Military Families
Options

Tricare Standard and an IUD

I have been thinking of what type of bc I will use after LO is here and I have decided upon getting an IUD because DH and I want to wait about 3 or 4 years till we have our nest one. Does anyone know how much I will pay out of pocket for it? On another note, do any of you ladies have/had one and did you like it? I definitely prefer the copper one like ParaGuard over the hormonal one like Mirena.Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tricare Standard and an IUD

• Options

Tricare Prime covered 100% of mine. I had Mirena & loved it. It gave me no problems. You have to have it ordered & scheduled to be put in before your last post-natal visit or else you have to go back to your PCM to refer you back to the OB to do it. You also have to get another referral when you want to have it taken it.

• Options
    No one can really give you a definitive answer other than your doctor. It depends on what they bill Tricare, i.e. IUD, office visit, labs (they'll likely want a pregnancy test), etc. Whatever Tricare allows, you'll pay 15% of that if you have met your deductible. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I see a provider out of network so I paid 20% vice the 15 you'd pay for in network. I can't recall exactly but for the insertion and the cost for the actual IUD ( mine was Mirena) it was somewhere around 170. I just had mine removed and had my annual with my cost being $93.93. Cant recall how much of that was the removal but likely around 40.

My provider gave me all the codes they submit to insurance and their costs for those services. I then called Tricare to find out how much they pay to get an idea of the most I could pay. You might pay less depending on the negotiated payments between your provider and Tricare but it's an idea at least.

• Options
    imageArmyQM:

I see a provider out of network so I paid 20% vice the 15 you'd pay for in network. I can't recall exactly but for the insertion and the cost for the actual IUD ( mine was Mirena) it was somewhere around 170. I just had mine removed and had my annual with my cost being $93.93. Cant recall how much of that was the removal but likely around 40.

My provider gave me all the codes they submit to insurance and their costs for those services. I then called Tricare to find out how much they pay to get an idea of the most I could pay. You might pay less depending on the negotiated payments between your provider and Tricare but it's an idea at least.

Since you were out of network, they can charge you up to 20% more than a network provider. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageLissa832:
    imageArmyQM:
    I see a provider out of network so I paid 20 vice the 15 you'd pay for in network. I can't recall exactly but for the insertion and the cost for the actual IUD mine was Mirena it was somewhere around 170. I just had mine removed and had my annual with my cost being 93.93. Cant recall how much of that was the removal but likely around 40.

Since you were out of network, they can charge you up to 20 more than a network provider.nbsp;
    Ok?
  • Options
    Mine was 100% covered by Tricare. We were overseas at the time though, so I don't know if that makes any difference or not. I had Mirena (the only option where we were) and I really liked it. I have zero problems with it, and it was in for about 2 years. After about 3-4 months of having it in, I didn't even get periods anymore- yippee! When we decided we were ready for #2, I got it out and got pg about 6 months later (we also PCS'd from Japan-NJ during those 6 months so we probably weren't 100% trying all 6 cycles!) 
  • Options

My Mirena was covered 100%.  Actually, two of them were covered, because the first attempt at getting it in was a no-go.

I'm very happy with it - no side effects, no hassle!  

Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Lurker...

Tricare wouldn't cover Mirena at all for me.  Because of how the Dr had to go about ordering it, Tricare said they wouldn't cover it and it would cost me roughly $800 out of pocket.  Needless to say we chose not to go that route.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"