Minnesota Babies
Options

Where did you deliver?

Hi! I just found out I'm 5 weeks along with our first. I don't currently have an OB so I'm trying to decide where I want to go (we live in south Mpls). I think I would prefer to have a water birth and would really like to use a midwife as well.

Where did you deliver? Good or bad experience? And if you used a midwife, any recommendations? Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Where did you deliver?

• Options
    Suz+MoSuz+Mo member

I don't have any advice (first time mom here!) but just wanted to say congrats!! I'm an end of February mama, but will probably in march with you (supposedly lots of FTMs go later than their due date)

Congrats on your pregnancy!! Sounds like we have lots of twin cities moms in aug/sept  and then another wave of feb/march moms! We should do a GTG! 

• Options

I delivered at Regions, and had a midwife, but no water birth...I wanted drugs and lots of them.  It was a great experience, we delivered there right after the new birth wing was finished and everyone was super friendly and nice.

I'm a FTM and one and done, and I had my son 2 weeks early so you just never know about going early or late...I also worked out until the day my water broke (yep you read that right my water broke which is more rare in FTB's).

• Loading the player...
  • Options

i work at fairview riverside, delivered there and used the midwives from the riverside womens clinic.  they do water births, but i did not have one because i wanted an epidural.  however, i have a friend that delivered a few days after me, who did a water birth with a midwife and had a wonderful experience.

i was happy with my experience there. i ended up with an ob doing the delivery though,  since i needed the vacuum and an episiotomy.  the obs from this clinic were also really good. 

this would be fairly convenient for you in south minneapolis. 

• Options

I delivered at St. Johns and saw the midwives at Generations which would be a ways for you.  I know St. Joes does water births and work with different midwives.

My water broke completely unexpectedly 4 weeks early so you are definitely not guranteed to go late because you are a ftm.   

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I delivered with the Midwife group at Methodist in SLP.  Wonderful wonderful experience, they are very low intervention which is what I was looking for.  Their c-section rate is usually around 10% compared to the 30% you find with most OBs.

• Options
    I've delivered at Methodist in SLP and St. Francis in Shakopee. Would recommend both as the staff are wonderful. I would highly recommend the Midwives through Park Nicollet. I saw the Shakopee group which is out the way for you but LOVED them. At St. Francis I had the tub for labor with water birth in mind but ended up with an epidural. Nobody at either location were pushy and I got what I needed and requested.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I delivered at Fairview Southdale and had a great experience. If we have a 2nd baby, I will go back.
  • Options
    I used North Metro Midwives and could not be happier with the care I received from them. My plan was to have a water birth at North Memorial, but I unexpectedly/accidentally had my son 4 weeks early at the midwives office and they were awesome about it. Kathrine was a rock star at the office delivery and stayed with me once we got to the hospital and I was getting stitched up, and they continued to check on me throughout the week. I seriously love them.
    image Samuel (Photo by Gruman Photography)

• Options

It's great to hear all the good experiences! I just need to narrow down my options and pick one.

Thank you!

• Options
    jess60jess60 member

Not sure if it's something you'd be interested but a friend of mine had a home water birth & was very happy with her midwife.

If you'd like me to get the info, let me know.

• Options
    Both of my boys were one week early, so to echo PP's you aren't certain to be late as a FTM. I delivered at Woodwinds with an OB with DS1 and Lakeview Hospital in Stillwater with a MW with DS2. I had a wonderful experience with my MW. Best wishes!
    Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• Options
    I've delivered twice at Fairview Southdale and had excellent care. Both of my girls are preemies and their NICU nurses were amazing! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I delivered at Woodwinds.  I will go back when I have another baby for sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I delivered both of mine at Regions...  The nurse I had for DS was absolutely FAN-FLIPP'N TASTIC!!!  She was awesome about everything (can't think of her name off the top of my head, I just know her as one of the Moms from DD's DC and she lives in CG)...  Their PP unit was so-so but it is what it is, at least the beds were comfortable.. They do have a blow up tub for water births and have midwives and are very much about no unnecessary interventions during L&D (my nurse even encouraged me to go longer before taking anything this time around). 

I will say this though, you never know when a complication or something goes less than expected will occur, keep an open mind about L&D above all else!!  With my first I white knuckled through wanting the all natural birth with no interventions, birth plan forever long, etc. and ended up with 36 hours of L&D and I resented it so much that it was 7yrs between kids...  With DS I went in there with a completely open mind to go with the flow of L&D and not stress if I needed any pain meds and I enjoyed the process and having DS (I'd probably have two more kids if that experience had been my first LOL).  I ended up with an 18 hour induction that required FAR less interventions and pain control than with the first as well as fewer complications PP...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I LOVE the Park Nicollet midwives.  I know they'll deliver at St. Frances in Shakopee (where I had my girls and will have this LO), also at Methodist in St. Louis Park.  I  believe they also have locations in Woodbury and Maple Grove.  Water birth is an option at St. Frances, but I don't know about their other locations.

DH and I married 8 years. Mom of three, stepmom of one.

• Options

The HealthEast Nurse-Midwives are fabulous! A large percentage of their births are water births and they have a very low c-section rate. Births occur at St. Joes, Woodwinds or St. Johns (water birth coming soon).

Good luck! 

• Options
    Curious to know if you have an idea when St. Johns is getting a waterbirth room. I will be delivering in April and am going there. I had my son there and they obviously didn't offer it then. Any info would be great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"