Preemies
Options

Did your NICU have a weight limit? Weigh in here...

Our NICU had a 4 lb discharge limit as well as a few other rules (holding temperature, A/B-free for five days unless leaving on a monitor, etc).

Did yours?

I'm hearing of more super-teenies who got to come home and am curious what that was like. I felt like 4 lbs was so small!

We weren't discharged until around 6 lbs along with a monitor - DS loved to brady! ;D 

Re: Did your NICU have a weight limit? Weigh in here...

• Options
    No weight limit. They had to be A/B free for five days, maintaining their temperature, eating their minimum requirements, gaining weight consistently, and pass a car seat test.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Options

No weight limit - just had to maintain temp, take all feedings from breast/bottle, no A/Bs, and be consistently gaining weight every day. 

Super-teenies are very scary to bring home, but I'd imagine everyone from the NICU is at least a little scared to bring their LO home no matter what the weight! I know I would have been even if she had weighed more. 

It's funny because I was having a conversation with my dad the weekend before she was discharged and I was telling him how I hoped she would be closer to 5lbs before we brought her home because bringing home a 4lb baby scared me! A week later we were leaving the NICU with a LO under 3lbs. Crazy. 

TTC #1 since Dec 2010
    BFP #1 7/26/11 ~ EDD 4/2/12 ~ m m/c discovered 9/2/11
    BFP #2 12/5/11 ~ EDD 8/16/12 ~ It's a Girl!
    Lila Abigail born 6/8/12 at 30w1d weighing 1 lb 11.2 oz due to severe pre-e and IUGR Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Same as pp no weight limit for us either, but they wouldn't move to an open air crib until they hit 3lbs though because it was a big todo with the nurses when the dr moved dd at just shy of 3lbs. But all the same requirements with feeding, weight gain, temp and no A or B's
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Rule of thumb was 5lbs but they made exceptions if that as the only thing holding the LO back, in an approved carseat. It wasn't an issue for us because they were both closer to 8lbs.

Otherwise it was all feeds by mouth and 5 days Brady free.

Mom to preemie b/g twins born 14 weeks early after 3 years of IF, 8 clomid cycles and 1 IVF. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I don't know if there was a weight limit (my lo was born at 5lbs 10ozs) but they have to pass a car seat test and be 7 days a/b free.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Our NICU wouldn't move from isolette to open bed until 4 pounds, so I guess that in itself was a discharge limit.  Julia was 5 pounds 3 oz when she came home.
    DD#1, Alexa, Born 8/08; TTC # 2 since 3/2010; 8 IUI BFN; 1 cervical pregnancy in April 2011; IVF #1 Dec 2011 worked. EDD = 9/7/12. Bedrest starting 6/4/12. Julia Mae born 7/1/12, home 8/12/12. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Our LO was discharged at 4lb12oz.  She did not have a NICU stay, but needed to pass her carseat test before being discharged.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for asking!

I never heard that mine did, but DD was 5lbs 5oz at birth.

I just wondered for a nearly FT kiddo like my friend, even with the IUGR, why keep her if everything else is going well??  It seems like a good guideline but not something that should be set in stone. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    DrRxDrRx member

Our NICU didn't allow our LO to wear clothes until she was 3 pounds 5 ounces (1.5kg) and wouldn't allow the top to remain open on the isolette until she was almost 4 pounds (1.8kg), so I'm sure that they wouldn't let you leave if the weight was under 4 pounds.  Adalyn left the NICU weighing 5 pounds 13 ounces.

Btw, cute title to the post...Smile

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
  • Options

No weight limit but they had to meet the criteria of taking all feeds by breast or bottle for 48 hours, no A&Bs requiring stim for 7 days, and pass car seat test.  They fudged a little on the A&Bs criteria for us since they were ready otherwise and sent us home with apnea monitors.  Both were over 5 lbs at that point.  My nurses told me that the neos at our NICU usually didn't like to send preemies, especially really early ones home before 37 weeks.  I would think sending a preemie home so small and too soon is a huge liability for the NICU and neonatologist who discharges them.

• Options
    To be discharged?  No.  To be put in an open crib?  Yes.  He had to be at least 3lbs before he was placed in an open crib.   So, that meant he was almost 4 when he came home because he still had feeding to master.
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)

• Options
    Ours didnt have a specific weight requirement but they had to pass the car seat test and they checked the minimum weight on the seat so they wouldnt let us test until she reached at least 4 lbs. We went home at about 4 1/2 lbs and I thought she was too tiny to go home that size. I do know a FT baby that was 4lbs 10z and went home with no NICU stay now so I guess its not that small. When we left the NICU the nurses all cooed about how tiny she still was so I think she was below the average for our NICU
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Urbanflowerpot - YGM

Our NICU didn't have a weight limit, but almost all of the babies were held until their EDD or close to it. When we were there, there was actually an 11lb baby in the NICU who was born at 11lbs. HUGE baby compared to all of the other little ones that were in there.

• Options
    Ours had to be 4 lbs to go in an open crib. My NICU baby came home at 4 lbs 4 oz.
  • Options
    Our NICU did have a weight limit of 4 lbs and they needed to pass the carseat challenge in order to go home. My twin boys went home at 4lbs 1 ounce and 4lbs 8 ounces. They were very small but I was grateful to have them home with my husband and I.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No weight limit at our NICU. A/B free for 3 days. MUST pass car seat test though. Gaining weight, control body temperature too.

• Options
    No weight requirement, just had to be gaining and taking all feeds by bottle and couldn't have any breathing issues.  I think he had to eat a certain amount everyday too, but I can't remember what that was now. 
    My Ovulation Chart 50 mg Clomid/Ovidrel/IUI #1: BFN... 50 mg Clomid/Ovidrel/IUI #2: BFN... 50 mg Clomid/IUI #3: BFP!! Due May, 2012 :) So happy to welcome our little boy, born at 32 weeks and 3 days! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No weight requirement, but the things everyone else has said (all PO feedings, no As/Bs, able to maintain temp, gaining weight, etc). DS came home at 3lb 13oz.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"