VBAC
Options

Did your Dr. schedule a CS anyway?

I have discussed the fact with my Dr. that I would prefer to try for a VBAC this time. (It will be 3 years since the birth of DS via CS) She told me that she does do VBAC's and will be happy to discuss this further at my next appointment if I could get the observation report from my old Dr. stating that the CS was done properly. The nurse told me at the end of my last appointment that I had a CS scheduled for January 9th in case I needed it. That is 6 days before my due date which I thought was odd. So my question is how are your Dr.'s going about the VBAC? Do you have a CS scheduled and if so for when? If you go past your due date will your Dr. induce you or will you have to do a CS? I just want to have as much knowledge as possible before I discuss this all with my Dr. TIA!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Did your Dr. schedule a CS anyway?

• Options
    I didn't have to schedule a c/s ahead of time. The hospital I delivered at is small and won't induce a VBAC, but they will let you go until 42 weeks. The midwives that I saw didn't even mention c/s except to say that we'll only talk about it if there is a medical reason where the baby needs to come early or if I reached 41 weeks. Thankfully I went into labor on my own at 39w3d and had a successful VBAC.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    No. My hospital will induce a VBAC. It also will not schedule any CS unless absolutely medically necessary. They're trying to meet WHO guidelines of having a CS rate of less than 15% (they have over 2000 births per year).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No, I don't have a c/s scheduled.  If I go all the way to 41w6d then they will do an induction with low dose pitocin and foley bulb.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

No, I did not have a backup c/s scheduled.  If I was completely closed, I would have had one at 41weeks.  But, as long as I was a little bit dilated, they would try some pitocin and breaking my water. 

I would ask why you were scheduled for 6 days before your due date.  It doesn't seem like they are aligned with your wishes for a VBAC.  I would get clarification about how long you can go and what they will do to induce.

• Options
    Maybe it's just protocol at that office? I would ask and politely refuse the appoiintment, ha ha. I didn't have one scheduled, either.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

My doctor will do a gentle induction if I reach 41 weeks, so no scheduled c-section here.

imageimage

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This is one of the things I want to talk to my doctor about. I don't want to schedule a c/s ahead & if I can make it to 40 weeks, I want to. Honestly, I don't get scheduling the appointment - unless they drive to your house & force you to the hosptial... they can't force medical procedures on you...
  • Options
    I did schedule one but can also cancel the scheduled date as we get closer.  My doctor is very supportive and will let me go to 42 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I didn't have a c-section date scheduled. We talked about it once. My MW said that if I made it to my 41 week appointment we'd put a c-section on the schedule for sometime during week 42. I had my daughter on her due date.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My doctor said I could schedule the CS ahead of time or we could just do it if needed. The farthest they will let me go past my due date is 1.5 weeks, so if I don't go into labor by then I would have the CS. My first instinct was to not schedule it, so I wouldn't feel pressured. However, after looking at the calendar I realized 1.5 weeks past my due date falls on Christmas eve - not when I want to have the on call Doc. So I think I'm going to go ahead and schedule mine at 1 week 2 days past. I went into labor with DS before that time, so I feel good about that time frame.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • Options

My Dr isn't scheduling and won't induce. The most she'd do is strip membranes and not that til at least 40 weeks. I'm REALLY LUCKY, from what I've read.

My doctor is a family practice doctor who specializes/loves delivering babies. I think it makes a big difference that she can't do surgery so it isn't what she expects.

I think finding the most pro-VBAC doctor out there is very important, but in some areas what you have may be the best you can get. You should contact your local ICAN chapter for more info on doctors.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

When I had my VBAC my doctor did not schedule a repeat C. In fact, that practice was so strongly VBAC that when my blood pressure started to rise (I had borderline pre-e with my first) and I was dilating on my own they scheduled an induction. While we would of course have preferred that I go on my own, they couldn't let me wait with high and rising BP but I was very thankful they did not force a section.

My new practice (we've moved since having DD2) has not mentioned anything about a c section at all. They asked details of my VBAC and when I said the delivery was forceps assisted they let me know that most of their practice is trained in forceps and they can use them if needed. 

I don't think I would stay with a practice that's scheduling a repeat C a week before my due date when they know I want a VBAC.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My doctor prefers to have a CS on the hospital schedule, but will give me until 42 weeks to try and VBAC as long as everything looks good.  I have decided to schedule the RCS at a little over 41 weeks. Hopefully I have a successful vBAC before then! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor wants to put a date on the calendar as well.  He'll let me go to 41 weeks and I'm trying to push him to let me go to 42.  He said he would as long as I was starting to dilate on my own and something was happening.  But as long as we are on the same page I don't see an issue scheduling a date if that's what the doctor prefers.  But I do trust my doctor and don't think he'll just hack me open, he knows how against it I am again and how against it I was the first time.  So we will see, I hope my body cooperates this time!
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 7.16.11 - Chemical M/C 7.26.11
    BFP 1.12.12 - EDD 10.12.12 - Stick baby stick!
    Beta#1 (12DPO) - Beta 48 Prog 34
    Beta #2(19DPO) - Beta 1767 Prog 54 - Beta #3(26DPO) -
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

If the office staff scheduled this because they didn't know you're a vbac patient, that's one thing.

If your OB wants it scheduled for 39wk, then now you know he is NOT supportive of a vbac and you should find a new OB.

And does he really want something from your old OB? Not the operative report from the hospital?

Yes, I had a c/s scheduled... for 41wk3d. And it was scheduled when I hit 40wk, at which time I showed no signs of progress - high and tight cervix, no dilation, no dropping, nothing, nada, zilch - and I also had GD. My OB will not induce, but obviously will let you go past your due date.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    If you want to VBAC there is no reason to schedule a c/s at 39 weeks unless there is some other medical issue. A doctor who is truly VBAC supportive will be fine with you going to 41 or 42 weeks. You need to find out if they scheduled you at 39 weeks by mistake or not. If not, I question whether your doctor is really on board with your VBAC plans.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I asked my doctor at my appointment yesterday if he did this because I've seen it so often on here.  He looked at me like I had three heads and said no.  He said that was a great way to increase csection rates and a stupid thing to do.  He said I would have a vaginal birth barring some sort of emergency and I could be pregnant as long as the baby liked unless there was some sort of medical reason why the baby needed to be induced.  I like him. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"