January 2012 Moms
Options

Reply to CDs

The bump doesn't seem to be accepting replies.  Sorry for spamming with another thread. >.<;

There's a lot of info out there about modern cloth diapers. A lot of people think about flats and rubber pants, but it's come a long way. These days, they're designed to go on just as easily as a disposable with snaps or velcro to close them.  Plus they come in really cute patterns that's addicting to buy.

First off, I suggest you check out the youtube series 'Cloth Diapering 101'. It goes through all the popular types and how to use them. I also suggest you go over to the cloth diapering board. There's an FAQ at the top of the board that's hella useful.

All the modern types are pretty breathable and easy to get clean, but the short and dirty is that there are 3 main types. Prefolds/fitted and covers involve putting a cloth prefold/cover around the baby and putting a waterproof cover over it. Pockets have liners that you put inserts inside so you can customize absorbancy. All in ones have the absorbant parts sewn in. There's benefits and downfalls to each type, but I won't overload you with that (yet ;) ).

The wash routine is pretty easy and not much of a hassle. I run them through a cold rinse, do a hot wash with detergent with a cold rinse, then another cold rinse. Some of the diapers with elastic or waterproof PUL can't go in the dryer, but everything else gets dried on high. I do laundry every 2-3 days, so that's about 3 loads of laundry a week. We haven't seen an increase in utilities.

We've spent $350 so far on our stash, but that's essentially all we'll have to spend. Maybe we'll spend $50 on the last size prefold when he's a toddler, but we have the full range of diapers available for our next baby(s). Plus they hold their resale value pretty well as cloth diapering is getting popular.

Let us know if you have any specific questions or concerns. It looks like there's enough moms here who cloth diaper where we can help you out (or tell you who can).

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
Lilypie Maternity tickers
imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

Re: Reply to CDs

• Options

Thank you so much!!!!!! I'll do some research and go from there. I'm thinking the prefolded cloth with the waterproof cover. - I think those are the adorable ones I've seen at target?? But I'll definitely have to study some more before I make the final decision.

Thank you Namara I really appreciate this!

And YAY, looks like we can reply again :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Great summary! It is really hard not to overwhelm people about CDing : I'm also happy to answer questions and share resources.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

DD 1/3/2012
    BFP 5/21/2013 MC 5/24/2013
    BFP 7/16/2013 EDD 3/27/2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"