Potty Training

Poop frustrations

Our son will be 3 on Tuesday and he's doing so well with wearing underwear, except when it comes to poop, he will not poop in the potty, never has, will totally poop in his underwear and then tell us. We are so frustrated and I could understand if it were a scared of pooping in the potty thing or he just didn't know but he will tell you that he's supposed to poop in the potty and not his underwears. Does he just not know it's coming? When do they develop that sense that it's coming, not it's already happening? He seems to have no qualms about it being in there either, he tells us but yesterday when I picked him up from DC, he had a huge skid-mark that was probably from more poop as opposed to not wiping properly.

When does that switch flip? Is there anything we can do to move it along? I don't even care if we have to put a diaper on him so that he can poop, but I'm so sick of cleaning poopy underwears!

imageimage

Re: Poop frustrations

• I understand your frustration.  With our guy pooping in the potty came about 3 weeks after he figured out peeing.  We made him a sticker chart for poop where he got a toy he really wanted after getting 5 poops in the potty and after a week he got all the stickers and was very proud.  He has gotten it since then. Time and a little extra motivation worked for us.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMommy to two angel babies, 6w4d on 10/21/08 and 8w2d on 2/22/09. I still think of you and miss you every day!
  • DD just started PT a week ago (on her own) and to my surprise she is doing both pee and poop without any problem. She has had a lot of naked time (after our first failed attempt at PT 6 weeks ago) and a couple of  poop accidents while naked prior to her PT.  Someone else had mentioned that their kids had to have a few accidents while naked to have it click. I don't know if that would help but it would be worth the try. 

The other thing I did was after our first failed PT attempt to take her poopy diaper to the toilet and dump it and flush it with her there and waving bye at the poop. If I saw that she was pooping in her diaper (because you could totally tell) I would ask her if she was pooping and then once done tell her "you pooped" and then change her. I don't know if those thing helped at all but it would be worth a try. Most of the time she didn't care about having a poopy diaper so I am not sure I buy into that "readiness" sign since she was obviously ready but still didn't care about soiled diapers. she decided to train herself while we were on vacation last week and I had brought the travel potty but no undies. The last 2 days of vacation we were out and about or flying and she was in diaper for those 2 days. Even after having gone potty for 3 days she didn't really care about the poop in her diaper and went right back to using the potty once we were home. 

Good luck, I am sure it is frustrating. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I have no good suggestions for you except just be patient.  My DS was pee-trained right after he turned 3 but not poop-trained until a month after he turned 4.  That meant an entire year of cleaning poopy underwear.  I have no idea why he would poop in his underwear and not on the toilet; he knew when he had to go because he would run and hide to do it.  It took a visit to the pedi. for his 4 year check up and her talking to him to get him to poop on the toilet, crazy right?!  As frustrated as I was during the last year, I feel a huge weight lifted off my shoulders, now I just have to get him to wipe well and we will be good to go.  Of course I still have 3 more to potty train after him ...yay.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS1 has been pee trained since Feb.  He has pooped on the potty a few times but not consistently.  He holds it all day and then his tummy hurts and its hard for him to go and he refuses to go on the potty. 

Our miracle IVF baby - D 6/09 & J - Surprise! born 9/10!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"