Natural Birth
Options

Hospital tour and switching care

My current OB isn't exactly natural birth friendly. It's a long story as to why we stayed with her through out my entire pregnancy with DD, but we did and I ended up having a wonderful birth experience with DD. I worry though, what happens if this next birth doesn't go as smoothly? Posterior baby or water breaks and contractions don't start right away? Dh and I decided that this time around we had to switch providers and maybe even hospitals.

So last night Dh and I finally went and toured another nearby hospital. We toured 2 different hospitals when pregnant with DD and this one is much nicer than both of the others. It's a bit further but not much. Instead of 5 min it's like 15-20 depending on traffic. C-section rate is much lower! And just from the tour, we got the feeling that they are much more open towards a natural birth. The lady giving the tour suggested using the shower while in labor and they have their own birth balls. I am super stoked about the possibility of using the shower while in labor. The other hospitals did not have showers in the L&D rooms. My recovery room with DD did not even have a shower!

I have a recommendation for a Family Practice D.O. that both my doula and another highly experienced doula really like, so I am going to call today and see about having my care switched. :)

Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

Re: Hospital tour and switching care

• Options

I delivered with a family doctor and had a great experience. For one, because she doesn't ONLY see pregnant women, she can attend most of her patient's births and still have a life. It was also nice that we can continue care with the same doctor - she sees me and DS.

Good luck! I hope you have a smooth switch.

• Options

So glad you found a hospital you like more! Sounds similar to the hospital where I delivered DS (and plan to deliver this LO) with the showers and birthing balls. Nursing staff was supportive, too.

Hope you like the DO when you meet him/her!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Good luck.  Sounds like the other hospital is better and a DO would probably give great natural birth care.

Two boys already - ages 5 and 3...

...baby #3 is here...

• Options
    Well turns out this Dr who was recommended to me is taking the summer off and hasn't decided if she is going to come back or just continue teaching. This is the second recommendation that hasn't paned out. The fother recommendation is pregnant herself and not currently accepting patients. Off to email my doula again. ::sigh::
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    Out of curiosity, what was your previous hospital's cesarean rate? The one I originally thought, for insurance reasons, I would have to give birth in is 40% and that seemed REALLY high but, as this is my first, I don't have a lot of perspective.
  • Options

The hospital where I had DD, their c-section rate was 36%. This other hospital, I believe is 22%.

• Options

The WHO reccomends a c-section of no higher than 15%. I think you would have a hard time finding a US hospital with a rate that low though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"