August 2012 Moms
Options

I hate breastfeeding.

I literally cringe every time I lift up my shirt to latch LO on. Some days it's easier than the rest but I'm struggling here. I found this  https://hellogiggles.com/dear-breastfeeding-moms-who-feel-like-giving-up that helped lift me up a little. Any advice from STMs or other EBFers?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I hate breastfeeding.

• Options
    It does get easier and know that not everyone has that "it's the most amazing feeling to have this deep connect with lo" feeling.  I NEVER had that but continued until she weaned at 11 1/2 months.  Just take it day by day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    When the latch hurts or when I see he's not gonna have a wide open mouth latch, I stick my pinky in and break the suction and start over and keep doing it until he gets it right.  If its right, it doesn't hurt.  Well I would say it doesn't hurt as much.  That initial suck is not fun, but its not bad like when they're latched wrong.  

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I found it very painful at first as well. Hang in there, it gets better. The first few weeks are the hardest. After I got past the painful part, I really did enjoy the bond of breastfeeding and I look forward to doing it again with dd #3 :)
  • Options

I know what you mean. :(

But I cringe because it hurts so badly. It hurt with number one as well. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It's almost impossible to get little one to open her mouth wide enough and the second she munches down I want to scream out in pain. Tongue Tied And then the horrible cramping begins. blehg. I hope it gets easier soon.

• Options
    I didn't enjoy breastfeeding until LO was about (at least) a month old. I have insanely sensitive skin and DS had an insane latch so it was excruciating painful for the first 2-3 weeks and still somewhat uncomfortable for another 1-2 weeks after that. It DID get better and we went on to successfully exclusively bf until he was about 8 months old. But I absolutely know the feeling of dreading feedings and wanting to give up. I'm glad I stuck it out though. 

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • Options

Le Leche League meetings! The support I got from other BFing moms was incredible.

https://www.llli.org/webus.html

In terms of painful latch, getting pointers from them can help. Also, using a nipple shield for a few days so your nipples can heal (like if they are cracked and bleeding) can make it much more bearable. Using lanolin in between feeds to promote healing and provide a light barrier can help, too. With DS1, it was really hard for about 10 weeks but then made life so easy over the long-term. This time, it is flowing much more easily (though I just healed from my own cracked nipples because of DS2's pinchy latch).

• Options

Yesterday I almost quit.  I had a horrible appt with a LC on Fri.  She was rude, so unhelpful and I was more discouraged after I left than I was going in.  My nips hurt so bad, so Sat morning after I was sobbing, my DH told me to pump for the day to give me a break and let me heal a little. I ended up in the ER for other reasons (a really intersting story I need to post), and was so enorged when I got out, I just BF DD2 right when we got home.  Even though I only took a 6 hour break, it was like a whole new experience. It didn't really hurt, Cam latched on great, and I was ready to give it another try.

I know people say not to give babies a bottle until 3 or 4 weeks, but it really saved me. If I get to the point where I want to give up, I can pump and give myself a little break, and she is still getting my breast milk.

Is there a way you can see a LC (not all are awful like the one I saw).  You're not in this alone!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic C 5.14.08 c 8.9.12 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I had the same problem with DD1, it hurt so bad that lots of times, I would cry when nursing her because of the pain. I was prescribed a cream that also had ibuprofen in it (Jack Newman nipple cream) and even with that it was still painful.

I would say by 2months, it finally stopped hurting and I really enjoyed breastfeeding. I am really looking forward to doing it again with baby#2 although I hope it wont hurt as much this time, I know that if it does, the pain will pass and it'll be all worth it = )

Hang in there! You can do it = ) 

• Options

It was SO hard with DS1.  Between the pain and the cluster feeding, it felt like unending torture.  We hit a turning point at 8 weeks, after that, the latch was better, he was more efficient, it was a completely different experience.

This time, since the boys were premature and there's 2 of them, I do more pumping than nursing and we started with nipple shields.  I don't know if it's knowing what to expect, but I find this time a lot easier, even though there's two, but still wonder how long I'll make it.

Then I feel guilty since DS1 didn't wean until 15 months.  Good luck!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Became a Mrs. on 4/29/06 and a Mommy on 12/5/08

image image image
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I enjoy hearing your stories and knowing I'm not alone. I've been going to a local breastfeeding group but they pretty much make everything seem like puppies and rainbows over there. 
  • Options
    Honeslty, this time (I have nursed three kids and this is #4- exclussively)  if I was a FTM I would have quit.  day 3 my milk came in and I hadthe worst cracked and bleeding nipples ever.   I felt like Lo had vampire teeth.. I cried and hated nursing.. I got mastitis on day 4 went to get meds and by day 6-7 I felt like I was gonna die!  On day 8 I got thrush from the meds from the mastitis- and now at day 14 I have to say- seriously - I think I got the hang of it.  the thrush cream healed my cracked nipples and I pumped on the worst side with the cracked nipples.  It hurt to have a shower over my nipples it was bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    If it is importnant - keep it up.  It DOES get better! 
    lolololo
  • Options
    Just wanted to say you're not alone obviously. I feel your pain. As a Ftm I find myself questioning my ability to BF...since my LO was born underweight I am having to supplement with formula, but I am hopeful that things will get better:
  • Options
    I remember getting so frustrated with DS1 because I didn't get why something that's supposed to be so natural is so hard!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Became a Mrs. on 4/29/06 and a Mommy on 12/5/08

image image image
  • Options

My best advice is to set goals...

My first goal was to EBF for 6 weeks & after that I would reassess. After that was 2 months... then 6 months, etc.

We made it 13 months when she was completely weaned.

It is extremely difficult & it does get better. I think right around 6 weeks was when it was all the sudden NOT painful.

HUGS! 

DD1 11|04|10 DD2 08|20|12
    After 4 miscarriages, a diagnosis of Asherman's Syndrome, endo & lap surgery to remove partial septum &
    massive scar tissues, we have a completed family <3
    Never give up!

• Options
    imagePNWmommy:

My best advice is to set goals...

My first goal was to EBF for 6 weeks & after that I would reassess. After that was 2 months... then 6 months, etc.

We made it 13 months when she was completely weaned.

It is extremely difficult & it does get better. I think right around 6 weeks was when it was all the sudden NOT painful.

HUGS! 

This is kind of what I did too. Setting the goals was really helpful for me. The first few months are so demanding but then once they get more efficient, the feedings are fast and very easy! Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't really have a whole lot of pain (even though I'm pretty sure she never latches right,) but for me it's more that I feel so tied down. Like I can't leave the house because she could want to be fed at any time.

I can't drink milk, eat broccoli, have a drink, or what seems like a million other things because she's colicky. 

I've been tempted to switch to formula exclusively because it isn't digested so quickly and I can get longer breaks between feedings to actually do something.

I feel really, really, really awful and selfish about this :( 

• Options
    irerirer member

Sticks you can stand it, stick with it because it will get a lot easier...good luck and if you have any specific questions let me know...also maybe contact your local la leche league or breatsfeeding moms group.

Eta: if you can stand it I meant to say! 

• Options
    I agree with the other posts, I am a STM and I dreading the pain I remember with DS! But like they said it gets better.  I remember thinking I was doing something wrong, saw a LC and I was fine but it was great to get the support and some nights I remmeber having to unlatch DS several times to get him to latch on correctly, it was so frustrating but it is worth it because it taught him how to latch on correctly.  ANd like everyone said you reach a turning point where it doesnt hurt and is so much more convenient.  But I have to say one of my nipples is sore already and I havent even given birth! So like I said definitley not looking forward to first few weeks.  Hang in there!
  • Options

You've gotten some GREAT advice/input from PPs!  I'll add on to all of that by saying...

1)  Take it one nursing session at a time.  It WILL gradually get better/easier.  
    2)  If the latch-on hurts, then use your pinky to break the suction and try again.  Do this until it the pain decreases/goes away.  Make sure your LO's tummy is pressed against your body just under your cleavage.  Baby's position can make a HUGE difference in nipple pain relief!  
    3)  If you can get your hands on either the La Leche League "Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" or attend a local meeting (ideally both), then I highly recommend you do so.  Social support is crucial during those first days/weeks/months. 

Hang in there <3   

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Options

imageJillwithani:
    Thanks ladies, I enjoy hearing your stories and knowing I'm not alone. I've been going to a local breastfeeding group but they pretty much make everything seem like puppies and rainbows over there. 

An LLL group or another organization? Maybe I am just spoiled by my LLL group and friends, but their training is pretty intensely about accepting moms as they are, so the idea that someone would gloss over your struggle is really surprising to me if it actually is an LLL group. I found several of the nurse-LC I saw to do the same sort of thing (minimize my struggle or offer a generic answer), but the LC who was also a LLL leader had such a different approach--warm, supportive, sympathetic, and very much about helping baby and I as unique people rather than some generic BFing pair.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"