Postpartum Depression

Need opinions on when to start medicine

I am currently 31 weeks pregnant with my 2nd. I had a touch of post partum after having my first but was able to manage it with exercise. I got pregnant with my 2nd at 7 months post partum and didn't have an issue again until around the 20 week mark. I went to see my physician who prescribed me prozac to take during pregnancy. I was hesitant to take it for various reasons and within a couple of days what seemed like the "baby blues" turned in to simply a string of bad days and I have been fine since. I have not taken any medication to date.

Here is my question. I am fairly certain I am going to have ppd after having this little one if for no other reason than just sheer exhaustion and the fact that after two years of being pregnant I will finally be done. Would you start on medication two weeks out from having the baby so it can be in your system and start having an effect, or wait until LO gets here to see how you react?  TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need opinions on when to start medicine

• I think this is a decision that you and your prescribing doc should make together. I would discuss this with him/her and let them know your concerns, and have them advise you on when would be the best time to start. I know that may not be the answer you were looking for but I believe it is the smartest way to approach this issue.

good luck with the rest of your pregnancy! 

And then there were three...

• imagegigantan:

I think this is a decision that you and your prescribing doc should make together. I would discuss this with him/her and let them know your concerns, and have them advise you on when would be the best time to start. I know that may not be the answer you were looking for but I believe it is the smartest way to approach this issue.

good luck with the rest of your pregnancy! 

Thanks for your advice. I'm not really sure what answer I am looking for but I agree talking to my doc will probably be best!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"