Minnesota Babies

Prenatal care at Park Nicollet?

I recently found out I am pregnant with my first! I have been seeing a OBGYN at Park Nicollet and will continue to see them through out this pregnancy.

I was just curious if anyone has been seen at Park Nicollet for a pregnany and what I could expect from my first appt. It will be a week from Weds. It will be with the NP and I will see the Dr. 5 weeks later.

Any info you could give me on what to expect from either visit would be greatly appreciated!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Prenatal care at Park Nicollet?

• I go to PN-Carlson Pkwy and went in at 5wks first and since I didn't know my cycle dates for sure, they did an ultrasound to see if there was anything in there (got to see the yolk sack.) and again at 8wks and they did an ultrasound to see that the pregnancy was viable-meaning, still there and progressing into a humanoid :)  At 12 weeks they used the doppler to hear the heartbeat.  Next appt is around 20 weeks for another ultrasound and find out the sex of the baby.  It may depend on your OB as to what schedule they like to do. 
  • I had a great experience at Park Nicollet in St. Louis Park. They first wanted to see me at 6 weeks, and honestly I don't remember what exactly happened then but I know there was an ultrasound at 8 weeks and the "big one" at 20 weeks. I actually switched to Park Nicollet from my previous gyno because I didn't want to deliver at the hospital they were affiliated with. I had no issues with the transition and I still go to Park Nicollet and the same gyno because I like her so much! Can't say enough about the standard of pre- and post-natal care I received.
  • Loading the player...
  • As the others said, you'll have an internal ultrasound at your first appointment (mine was about 8 weeks), so be prepared for that (feels kind of like a pap smear).  You'll be able to see your baby, but it's unlikely you will be able to hear the heartbeat at that time.  At your 12 and 16 week apointments, you won't have another ultrasound, they'll just listen for the heartbeat with a doppler.  You can choose to get a special scan as 12 weeks where they check for any abnormalities; if you do that, you will have another ultrasound at that point.

I definitely recommend writing down questions as they come up for you and then asking them during each appointment--we had great experiences with Park Nicollet-St Louis Park giving us lots of time to ask our questions.

Congrats! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This hospital is okay.  I am about 20 weeks and new to the area and this was the closest hospital to us so we are going to PN.  If you see the doctor there, you'r appointments will alternate between the nurse practitioner and the doctor.  I have only seen the doctor once yet, and I am about halfway through my pregnancy.  My doctor most likely won't be the one to deliver me, and my nurse I feel like couldn't care about me less, I am just another appointment to her. 

Their ultrasound technology is wayyyyy outdated!  My father is a physician back from where I am from and his friend performed my 18 week ultrasound to determine the gender for me and I was given a disc of photos and got 3D pictures.  You get one printout at PN and it is so grainy its terrible.  When I asked if they performed 3D ultrasounds I got a flat out no - others have told me that their nurse or doctor recommended them to somewhere.  

Back to my nurse, I am so glad that I have done as much research here on the bump and other sites as I have.  My nurse has not offered me any help, and only really answers questions.  If I don't have any questions the appointment is over. Also, my father wanted me to take the genetic testing.  I was supposed to be offered a first round of testing at 8 weeks - I was never offered this.  They just gave me some packet and it didn't include any dates, just answered basic questions like "what is screening".  I had to wait to take the quad screen until I was 17 weeks.  

I am now on the hunt for a new hospital.  I am sure others have had a great experience here, but now that I have seen what treatment others get at different hospitals, I will be quick to find a new place - which is too bad because it is so close and convenient for me. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"