Infertility Veterans

unpopular opinions: politics

Yesterday a friend of mine posted this article on facebook about IVF and the republican agenda. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2191690/human-life-amendment--New-Republican-platform-banning-ALL-abortions-restrict-IVF.html

The comments she received were... interesting. Of course many people chimed in about what IVF is, although people included things like "the unused embryos are discarded". Since we're not out of the IF closet I had to do everything not to comment on how people who actually go through IF value life more than anyone, but I digress. 

As all of this is so near and dear to our hearts will your voting revolve around IF issues? Do you tend towards one party or another? 

I grew up Catholic, but the idea of dragging religion into all of this makes me cringe. Religion and progress don't seem to be good friends... then again the US doesn't seem to drastically change under one party's control or the other. Mitt's going to have to walk a very fine line since some of his grandchildren are IVF / surrogate babies. 

I'm curious / nervous to see how all of this plays out.  

(Live in Europe) TTC since 1/2010

Re: unpopular opinions: politics

• I'm a Democrat and a Catholic, but no matter what religion or party I was I would never agree with an anti-abortion law. Women should have the right to do what they want with their bodies. I do not agree with abortion on a moral level for myself, but that is up to each individual to determine. I especially abhor what implications this would have for ART treatments. There are too many reproductive issues this would call into question and it's a very slippery slope. I also can't stand the Catholic church's position on IVF and have considered leaving the church over that (not that I go much anymore anyway). 

Stay the F out of my ute! 

Dx: High FSH, stage IV endo, homozygous C677T MTHFR and PAI-1
    Early loss 10/08
    Lap 1/09
    IVF #1 "natural IVF" - 1 egg retrieved, missed m/c
    Tried several mini-stim cycles with no response
    Switched clinics - dx'd as carrier for Fragile X
    IVF #2 MDL protocol Jan/Feb converted to IUI, BFN
    IVF #2 take 2: Antagonist, one embie, BFN
    IVF #3: Antagonist, no fertilization
    One last ditch effort at OE IVF (antagonist with Clomid) cancelled
    DE cycle #1 Jan/Feb 2011, BFP, ectopic
    DE cycle #2 June/July 2011 - BFP
    10/28/11 Baby girl lost at 17 weeks due to pre-term labor. We love and miss you.
    DE cycle #3 June/July 2012 - BFP, twins, both heartbeats stopped, D&C
    2 frosties but don't know what's next
    FET Dec 2012: BFP! Praying this one sticks for the long haul!
  • For me personally IF would not impact how I vote. 

And I HATE when people post political views on FB.  Your post is not going to change my mind. 

My sister in law, that is all she would post (i disagreed with all of it) I know I could hide her, but I ended up defriending her.  It was so irritating...as is she, but now I digress.  Wink

I am AMA and all tests on H came back normal
    3 failed IVF with OE and 2 failed frozen DE cycles
    Last fresh hail mary DE cycle starting Feb 2013
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome
  • Loading the player...
  • I think May said it all for me. The impact this could have on ART should be made aware to all IF's . These are decisions we as women should make for ourselves and not mandated by any government. I cannot vote in the US but under these circumstances wish I could.

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
    IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
    IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
    Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
    SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

• imagereb259:

For me personally IF would not impact how I vote. 

And I HATE when people post political views on FB.  Your post is not going to change my mind. 

My sister in law, that is all she would post (i disagreed with all of it) I know I could hide her, but I ended up defriending her.  It was so irritating...as is she, but now I digress.  Wink

I hope you realize I wasn't setting out to change anyone's mind on anything. Sorry if I was misunderstood on that front.

Unfortunately I think the US could do with more parties to choose from, but I don't foresee that changing anytime soon, because the alternatives tend to be quite radical or drastic that many people don't take them seriously. 

In general I get so irritated when the IF topic comes up and people who truly don't know what they are talking about act as an authority on the matter. It makes me happy that Mitt has IVF grandkids, because with IF so close to home perhaps he will spare people should he be elected.

I do find it ironic to be anti big government and to set out to govern what women do with their own health, bodies, choices, etc. It would be so fascinating to see what it's like in 100 years. I truly hope there is progress so couples who want children don't have to fight tooth and nail or run out of time trying to make it happen.  

(Live in Europe) TTC since 1/2010
  • imagereb259:

This is me too.  Hate it.  I end up just unsubscribing from their news feed.

TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
  • imageMitzi Bishi:
    imagereb259:

I hope you realize I wasn't setting out to change anyone's mind on anything. Sorry if I was misunderstood on that front.

Not at all, I didnt think you were doing that at all.  Big Smile

I am AMA and all tests on H came back normal
    3 failed IVF with OE and 2 failed frozen DE cycles
    Last fresh hail mary DE cycle starting Feb 2013
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome
  • The thought of the leaders of this country trying to make me a murderer makes me cringe no matter what position they are in. I dont think abortion should be illegal, but I do see the point, I just wonder where all of this got pushed to such extremes as to include my embryos and birth control. Honestly I feel like everything in government is so polarized and extreme these days on both sides that we are headed for self destruction.

when it comes to political positions I wish people would just be rational and informed about them. If you really think that a woman no matter the circumstances should carry an unwanted child, then have a plan to do something about it once it's born. Why is the end of the womans birth canal the difference between precious life that must be protected and another entitlement person who doesn't work expecting help from the government to survive.

I guess my long winded point is that I am struggling to see any kind of rationality when it comes to politics.
    imageimage

Dx: DH - Azoo, Me - Mild PCOS
    DH - sperm found! Seems to produce only for a few days every 70 days!
    Over 1 million in cryo in 15 vials over 6 samples
    IVF #1 - 1 beautiful expanded blast transferred, 4 snowbabies - beta #1 11/30/11 = BFFN
    FET #1, transfered 2 embies 2/16/12 = BFFN; 1 snowbaby left in cryo
    IVF #2 + CGH = 4 genetically normal embies on ice. FET September 26th
    SAIF/PAIF always welcome

a special GL and prayers to my IF sister Gregermis

check out my blog!

• I self identify as a libertarian (do what you (individually) want & leave me the heck alone, stop taxing me to death & funding programs that  do not work) & stuff like this bugs the crap out of me.  It just shows how sh!tty our sex & science ed is in this country.  Throwing abortion in the same sentence as infertility is ridiculous but that's another topic entirely.  Both are personal health issues, end of discussion.  At least in my book...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am pro choice and obviously pro IVF...but i vote with my wallet.

Maybe im naive, but i don't think a single person can overturn something like abortion.  I pray the rest of the government stops that from happening.

Im also curious to see how it all plays out.

I was raised Episcopalian, and i really just don't understand the catholic views on things.  Like they can't move forward with time?  I just don't get it.

• A friend of mine sent me an article similar to this thinking this would sway my vote, so annoying, I hate politics.  I can't see either of these actually happening...and I guess the plus with an anti-abortion law would be more babies in the U.S. for us to adopt!! 
    Anniversary
    TTC #1 since 3/10:
    DX: Me-PCOS, retroverted/ tilted ute - DH- MFI, DH-4 mo of Clomid therapy= no improvement. Weekly HCG injections.
    Me-34, DH-33
    HSG- unsuccessful, SHSG (dialated)-no blockages
    7/11-Clomid (unmonitored) BFN,
    #1 Fresh IVF 9/11: w/ ICSI & AH (only option): (1 transfered, 8BF) = BFN!!
    #2 FET: 2 transferred (2 6BF) 12/11 = BFFN!!
    Surprise + HPT on break! 2/12 Beta 1: 6 Beta 2: <5 = c/p ( RE had given me provera... So pretty sure this ruined everything)<BR> #3 Fresh IVF 3/12: w/ ICSI & AH (2 transfered 8BF & 7BF, 1 to freeze) = BFMFN!
    New RE 5/12
    6/14 Hysteroscopy
    #4 Fresh IVF 8/12: 5dt of 2 5AB blasts = BFN!... what else is new?!?
    New RE insists its a transfer issue, immunology checked & good
    #5 IVF FET 1/13 under anesthesia : Two 5 day blasts transferred
    + HPT!! Beta1: 2315 Beta2: 6442 Beta3: 31,061
    First u/s 1/30/13: Shows 1 healthy heartbeat!!

Was he was right? I wasted 4 IVF's and the doctors were not getting the catheter in?!?
    ~~ Bump Bestie/ IRL Lynn0926 ~~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagevanessagorc:

i don't think a single person can overturn something like abortion.  I pray the rest of the government stops that from happening.

I don't think mainstream Repubs actually want this, but if the next President(s) were to replace retiring liberal Supremes with conservative ones who thought it fit to overturn R v W, then it would in fact happen. *shudder*

TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagevanessagorc:

I am pro choice and obviously pro IVF...but i vote with my wallet.

Maybe im naive, but i don't think a single person can overturn something like abortion.  I pray the rest of the government stops that from happening.

Im also curious to see how it all plays out.

This! I am a republican and Jewish and while I am thrilled that the Jewish religion supports IVF wholeheartedly, I am ashamed to say that the republican party is so backwards in their thinking of not only women's issues but general science and health issues. 

TTC 1/2010 DH Dx - Azoospermia 2/2011
    Hysteroscopy 3/2011 2 Polyps removed 4/2011
    DH on Clomid / Arimidex to address hormonal issues - Sperm found July 2011!
    IVF #1 September 2011 - ER 9/8/2011- 8R, 5M - icsi - 1 made it to transfer - BFFN :-(
    IVF #2 Lucky November 2011 - ER 11/25/2011 - 15 eggs!, 13 mature, 10 fertilized with isci - 7 made it to transfer! Transferred 1 - 8 cell and 2 - 7 cell. BFP!!!!
    1st U/S - Twins! 2nd U/S - 3 heartbeats!!! - HOLY COW!!!
    Prayers for our take home babies!
    2 babies born on 3/27/12 and lost. Last baby born on 3/29/12 and lost at 20 weeks.
    My angels grew wings shortly after birth.
    Ahava Raisel, Matisyahu Nissim & Zev Chaim - Mommy and Daddy will always love you.
    IVF #3 July 2012 - ER 7/17/2012 - 10 R. 5 F. 4 made it to ET
    Transferred 2 on 7/20/2012 no snow babies :-(
    Beta on 7/31/2012 = BFMFN
    A miracle gift expected to come to us through adoption around 9/2012
    Baby girl adopted - Birth Mother changed her mind and took the baby back
    IVF #4 October 2012 - New RE. Doing PGD Testing. 8 R, 7F, 2 made it to 5 day blast for PDG testing. Both Normal (Thank you G-d!!!) 1 boy and 1 girl
    transferred one beautiful 5day blast (girl)
    Please G-d the almighty one - let this be our take home baby!
    Beta #1 158, Beta #2 318, 1 Absolutely magnificent HB at 175! Thank you G-d!!!
    Baby Girl born August 5th. Thank you G-d for our precious miracle.
    AMA. PAIF & SAIF always welcome - I need all the prayers I can get!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imagemay2806:

I'm a Democrat and a Catholic, but no matter what religion or party I was I would never agree with an anti-abortion law. Women should have the right to do what they want with their bodies. I do not agree with abortion on a moral level for myself, but that is up to each individual to determine. I especially abhor what implications this would have for ART treatments. There are too many reproductive issues this would call into question and it's a very slippery slope. I also can't stand the Catholic church's position on IVF and have considered leaving the church over that (not that I go much anymore anyway). 

Stay the F out of my ute! 

THIS EXACTLY!!! Seriously, it's as if i typed it myself! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"