Illinois Babies
Options

Wanted: Hospital and OBGYN Advice

This is my first pregnancy and I'm starting to research hospitals. I don't want a hospital that pushes intervention and am seriously considering natural childbirth (with help of a doula or midwife).

My current Dr is affiliated with Northwestern/Prentice. I've heard Prentice is the nicest hospital but pushes mainstream childbirth with lots of medical intervention (I've also heard people refer to it as a baby factory). I'd rather not have to switch Dr's but if Prentice isn't very flexible I'm afraid I will need to switch.

• What are your thoughts on Prentice vs other hospitals like NorthShore (Evanston), UIC, and Swedish Covenant?

• If you delivered at one of the other hospitals and loved it, do you have an OBGYN that you'd recommend?

• If you used a doula or midwife is there someone you'd recommend?

Looking forward to your advice! Thanks!

Re: Wanted: Hospital and OBGYN Advice

• Options

I gave birth to our LO last year at Prentice and beforehand took the tour that PP mentioned. The hospital itself doesn't really have a say as to whether you go Med Free or accept Medical Interventions. That really is between you and your doctor since your doctor is really the one that calls the shots so to speak. We were even told that if you wanted to go Med Free, it is best to stay and labor at home as long as possible as it is their experience that once people are admitted into the hospital, and that they know they can get an epidural with just a click of a button, they are quicker to "cave" and as for an Epi in the heat of the moment. The only Prentice staff that I came across during my stay is the nursing staff, who took orders from my doctor or followed my requests.

Though I went into labor with the intention of getting an epidural (something that my doctor was well aware of), about half of my friends that have given birth at Prentice have been able to go Med Free. I also know that Prentice has a few birthing tubs that are available to their patients but they are on a "first come, first serve" basis. So my suggestion would be to try to get a good read on your current OB to see how supportive they are of Med Free births, If they are all for it, you should be good. But if they seem to be on the fence or even "well we'll see how you feel once your in labor" you may want to find another doc or midwife (there are even some midwife groups that are affiliated with Prentice themselves).

Hope that all helps somewhat, at least from a Prentice standpoint!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

For a natural birth Prentice is not a great option. Can it be done?? Of course, as a doula I have attended natural births there, but the hospital has a 98% epidural rate. While they do have tubs(3 tubs for the 30-40 births they do a day), most of the OB practices do not allow their patients to use them since they have little experience with them and they are reserved for the midwife patients. 

In general your best bet for a natural/low intervention birth is to switch from an OB to a midwife practice. Midwives are a lot more experienced with natural birth, more supportive of it and more likely to give your body the chance to delivery on its own without tons of interventions. The difference between seeing an OB and a midwife at the same hospital is night and day. As for a doula you can use one with a midwife or an OB. www.doulamatch.net is a good way to find someone.

As for midwife groups in Chicagoland  

UIC-allows 42w pregnancy, lots of natural birth patients, very low c/s rate, wireless monitors that can be used in water, two deep tubs for labor, big showers every rooms, hopefully getting waterbirth soon, open to gentle slow inductions. Negatives are lots of students and it is a large group so it is hard to get to know everyone

Swedish-Sometimes allows for 42 week pg, labor tubs/shower in every room, birthing stools, few students, lots of natural births, nice small group. Negatives no wireless monitors so if induced you are stuck on a short leash.

West sub-Allows 42w pg, two rooms specifically designed for natural birth and offers water birth(ABC rooms), wireless monitors, lots of natural births, showers in every room. Negatives, if ABC is full no water birth, hospital a little older looking

NWern-Wireless monitors, two tubs for water birth, huge showers in every room, pretty rooms. Negatives more likely to induce, can't use tub till 5cm+ and it is rare to get it and if you do it is still not a guaranteed waterbirth, baby policies at NWern at some what strict 

Evanston- They have a few labor tubs, allow for 42w pregnancy, wireless monitors for being up and moving, and it is a small group so you get to know the midwives well. Very used to natural birth.  

Samantha Trebilcock BSN RN, CD(DONA), PES, CBE http://naturalbeginningsdoula.vpweb.com/
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I just saw your post.  I am a FTM so I can't speak from experience at the hospital but I am with the Northwestern Midwives and I love them.  They are very supportive of my hope for a natural birth.  I have heard great things about them from other moms who've labored w/ them, including what a PP said about midwives' patients basically getting priority on waterbirths at Prentice, if that's something you're interested in.

Basically, for us, the NW midwives are the best of all worlds b/c they support our birth plan but we feel good knowing we've got the best medical care just outside our door (for both me and the baby), just in case.

Good luck! 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"