Pregnant after 35
Options

Midwife vs OBGYN

I used a midwife, and went the au naturel route for my first four pregnancies.  This time around I can't seem to find a midwife that accepts my insurance and delivers close enough to me.

I have a history of rapid labor - my last dd was born in 36 minutes and we just barely made it to the hospital before she came out, so I need to deliver close to home.  I prefer to deliver in a hospital as well since the rapid labor caused a few issues with each of the kids' births.

I've decided to go with my regular OBGYN since we have a decent history together, but I am nervous that a regular OB will push a lot of intervention that I'm not interested in.  I don't want any drugs, IV's, episiotomies etc.  I didn't need them with any of my first four and unless absolutely necessary I will not use them this time.

Has anyone had a natural birth using an OB vs a Midwife? Were they accomodating to your wishes and supportive of your desire for little/no intervention? 

Lucky Mom to 5 girls: 09/97, 06/99, 10/02, 11/04, 04/08 & Peanut #6 due in April! Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Midwife vs OBGYN

• Options
    I would think, especially if you have a good relationship with your OB, that if you make your wishes known ahead of time, that should be a good start, or at least will give you an idea of how the OB might take it. It is probalby also a good idea to have a birthing plan, or at least written instructions, on hand to state your wishes clearly to the hospital staff as well.
    In this case, I would think your wishes would be respected.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Your OB wont push you into anything! If they ask, say no or yes.Simple as that.  Mine have never pushed me, as a matter of fact, with my first, i was going on almost 2 week late, i wanted to be induced and he talked me out of it telling me all the facts and i should wait a couple more days to see what happens, the next day i was in labor :)  I was sooo glad he told me to wait!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with pp - while I prefer a midwife, there is an OB in town with whom I have a good relationship & if I had to, would be fine with delivering. You don't have to agree to any interventions, testing, etc if you don't want them. And, if you have a good relationship with your OBGYN, and start an open dialog right away, you should be on the same page
    8 month cutie

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    not sure at all - the doc may say he is okay w/this'n that but the hospital may have policies that you will hear about then and there from doc/nurses?  I vote for the midwife and then get to the doc if needed {can you see both? that is what we did w/ a later preggo}  { and went w/the midwife }
  • Options

A regular OB is a doctor, and will be prone to try to treat your symptoms. There's a lot of anxiety that people have about doctor's pushing things that aren't needed, but it's not like that if you truly have a doc you work well with, that understands how you want the birth to be.

I was aiming for totally natural with my first, and my MALE doc was 100% on board with that. He only suggested meds when DS' heartrate was acting like he was in distress (I was constantly monitored due to blood pressure, and GD), but he never "pushed" them. Even after I requested the epi, when the doc though it was necessary to to a c-sect, he talked to me about it, but never pushed his perspective. He merely discussed it with me, told me that was his opinion/recommendation and told me I didn't have to make a choice right then, because it wasn't an emergency situation.

Talk with your OB, they can NOT give you drugs unless you authorize them, and IV's are typically only used if you are dehydrated, or if there are other medical issues. Episiotomies are also becoming les and less popular, and if you put in your birth plan that you do NOT want one, they aren't supposed to do it.

• Options

Think of it this way.  If you have a history of quick labours, there just won't be any time to push anything on you.

I had a natural childbirth in hospital with my GP.  Totally supportive.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    Thanks for the great feedback. It's very appreciated!
    Lucky Mom to 5 girls: 09/97, 06/99, 10/02, 11/04, 04/08 & Peanut #6 due in April! Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"