Infertility Veterans

Long Lupron Protocol - thoughts?

Hi Ladies,

I realize everyone is different but the RE is suggesting we try the Long Lupron protocol for this next cycle. I feel like we are going back to square one. I am AMA but a decent responder. I haven't met with him to hear what he has to say but I just feel like this is the protocol most RE's use first - not on a 4th IVF. To be honest with you, I am not even sure I will go back to my RE (RMA in NY). They are a drive through IVF clinic and it drives me crazy. DH says he thinks they are fine and we will be successful using RMA but my attitude is I think they are just guessing (hence the lets try Long Lupron) instead of really trying to find what is best for me. The past two cycle we used Lupron but it was a few days after BCP.

What do you ladies think about using a Long Lupron protocol at this stage in the game? I think I need to get my butt out of RMA - they are not very good with AMA patients.

Thanks

Rachel

TTC 1/2010 DH Dx - Azoospermia 2/2011
Hysteroscopy 3/2011 2 Polyps removed 4/2011
DH on Clomid / Arimidex to address hormonal issues - Sperm found July 2011!
IVF #1 September 2011 - ER 9/8/2011- 8R, 5M - icsi - 1 made it to transfer - BFFN :-(
IVF #2 Lucky November 2011 - ER 11/25/2011 - 15 eggs!, 13 mature, 10 fertilized with isci - 7 made it to transfer! Transferred 1 - 8 cell and 2 - 7 cell. BFP!!!!
1st U/S - Twins! 2nd U/S - 3 heartbeats!!! - HOLY COW!!!
Prayers for our take home babies!
2 babies born on 3/27/12 and lost. Last baby born on 3/29/12 and lost at 20 weeks.
My angels grew wings shortly after birth.
Ahava Raisel, Matisyahu Nissim & Zev Chaim - Mommy and Daddy will always love you.
IVF #3 July 2012 - ER 7/17/2012 - 10 R. 5 F. 4 made it to ET
Transferred 2 on 7/20/2012 no snow babies :-(
Beta on 7/31/2012 = BFMFN
A miracle gift expected to come to us through adoption around 9/2012
Baby girl adopted - Birth Mother changed her mind and took the baby back
IVF #4 October 2012 - New RE. Doing PGD Testing. 8 R, 7F, 2 made it to 5 day blast for PDG testing. Both Normal (Thank you G-d!!!) 1 boy and 1 girl
transferred one beautiful 5day blast (girl)
Please G-d the almighty one - let this be our take home baby!
Beta #1 158, Beta #2 318, 1 Absolutely magnificent HB at 175! Thank you G-d!!!
Baby Girl born August 5th. Thank you G-d for our precious miracle.
AMA. PAIF & SAIF always welcome - I need all the prayers I can get!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Long Lupron Protocol - thoughts?

• When I was going thru my last DE cycle, the RE recommended if I wanted to try with my OE's we should a protocol that doesnt use lupron but instead ganirelix.  I was confused I thought it was ganirelix instead of menopur but the ladies here were right (as I knew they would be) it is ganirelix instead of lupron.  The RE said that lupron may have a negative affect on AMA eggs.

I have done long lupron (1&3) IVF's and it did not work for me but I am really starting to think we have a sperm issue.

Wishing you all the luck!!  I am rooting for you!

I am AMA and all tests on H came back normal
    3 failed IVF with OE and 2 failed frozen DE cycles
    Last fresh hail mary DE cycle starting Feb 2013
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome
  • I did long lupron for my first cycle...as many do.  I don't have any fancy medical backup, but simply said - I do feel that everyone responds differently to different protocols as we would probably all agree. 

Yes, it is a common protocol typically used early in the game, but you just never know - it may be the magic ticket for you.  Gotta love the gamble in the "game" called infertility. 

I would definitely suggest to follow your instinct though, if you have any doubts on your clinic or RE or protocol.  For me, I had similiar gut feelings with my local RE and that is why I am (impatiently!) waiting for a second opinion.  It just felt right to seek out another school of thought. 

Hugs.  I don't mean to be nosy, but what is the latest with the adoption?

Countless BFN(s)
    Moving to IVF

IVF1 (ICSI): Long Lupron
    6R. 3F. 3DT. 8Cell 1Grade 2Embies. 1Frostie.
    Beta 1/22: 14 Beta 1/24: 24 Beta 1/26: 28
    Round One Result: Chemical Pregnancy

Pressing Forward

IVF2 (ICSI/AH/ACU): Microdose Lupron Flare
    13R. 11F. 5DT. 2TFR'ed. 1Frostie.
    Round Two Result 4/30: Harsh BFN

FET. 2TFR'ed.
    Round Three Result 6/25: BFN
    Where do we go from here?

Moving forward with CCRM in 2013
    ODWU revealed blocked tube(s). Lap 2/15.
    Bilateral Tubal Ligation. Stage IV Endo.
    Finally some (tough) answers.

IVF3 (ICSI/CCS): Antagonist with EPP
    13R. We have 3 CCS Normal Embryos!

Lupron Depot: May 2013 to August 2013
    Long awaited FET on 9/3. 2TFR'ed.
    BFP on FRER 5dp5dt: IN SHOCK!
    Beta1 9/10: 152.7! Beta2 9/12: 378! Beta3 9/14: 1224! 

1st ultrasound 10/1: TWO beautiful heartbeats!  Overjoyed!

• Loading the player...
  • I don't have experience with that protocol, but if you are a decent responder then I don't think that it's necessarily a step backward. That being said, it sounds like you need another opinion regardless of what your current RE suggests because you're just not satisfied with them anymore. Good luck, and I'm also curious how the adoption process is going and hope that all is well on that front.
    TTC #1 since June 2010
    Me: 36, DH: 42
    Dx: DOR and MFI

DH: low count + very low motility; hormones all normal; Sperm DNA Frag. test = poor to fair; male karyotyping normal
    Me: FSH 13.4 + AMH 0.26 + hypothyroidism; Scratch the hypothyrodism (?); Blood clotting and immune panel all negative; endometrial biopsy normal

IVF #1 (MDLF - Jul/Aug 2011): BFN (9R, 5M, 3F with ICSI, 3dt of 1 10-cell grade 2, no frosties)
    IVF #2 (EP-antagonist - Sep/Oct 2011): BFN (6R, 4M, 3F w/ ICSI, 3dt of 1 6-cell, 1 7-cell, grade 4s, no frosties)
    DE IVF #1 (shared cycle - June 2012): c/p (6R, 6F w/ICSI, 3dt 1 8-cell grade A- and 1 7-cell grade A-; no frosties)
    DE IVF #2 (shared cycle with new donor - Nov/Dec/ 2012): - BFP!!!!! 12/14/12. U/S on 12/27 shows twins!!!!!

SAIFW/PAIFW
  • imagerockpaperlove:

Oh please - don't worry about being nosy! I just didn't want to keep posting things about the adoption on an infertility board. Things are going well. We are officially matched (which doesn't really mean anything until she signs the papers after birth). We are finishing up our home study. I can not stress enough how cruel this world is - any 16 year old can get KU and have all the rights in the world but responsible couples who want a child have to be put under a microscope. It drives me insane.

DH and I are just looking forward with additional planning. If we are able to adopt this baby when she is born, we would be thrilled. If something happens and it doesn't work, I will start some heavy duty drinking to mend my crushed heart and plan for an IVF cycle sooner than later. I feel like we will get this baby but can't get so caught up in it because I am scared to get too happy.

I will certainly announce the news when (G-d willing) all papers are signed and our take home baby is home.

Love - Rachel

IVF #1 September 2011 - ER 9/8/2011- 8R, 5M - icsi - 1 made it to transfer - BFFN :-(
    IVF #2 Lucky November 2011 - ER 11/25/2011 - 15 eggs!, 13 mature, 10 fertilized with isci - 7 made it to transfer! Transferred 1 - 8 cell and 2 - 7 cell. BFP!!!!
    2 babies born on 3/27/12 and lost. Last baby born on 3/29/12 and lost at 20 weeks.
    Ahava Raisel, Matisyahu Nissim & Zev Chaim - Mommy and Daddy will always love you.
    IVF #4 October 2012 - New RE. Doing PGD Testing. 8 R, 7F, 2 made it to 5 day blast for PDG testing. Both Normal (Thank you G-d!!!) 1 boy and 1 girl

• Long lupron was what I did for my first (and only thus far) IVF cycle.  I'd get a second opinion I think before agree to the long lupron protocol personally.
    TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

• imagePrettyAccountant:
    imagerockpaperlove:

Oh please - don't worry about being nosy! I just didn't want to keep posting things about the adoption on an infertility board. Things are going well. We are officially matched (which doesn't really mean anything until she signs the papers after birth). We are finishing up our home study. I can not stress enough how cruel this world is - any 16 year old can get KU and have all the rights in the world but responsible couples who want a child have to be put under a microscope. It drives me insane.

DH and I are just looking forward with additional planning. If we are able to adopt this baby when she is born, we would be thrilled. If something happens and it doesn't work, I will start some heavy duty drinking to mend my crushed heart and plan for an IVF cycle sooner than later. I feel like we will get this baby but can't get so caught up in it because I am scared to get too happy.

I will certainly announce the news when (G-d willing) all papers are signed and our take home baby is home.

Love - Rachel

I think this sounds like a great plan - healthy for your sanity!  Wink

Countless BFN(s)
    Moving to IVF

IVF1 (ICSI): Long Lupron
    6R. 3F. 3DT. 8Cell 1Grade 2Embies. 1Frostie.
    Beta 1/22: 14 Beta 1/24: 24 Beta 1/26: 28
    Round One Result: Chemical Pregnancy

Pressing Forward

IVF2 (ICSI/AH/ACU): Microdose Lupron Flare
    13R. 11F. 5DT. 2TFR'ed. 1Frostie.
    Round Two Result 4/30: Harsh BFN

FET. 2TFR'ed.
    Round Three Result 6/25: BFN
    Where do we go from here?

Moving forward with CCRM in 2013
    ODWU revealed blocked tube(s). Lap 2/15.
    Bilateral Tubal Ligation. Stage IV Endo.
    Finally some (tough) answers.

IVF3 (ICSI/CCS): Antagonist with EPP
    13R. We have 3 CCS Normal Embryos!

Lupron Depot: May 2013 to August 2013
    Long awaited FET on 9/3. 2TFR'ed.
    BFP on FRER 5dp5dt: IN SHOCK!
    Beta1 9/10: 152.7! Beta2 9/12: 378! Beta3 9/14: 1224! 

1st ultrasound 10/1: TWO beautiful heartbeats!  Overjoyed!

• I did the long lupron protocol for my first and only IVF.  I did get terrible migraine- type headaches and other unpleasant s/e that were hard to live with, but it resulted in a successful cycle.

GL with your next IVF and T and P that your impending adoption results in a take home baby. 

TTC since 3-08 IVF # 1 Dec 2011 BFP DD born at 31 weeks 6-24-12

FET #1 Dec 2013 BFN

FET # 2 Feb 2014 BFN

No more frosties

IVF #2. September 2014

PGD yielded 2 perfect 5d blasts

SET November 9, 2014
    Nov 23, 2014. Another BFN

Not sure where to go from here.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I wish you all the best with your adoption efforts!!

What were your previous protocols and meds doses? BCP? 

+++
  • Lupron fried my eggs for IVF1, well, per my RE. For IVF2 no Lupron and more eggs and better quality

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
    IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
    IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
    Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
    SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

• I would start by getting  a second opinion for sure.

Without knowing all your stats (protocols, eggs, ect) I don't really know if I think that is the best for you, but I know getting a second opinion made me feel so much better-and proactive.

TTC since 5/2010
    DX with Diminished Ovarian Reserve - AMH of 1.1 - 7/2011; AMH of .42 8/2012
    BFP 9/1/10-M/C confirmed 9/8/10-Methotrexate 10/6/10
    IUI #1 (w/clomid)-9/5/11-BFN ; IUI #2 (w/clomid)-10/5/11 - BFP - 11/1/12-No sac seen; 11/2/11 and 11/9/11-Methotrexate 
    IVF #1- ER 2/2; ET 2/5;-Two 8 cell embryos transfered = BFFN
    Surprise BFP - 5/7/12
    U/S on 6/8/12 - H/B at 128 BPM; U/S on 6/14/12 @ 9wks-No H/B-D&C on 6/17/12
    IVF 2.0- ER 10/17; ET 10/20-One 12 cell, one 10 cell and one 8 cell embryo transfered
    BFP!   11/16/12 U/S- Two nuggets with perfect heartbeats! EDD 7/10/13

5/31/2013- My miracles arrived at 34w2d!  Welcome to the world Harper and Nolan!Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Blog- http://waitingonaangel.wordpress.com/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageEdwina.McDunnough:

I wish you all the best with your adoption efforts!!

What were your previous protocols and meds doses? BCP? 

Thanks for the wishes for the adoption!

IVF #1 - No BCP, No Lupron, 300 Gonal F and 3 -4 vials (went up and down) of Menopour, triggered with Ganerilex. 8 ER, 5M - 1F

IVF #2 - BCP (21 days), Micro dose Lupron flare, 300 Gonal F and 4 vials of Menopour, triggered with Ovidrel - 15 ER, 13M, 10F, 7 made it to ET

IVF #3 - same as 2 - 10 ER, 8M, 5F, 4 made it to transfer

I get some good looking embryos at transfer, 7 - 9 cell but clearly am not hitting any superstar home runs here.

I appreciate that my RE wants to try something else because this past cycle didn't work but I am not sure if he just wants to say he is doing something or really believes this is a proper step. 

• Hm, this is a tough one. I think a second opinion definitely would help. It does seem like with the MDL protocol you got a good response, and was successful once; so it's hard to say if the second time BFN was just "bad luck" or not... 
    On the other hand good luck with the adoption!! 
    Dx: High FSH, stage IV endo, homozygous C677T MTHFR and PAI-1
    Early loss 10/08
    Lap 1/09
    IVF #1 "natural IVF" - 1 egg retrieved, missed m/c
    Tried several mini-stim cycles with no response
    Switched clinics - dx'd as carrier for Fragile X
    IVF #2 MDL protocol Jan/Feb converted to IUI, BFN
    IVF #2 take 2: Antagonist, one embie, BFN
    IVF #3: Antagonist, no fertilization
    One last ditch effort at OE IVF (antagonist with Clomid) cancelled
    DE cycle #1 Jan/Feb 2011, BFP, ectopic
    DE cycle #2 June/July 2011 - BFP
    10/28/11 Baby girl lost at 17 weeks due to pre-term labor. We love and miss you.
    DE cycle #3 June/July 2012 - BFP, twins, both heartbeats stopped, D&C
    2 frosties but don't know what's next
    FET Dec 2012: BFP! Praying this one sticks for the long haul!
  • I sincerely believe that Lupron is the devil.  Out of my three fresh cycles, the lupron one yielded "funky looking" embryos (direct quote from the embryologist).  I'm an excellent responder and had 4 and 6 frosties from my other two non-lupron cycles (none from the lupron cycle despite having 30 eggs retrieved).  I also had BFNs with my FETs using Lupron.  Lupron also made me feel horrible - not just physically but psychologically.  It was months after my last dose of lupron before I even began to feel like myself.  So my advice? Stay away from Lupron.  ALSO - use a clinic that treats you as an individual rather than trying to stick you in their mold.
    S/PAIFW
    Tara & Dave - TTC since September 2006
    PCOS - dx 1999 (amenorrhea) | freakishly long fallopian tubes
    Hypoglycemic | thyroid issues | severely anemic
    Multiple Clomid cycles of 50, 100, 150 - absolutely no response
    Follistim 50/100 | Follistim 75/125 | Follistim 100/150 IUI - all BFNs
    Converted IVF - BFP - m/c | FET - BFN | IVF #2 = BFN
    IVF #3
  • I am also be surprised with the suggestion of LL with your history. Have you considered Corn.ell? I know Dav.is is the guru, but I saw/see another RE that takes my insurance and am quite happy. You're on max meds, and even though you produce well, your protocols have been aggressive. I also produce well (albeit slowly) on aggressive protocols and max stims. It's probably even less personal there, and their admin side is horrible, but I have a lot of confidence in them medically. You could page Vanessa since she cycled at both clinics and can maybe give insight over the two approaches. They have a lot of experience with DOR patients and have a lot of cards to play regarding creating protocols. Even the 'same' protocol may have a twist to it that benefits you. If not C.r.M.i. I agree that a second opinion may be appropriate at this time, even if it just confirms that you're on the right track at your current clinic. Good luck !!!

+++
  • Ahhh, i went there too....also they pushed long lupron hard!  I had a crappy first cycle there, but did get pregnant w a poor quality embie.  I mc-ed around 8wks.

What i thought was weird, was they pushed long lupron HARD again...after seeing how bad the embies were, and that i had an uneven response.

It actually prompted me to get a 2nd opionion.  I went to dr span.dorfer @ cor.nell, show said long lupron was a poor choice for me...and switched me to antagonist.  MUCH better. 

I loooooooove him, if u want another opinion.  I was 34, and ended up pregnant with this baby as i was turning 36.  So not 53, but not 23 either. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagePrettyAccountant:

Hi Ladies,

I realize everyone is different but the RE is suggesting we try the Long Lupron protocol for this next cycle. I feel like we are going back to square one. I am AMA but a decent responder. I haven't met with him to hear what he has to say but I just feel like this is the protocol most RE's use first - not on a 4th IVF. To be honest with you, I am not even sure I will go back to my RE (RMA in NY). They are a drive through IVF clinic and it drives me crazy. DH says he thinks they are fine and we will be successful using RMA but my attitude is I think they are just guessing (hence the lets try Long Lupron) instead of really trying to find what is best for me. The past two cycle we used Lupron but it was a few days after BCP.

What do you ladies think about using a Long Lupron protocol at this stage in the game? I think I need to get my butt out of RMA - they are not very good with AMA patients.

Thanks

Rachel

PS i m curious as to who ur RE is there.  My dh also wanted to push forward w RMA.  After we got out 2nd opinion, he changed his mind.  It was the right move for us.  I do not think i would have been successful there.  I think my case needed new approaches, and that was not their thing.
  • imagevanessagorc:
    imagePrettyAccountant:
    PS i m curious as to who ur RE is there.  My dh also wanted to push forward w RMA.  After we got out 2nd opinion, he changed his mind.  It was the right move for us.  I do not think i would have been successful there.  I think my case needed new approaches, and that was not their thing.

hey Vanessa - sent you a PM.

• imageEdwina.McDunnough:

I am also be surprised with the suggestion of LL with your history. Have you considered Corn.ell? I know Dav.is is the guru, but I saw/see another RE that takes my insurance and am quite happy. You're on max meds, and even though you produce well, your protocols have been aggressive. I also produce well (albeit slowly) on aggressive protocols and max stims. It's probably even less personal there, and their admin side is horrible, but I have a lot of confidence in them medically. You could page Vanessa since she cycled at both clinics and can maybe give insight over the two approaches. They have a lot of experience with DOR patients and have a lot of cards to play regarding creating protocols. Even the 'same' protocol may have a twist to it that benefits you. If not C.r.M.i. I agree that a second opinion may be appropriate at this time, even if it just confirms that you're on the right track at your current clinic. Good luck !!!

Hi Edwina - I actually want to go to Cornell for my second opinion. I understand their admin side is a nightmare but honestly, I have seen many nightmares and can handle an incompetent or snarky admin.

Sending you a PM.

Thanks so much!

• imagePrettyAccountant:

imagevanessagorc:
    imagePrettyAccountant:

hey Vanessa - sent you a PM.

hasn't come thru yet :)
  • I am so happy to hear the adoption plans are progressing - I really really hope that it will work out and I am feeling very hopeful for you. It's definitely possible that your doctor has a good rationale for wanting to try long Lupron other than "why not?" so I would question him further to try to get an idea of where he is coming from with that. FWIW, I do recall someone on IF who did 2 fresh cycles w/ antagonist and then switched to what was actually a more reputable clinic and had success on the 3rd fresh cycle with long Lupron...not suggesting it would be your magic ticket or anything, but there could be a legitimate logic to it.

That being said, if you are having doubts about your clinic in general, I think it is definitely wise to look around at this point and I think E and V both gave you good advice. I have done antagonist for all of my IVFs, though as others said, long Lupron seems to have more severe side effects, at least during the suppression phase. I know we will probably continue with antagonist since it did bring me success once before (of course my pg with Naava and Aminadav ended in a total fiasco but I think it was pretty successful from an IVF perspective).

Thinking of you and sending thoughts & prayers for continued good news on the adoption front. Also, let us know how it goes with potentially getting some 2nd opinions.

IUIs #1-3 (1x unmedicated, 2x Clomid) = 2 BFNs, 1 m/c at 7w3d
    IUIs #4-6 (injects) = 3 BFNs
    IVF #1 = BFN
    FET #1 = BFN
    FET #2 = BFN
    IVF #2 = BFP, b/g twins lost at 20w due to partial abruption/PPROM
    IVF #3 = c/p 5w2d
    Long-shot Clomid/Prednisone cycle before next IVF = BFP, our beautiful, healthy girl born 6/26/13!
    ~~
    TTC again March 2014
    FET #3 - May/June 2014
    -
    all embryos arrested before xfer - back to the drawing board...
    IVF #4 - July/August 2014 
    beta 1 (11dp3dt) 220, beta 2 (13dp3dt) 671, beta 3 (19dp3dt) 10762
  • imagePrettyAccountant:
    imagerockpaperlove:

Love - Rachel

I'm also interested to hear! Please keep us updated. 

In regards to Long lupron that's also what our RE has recommended trying next for our what we believe is our final cycle (IVF-ICSI #3) here.

My husband called me a drama queen when I expressed some hesitation, because from things I've read it puts the body through a temporary menopause. It also sounds incredibly unpleasant. Not that any of this is pleasant, but dragging it all out even longer and the toll on my body just makes me angry.

We know we have a sperm issue and I think it's larger than we're aware of. Our fert rate is about 50%.

Honestly I think the doctor is doing this simply because there isn't much wiggle room. Many things are illegal here, like PGD, or anything that theoretically could give us a little more info. That's the joy of the socialized insurance. It's great if it works and for most people it does, but when you're already at the end in your early 30s it's very humbling.  

ETA: All of these responses make me even more nervous to go forth with this. Yuck. 

(Live in Europe) TTC since 1/2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"