5dt
    1st Beta 09/05/2015 - 105 - 2nd Beta 09/08/2015 335
    1st U/S 09/22/2015 - .......

• Options
    Llama - My DH had less than stellar SA results, too.  Just like we are hoping for that one golden egg, we can hope that your DH has a few good swimmers in the mix.  I am proof that it can happen.  I know we got lucky - I hope you can, too!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I am really sorry that the result is not what you want.  Good luck!  As pp said, it might not be as bad as the RE sound.
  • Options
    I have also heard that morph is the least important test and is not always a factor.  I'm not sure what the difference is with the Kruger test but my dh's results showed only 3% morph and I still have gotten pg easily several times.  Those results still sound promising and I hope you get lucky soon.  Plus getting the hsg may have been the boost you needed so don't lose hope yet! 
    TTC since Dec. 2010. Me: 37, DH: 38...unexplained RPL
    BFP #1 - missed m/c 4.18.11 found @8w3d, d&c @13w 
    BFP #2 blighted ovum found 8.2011 @8w, misoprostol
    BFP#3 - missed m/c 6.11.12 @ 9w3d, d&c revealed extra chromosome 15
    BFP#4 8.10.12, DD born 4/26/13
  • Options
    Sorry you didn't get the news that you hoped for but the low end of "good" is still good. And all of your tests came out well which is encouraging so I'm still pulling for ya!
    Me 39 & suspected PCOS, DH 42. Went off BCP when we got married in 11/11, seriously TTC since 3/12.  Six cycles of clomid = BFNs.  Suspected endometriosis & HSG showed both tubes blocked.  Sept 2013 IVF 5D transfer of two perfect embryos = BFN.  Started acupuncture and taking time off to drop some pounds & get healthier before FET in April 2014.
  • Options
    I wouldn't jump into IVF based on one SA anyway.  I'm sorry about the bad news.  I hope you get your miracle.  4% is not zero, so you still have a chance.
    Me: 38, PCOS/ DH: 37

DD born 12.21.09, conceived w/ injects and IUI

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

BFP 2.6.12 m/c 6w5d | BFP 5.25.12 c/p

-Back to the RE-

3 medicated IUIs, all BFN

-Taking a break from treatment-

BFP 11.20.12 ~ EDD 7.28.13

image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Chart
  • Options

I agree with pps-- you guys are not out yet!

I wonder if there isn't anything else DH can do to get better morph %-- I mean, they're making this determination based on 1 little SA, the results of which can vary depending on DH's health, stress levels, etc.-- at least to some degree. Can he add some vitamins or change his diet to help boost his sperm health?

And if you are looking all good, then at least you have time to save up for some of the more expensive treatments...? 

I think it was lame for them to wait before giving you the SA results-- maybe it would have made more sense to get a couple SAs run to compare the trend before doing the HSG...

Either way, though-- YOU ARE NOT OUT!! Keep trucking along... 4% is still in the "good/normal" range...

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Options

So sorry to hear the news wasn't so good.  :(  Have you considered getting a second opinion?  I think I would before spending $15000. 

Melissa

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
  • Options
    I also have never heard that morph. is that important. Our REs have only cared about total motile sperm. And, if his count and motility are good, then there is no reason you couldn't do IUI. I hope you and your DH can figure things out from here. Good luck.
    TTC #1 since June 2010
    Me: 36, DH: 42
    Dx: DOR and MFI

DH: low count + very low motility; hormones all normal; Sperm DNA Frag. test = poor to fair; male karyotyping normal
    Me: FSH 13.4 + AMH 0.26 + hypothyroidism; Scratch the hypothyrodism (?); Blood clotting and immune panel all negative; endometrial biopsy normal

IVF #1 (MDLF - Jul/Aug 2011): BFN (9R, 5M, 3F with ICSI, 3dt of 1 10-cell grade 2, no frosties)
    IVF #2 (EP-antagonist - Sep/Oct 2011): BFN (6R, 4M, 3F w/ ICSI, 3dt of 1 6-cell, 1 7-cell, grade 4s, no frosties)
    DE IVF #1 (shared cycle - June 2012): c/p (6R, 6F w/ICSI, 3dt 1 8-cell grade A- and 1 7-cell grade A-; no frosties)
    DE IVF #2 (shared cycle with new donor - Nov/Dec/ 2012): - BFP!!!!! 12/14/12. U/S on 12/27 shows twins!!!!!

SAIFW/PAIFW
  • Options

I echo the other ladies -- don't give up hope!  My husband's morph was also low.  He saw a urologist who specialized in MFI (who is, in fact, in practice with my RE), and his doctor said not necessarily that morph was not that important, but it was what the least was known about (and there was a lack of agreement about how low was too low). Fast forward to my meeting with my RE, where I asked about DH's numbers -- the morph didn't worry him at all.  I think your DH's numbers sound okay, although maybe not super.

I would definitely recommend talking to your RE about IUIs.  They are much more affordable than IVF. I think my last IUI (without ultrasound since I wasn't on clomid yet) was $325.  I know prices vary, but it would definitely be worth looking into (at least, I think so).  

Another thing to think about is that you can deduct any medical expenses that are above 7.5% of your gross income.  (I think this number is correct, I am going by memory here).

Keep the faith, llama!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thank you all so much for your supportive words.  I feel like it is just the kind of ass kicking I needed to get over myself and not worry about what the RE said.  But...

In looking over all the papers she gave me I took a look at my test results.  During the visit, she explained that even though I am 40, my "good" results indicate that I can get pg and the only reason I was not was dh's morph, but I did not actually see my AMH score til I got home.   It's only .63

Isn't that really low?

• Options
    I don't have a ton of knowledge about MF stuff, but for what it's worth my AMH is .74 or .47 don't remember which one, initially my RE said it's low but common for someone my age, so that's one way to look at it. He said its more alarming if my AMH is that number and I was much younger.
    nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!

• Options

imagedhreczuck:
    I don't have a ton of knowledge about MF stuff, but for what it's worth my AMH is .74 or .47 don't remember which one, initially my RE said it's low but common for someone my age, so that's one way to look at it. He said its more alarming if my AMH is that number and I was much younger.

Perhaps that is why my RE meant.. it sure did not seem to be an issue for her at all.  I guess I am not a perfect candidate for getting pg because of my age, but as a 40 yr old she must think my results are good enough.  :)

• Options
    My DH's morph was 4% and I got pregnant on my first IUI (too bad in ended in a missed mc).  I wouldn't count yourself out and it's a good thing to know that your tubes are clear.  I also read that some places consider 4% the lower end of normal and with the stricter criteria that it's really hard to get a high morphology score.  Hang in there.  

TTC 10/11. IUI 2/12. BFP 3/8/12. 4/26/12 missed mc. RE consult 5/17/12. IVF #1 ER 7/13/12 53R, 41M ICSIed, 32F, 8 5d, 6 6d blasts - all PGD/frozen. PGD results 1 normal M and 1 normal F, 1 maybe M. FET 9/6, transferred 1 F embie. Beta 9/15 BFN. FET#2 planned for 11/2012 put off until 2013. Surprise BFP 11/21/12!! My son was born on 7/24/13!

FET 4/28/2015 - Transferred 1 M embie. 5/6/15 BFP!

• Options

Don't give up girl!! Hang in there :)

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Options
    I agree with others definitely get a second opinion if you can and don't give up I think IUI might be the way to go for you and much more reasonable cost wise.

Me 38 MH 41 - TTC since June 2010 - dx with Severe MFI. Straight to IVF with ICSI. IVF #1 - ER 06/13/12 - 9 Eggs Retrieved - 4 ICSI'd - only 2 fert. 06/15/12 - 2DT - 3 cell & 6 cell with fragmentation. Beta 06/29/12 - IVF #1 = BFN. 07/20/12 - WTF Appt -Told by our RE to quit IVF. Second Opinion from RE is good. IVF#2 - November 2012. Estradiol Pills Started 11/6. Stims start 11/16. ER 11/26 - 7 eggs retrieved - all mature. 4 fertilized with ICSI. ET 11/29 Transferred 3 embryos. Beta is 12/10. 1st Beta 81 2nd Beta 160 and 3rd beta 360!!! First U/S 12/21/12 - We saw one beautiful gest. sac. 2nd U/S is 01/04/2013 - H/B 183 02/05/13 - NT Scan - everything looks good and IT'S A BOY!  Aiden was born 08/20/2013.

IVF #2 is in progress.  ER was 05/12/14 - 11 eggs retrieved, 8 fertilized with ICSI.  ET was 05/15/14 - we transferred 3 embryos as we did on the cycle my son was conceived.  We were able to freeze 3 embryos. Beta is scheduled for 05/26/14.  1st beta - 111.  2nd beta - 159 didn't double :( 3rd beta Friday 5/30) - not a lot of hope left. Beta # 3 is 247 - probably ectopic.  Beta # 4 is 813 - possibly vanishing multiple sydrome?  06/05/14 - 5w4days - first U/S - we see a gestational sac and yolk - still have hope!  06/17/14 - 7w1day - U/S and saw and heard the heartbeat - Finally!  06/27/14 - 8w4days - Baby and heartbeat look and sound great :)  EDD 02/01/14 and It's a boy!

"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end."

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Llama, everyone here is pulling for you to be successful.  Nothing related to IF is inexpensive, but ultimately you have to decide if the expense is worth it to you.  When we started looking at DE IVF, I made comparison to "the cost of a new vehicle"......which seemed like pennies compared to something so valuable to us.  Someone mentioned IVF research studies-this might be a good thing for you to research, as all your expenses would be covered.  I also found a program with one of the drug companies that gives a grant for medications for one IVF cycle.  Does your husband have a flexible spending account that he can contribute to?  Get to pay all year on what you put in, but can be reimbursed for IVF expenses anytime after January 1.  One of our strategies is maxing this out in 2013 and using all of it early in year for DE IVF costs.  Do you live in a state that has mandated coverage for IVF treatments?  Can you wait a year or two until you are able to pick of the exchange of medical plans to pick one that covers IVF?  I think that you have more options than you think.  GL-hoping that you get a surprise BFP, before you have to think too long about all this.  Sorry, I know little to nothing about SA results.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    Just thought of one more thing.  You might want to consider mini-IVF.  Cost is I think about a third of traditional IVF.  The focus is different-not focused on getting as many eggs as possible at ER.  Focus is in working with your natural cycle, and retrieving 1-3 eggs.  There is ER and then fertilization is in lab (like regular IVF) and then transfer. Not all REs do mini-IVF, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.  One cycle would give you a really good idea About egg quality-and might really help you know where you stand on continuing.  McIrish had mini-IVF.  We really looked into it seriously, but ultimately decided on DE because of our 3 IVFs that did not result in PG.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options

That really bites, to put it lightly.

Would you be able to afford something less expensive?  There is a place here that does natural cycle IVFs.

Us: 39(me)/41(he). TTC since April '11. DOR/MFI. March '12: surgery to remove fibroids, cysts, and endometriosis.
    IVF #1: 9/13/12. ER: 9/25. 3R, 2M, 1F. ET: 9/28 (1-6B). Beta: moved from 10/11 to 10/10: BFN.
    IVF #2: 11/12 cycle postponed due to Sandy and then cancelled due to elevated E2.
    IVF #2.1 cancelled due to cyst.
    IVF #2.2: 2/2/13. Converted to IUI. BFN
    IVF #3.0: 3/2014. BCP & Microdose Lupron.  Cycle cancelled due to poor response.
    IVF #4.0: 2/2015. EPP @ new RE. ER: 3/8. 3R, 3M, 1F. ET: 3/11 (1-8cell). 3/23 Beta: 16.9. 3/25 Beta: 71.6. 3/27 Beta: 300. 3/29 Beta: 800 3/31 Beta: 1816. 4/1 Beta: 4342. m/c at 6w2d. Goodbye little one. I loved you already.
    P/SAIF Welcome.
    My Blog
    imageimageBirthday image

• Options
    My DH had crappo morph...1% and 4%.  His other numbers were also eh.  I've been pregnant 3 times.  So, like pps said, the numbers might not be ideal, but I don't think that you necessarily have to throw in the towel just yet.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I am so sorry that your appointment did not go as you had hoped but I definitely do not think you are out of the running.  My DH had a morphology result of less than 1% normal so we went straight to IVF as our RE recommended.  It did not work -- and for financial reasons, we decided to step back to Injectables/IUI (injectables because I do not ovulate on my own).  Our first cycle was an early loss and our fourth one brought us our DS!  And then we were successful on our first injectables/IUI cycle when TTC #2.   We lost our baby boy at 18w due to a cord accident.  And we are going to be starting our next Injectables/IUI cycle in September.  

One thing that my DH did after we received the news that his morphology was bad is he ate better & exercised more. We believed this helped - we have no real proof but it is what we are thinking.  

If you ovulate on your own, you could try natural IUI or Clomid or Femara to boost ovulation a little bit.  This is definitely more reasonable in cost than IVF. It is unfair that cost is a deciding factor for us.

I hope that this helps you to feel a little more hopeful!  Thinking of you!

• Options

Wow, so much great information!  I love how everyone has a little knowledge and shares it so in the end it turns into a LOT of good stuff. 

I will look into all your suggestions.  It will give me something to do to pass the time while I am waiting for AF to hopefully NOT show.

I so appreciate the pep talks.  I know I sound super negative..I am trying not to be but I am not good at this failure thing--it really messes up my life plan of doing everything MY way.  Wink

Thank you all so much!

• Options
    imagePetraStonegirl:

(((HUGS)))

Of all the news you have, that's no where near as bad as it could be. I'm not trying to blow sunshine up your butt, but let me show you why.

Problems with your anatomy automatically cost more to fix than your DH's. So, you've already cleared that hurdle. Next, the issue with his swimmers isn't numbers, it's morph. Of all the problems to have, that's the least awful.

I know how awful it is to hear someone say 'but it happened for me, it can happen for you too!' However, I think you might need to hear this from another >35er. My DH has volume and concentration on the low end of normal, and his Kruger is 4%. His swimmers got me pregnant twice in 12 cycles, one natural, one IUI. One when I was 41 and once when I was 42. In fact, on the IUI, I had 2 follicles and his 4%ers nailed both of the eggs. It is possible.

Now, IVF is going to be the RE's answer, because they can control the implantation with ICSI. However, it doesn't mean you won't get pregnant naturally, only that it could take longer.

If you decided to ignore the financial discouragement and consider IVF, roll up your sleeves and start hunting for grant programs, research studies, and donor med programs. If you decide not to look into that route, that's ok too. There are a million reasons to try, and a million reasons not to. None are wrong.

Big squishy (((HUGS)))

This made me feel heaps better.  It's just a number..it's just a number..it's just a number. 

• Options

That stinks!

But maybe they can restest and it will get better.  I think that you should get a second opinion.  There is always hope.  Like other people say 4% is 4% and not zero.  Don't give up and check with another dr.  I will keep you in my prayers.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"