December 2011 Moms

Attn: Earth's Best Cereal Users!!!

Attn Earth's Best cereal users!! I just bought a box of Earth's Best Organic Whole Grain Oatmeal cereal, which I opened yesterday- it was shrink wrapped and completely sealed. I poured some into a bowl for Hudson and it looked fine, so I fed it to him. Afterwards, when I was cleaning up, I noticed a small caterpillar crawling on the outside of the box- figured it must hav
e come in from outside, put the box in a ziplock and forgot about it. Then this AM, went to make Hudson's oatmeal, and there was another caterpillar INSIDE the bag, so out of curiosity, I dumped the entire contents of the box into the plastic bag- there were multiple dead bugs- moths of some kind- plus two LIVE ones!! Also some other weird chunks of who knows what else. When I opened up the empty box and looked inside, there were what looked like webs and cocoons stuck all inside the box! Aaccckkkk!! I am freaking out- I fed this to our kid!! I know eating a bug won't hurt him, but still, this is seriously wrong!! Called the company, but they are closed on Sundays. Wanted to warn all my friends-- the lot number of the cereal is C71, but if you have ANY Earth's Best cereal, you should dump it out into a clear bag and check it!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Attn: Earth's Best Cereal Users!!!

• Eek! Thanks for the heads up! I've heard that flour and other grains can have weevils small bugs in it. Maybe from the processing location? I don't think it will hurt him with the small amt he's had but I' be mad too. Maybe they can refund your money?
  • Ugh the Bump Gods took out my parenthesis!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for posting this!  I just bought a package of this cereal yesterday, I will definitely be returning it now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 0015-1
  • I think I'm going to vomit. I just emptied both my boxes. I bought them a few months ago but never used cereals. Was the use by date okay.  Ughhh I'm so skeeved. I know some stores have the stuff on their shelves for a long time and it's more the stores fault. I'd still FLIP on the company. 

Lilypie - (ovfd)

• It was so gross. The bugs must have come from the manufacturing plant, as the box was completely closed, AND sealed in shrink wrap. Need to call the company again today and see what they have to say...
  • imagejmd22:
    It was so gross. The bugs must have come from the manufacturing plant, as the box was completely closed, AND sealed in shrink wrap. Need to call the company again today and see what they have to say...

Please share what Earth's Best has to say - that's the exact oatmeal we use for LO so I'd be curious to hear their explanation! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This can be a risk when using organic products. The bugs are gross, but you can rest assured they won't do any harm to your child.

I live in an area where eating anything non-organic is viewed as child abuse (which I think is pretty over-the-top), and these things do happen!

Let us know what the company says. I use this kind of cereal, too, and will check mine out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"