Postpartum Depression
Options

How did it start? And how did you tell your dr?

The first couple weeks I had what I knew was just baby blues. Cried a lot over every little thing, and was really emotional. Well now at 4 weeks I feel like I am slipping. I've been really short tempered, very impatient, and irritable with DS. I'd never hurt him, but it takes so much self control to not just want to scream when he won't stop crying. He's colicky so that doesn't help at all. I find myself not wanting visitors at all, and while at first I hated being stuck in the house, now I find that I don't want to leave the house. I don't want to be around people. Being out and about makes me anxious and I can hardly focus. I was at the doctors office and it took everything I had to concentrate on the forms, and I kept messing up and scratching things out over and over. I am starting to eat more, but more so because I know I NEED to and not so much because I want to. It's so easy for me to go all day without eating or drinking, I just don't think about it. I think though my biggest concern is how impatient and irritable I have become. Also, I love my son with all my heart. He is our miracle and I am so blessed to have him, but I feel so disconnected from him, especially when he is fussy. The only time I feel truly connected to him is when I start to feel guilty, and then I snuggle him and tell him I love him so much, because I feel like such a horrible mother. I don't know if it's just stress or if I am developing ppd.

How did it start for you? How do I tell my doctor this without looking like a horrible mom? I wish I could just ignore how I am feeling, but I know I can't. Also, did anyone get medication for it, and hide it from their husband, friends, and family. I don't want anyone to know I am struggling. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How did it start? And how did you tell your dr?

• Options

Please let someone know.  You are NOT a bad mum PPD happens to so many women and if we all talked about it the less taboo it would become.  You just gave birth (which is tramatic on the body and hormones), you are probably sleep deprived and stressed.  Having a baby is a major lifestyle change, no wonder your feeling stressed.

I was diagnosed with PPD at 3 months PP.  I am on Prozac and its helping.  When it started is not something I can pin point.  It gradually crept up on me, and then hit me like a ton of bricks.

You need to share these feelings with someone.  Your doctor will not think you are a horrible mum, everyone will think your a GREAT mum for asking for help.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

First I am sorry you are joining the board. Second welcome and make sure you talk anytime you need to!

I started to realize things were getting out of hand when I kept picking fights with DH. And also started to feel like I should just be alone. That DH and I shouldn't even be together. And let me tell you the man is a saint! He is an amazing father and husband. Then I started to cry ALOT! I was so irritable too. And I could not concentrate if my life depended on it. Most days I was able to just do the basics, feed the girls, change the girls, a little bit of play, and feed myself. Anything above and beyond felt like a monumental task.

I agree with PP. I wish more women would talk about their experiences of transitioning into a mom (even if it is on their 2+).  I started to blog about my experience and the outpour from family members especially with their stories blew my mind. And made me feel like I was not so broken. I wish people would talk more 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    cbmp06cbmp06 member
    I struggled with depression and anxiety for years before having a baby, so I kind of anticipated it coming.  For me it happened right away, the first few weeks after giving birth.  I would just sit in a chair and hold my daughter and cry.  I didnt want to see anyone or eat or go anywhere.  I felt like a terrible mom for some reason.  I felt like I didn't deserve my beautiful daughter or my wonderful husband.  I reached out to my family and went to the dr and had my medication adjusted and started to feel better.  Now, 4 months later, I am starting to have a hard time again.  I don't know if it is a hormone adjustment or I need my meds fixed again or what.  This time around I am having a harder time reaching out to people and I don't know why, but I am going back to the dr... and I think this time I am going to ask about counseling.  There isn't anyone in my life I feel like I can talk to about PPD but I know I have to get these feelings out or it is just going to get worse.  Maybe that is an option for you?  That way it is confidential.  It's too bad that we feel as though it has to be a secret.  Just please make sure you get the help you need.  You can't take care of someone without taking care of yourself first.  Hang in there mama<3  You can always come here too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo c15e5de6-d798-4a98-9644-9987af04720b_zpsa920caa6.jpg
  • Options

Yes...like OP's said...tell someone, please, or it will only get worse.  I was diagnosed at 7 months PP.  I was that person that should have spoken up right away, but didn't so mine got REALLY BAD!  Severe insomnia hit me like a mack truck even though DS was STTN.  I wanted to kill myself I was sooooo miserable.  Would have never gone through with it, but I felt THAT bad.  Told me dr...got in to see a therapists and a physchiatrist and I was put on 3 different meds.  One to control mind racing thoughts, an antidepressant and an anti anxiety to take at night to help me sleep.  Thank God...they helped me.  I had to do a lot of searching to find the right meds and the right dosages, but once we finally found them...I was fine.  I hated having to take meds, but you gotta do what you gotta do.  I am currently weaning off of one of my meds right now.  Was on 600mgs now I'm only on 75...so I am slowly making progress.  Things do and will get better, but you gotta speak up first...please.  Hope this helps.

Oh if you wanna know my meds I will gladly share:

-Serequel...helps control mind racing and helps keep you asleep and makes you sleepy (It is normally prescribed for bi-polar or schizophrenia-dont' know if I spelled that right?) 

-Trazodone...anti depressant.  It is an older one that has been studied a lot more than the newer ones out.  It isn't an SSRI drug, but does help with depression/anxiety and sleeplessness. 

-Klonopin...anti anxiety and a benzo like Xanax and Ativan.  It is prescribed mostly for panick attacks and people who have seizures.  It will also help knock you out at night.   

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options
    I had the baby blues about 3 weeks.  Then the first thing about PPD I noticed (in hindsight) was how ill I was.  I had this perfect little baby and was so unhappy.  I was even getting resentful toward her for things like breastfeeding.  Then it just snowballed.  I didn't want DH coming near me, couldn't function at work, could sleep at night or nap during the day.  I finally just got fed up and didn't care if anyone thought I was a horrible mom or person or whatever.  I had a drs appt and didn't work up the courage to say anything, but called back the next day for another appt and finally told him I just couldn't handle things.  He was totally non-judgmental.  He gave me a rx and said if it didn't work to come back and we'd work something else out that would.  One of the best decisions I ever made. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My baby is 9 months old and I really feel like I have PPD.  sucky thing is that I am already on antidepressants, so now I feel even worse!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"