2nd Trimester

Baby shower ideas

Anyone have cute baby shower decor ideas they'd like to share?!  We're having a boy so thinking about blue poms from ceiling if we're allowed, wishes for baby fill ins and we have blue candy centerpieces....looking for other small extras to make it special.  Thinking mine and DHs baby pics on cake table.  Any other ideas?  Thanks!!

Re: Baby shower ideas

• Um, shouldn't your host be doing this stuff?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageNana_Osaki06:
    Um, shouldn't your host be doing this stuff?

This. It's typically considered poor etiquette to throw your own shower. 

• Loading the player...
  • imageTennis Chick:

imageNana_Osaki06:
    Um, shouldn't your host be doing this stuff?

This. It's typically considered poor etiquette to throw your own shower. 

Yep. 

• I am quite sick of all of the negativity surrounding baby shower posts. If an excited mom-to-be wants to help her hosts out with some ideas/decorating- what is the problem with that?? I think all of your ideas sound really cute, Stacey. You can find a lot other unique ideas on pinterest.
  • For my shower my sil filled baby bottles with candy and tied balloons on them. It was super cute. It also would look cute to put ribbon down the length of the table for decoration.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with lgleyze! Times & traditions have changed, and I think helping plan your baby shower is an exciting time for a mom, especially a first time mom.

Pinterest has some awesome ideas for games, food & decor! Martha Stewart's website has cute ideas, and Etsy has some really great handmade decorations, favors and invitations.

Maybe you could do a blue candy bar with all different types of blue candies for guests to take home. Along with the wishes for baby fill ins, you could have prediction cards where guests fill in what they think baby's weight, length, hair color and eye color will be. Guests also leave words of advice for the parents to be and sign their names. They'll be fun to look at before AND after the baby is born!

Hope this helped & good luck!!

• imagelgleyze:
    I am quite sick of all of the negativity surrounding baby shower posts. If an excited mom-to-be wants to help her hosts out with some ideas/decorating- what is the problem with that?? I think all of your ideas sound really cute, Stacey. You can find a lot other unique ideas on pinterest.

This 

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagelgleyze:
    I am quite sick of all of the negativity surrounding baby shower posts. If an excited mom-to-be wants to help her hosts out with some ideas/decorating- what is the problem with that?? I think all of your ideas sound really cute, Stacey. You can find a lot other unique ideas on pinterest.

::snort:: You do realize that Pinterest has virtually killed the "unique idea", right? What used to be unique is now pinned thousands of times & duplicated at least hundreds.

Also, the OP gave the impression that SHE is planning the shower. She talked about what SHE is thinking of doing, not what she's suggesting to the hostess. I've given a few ideas for my shower, but my BFF is the one in charge. If she asks my opinion, I give it. I have an inspiration board on Pinterest. But what she does with it is up to her. You know, since she is the hostess. 

• It's just kind of weird because a baby shower is like a gift someone gives you to get gifts. I was excited for my shower with my first too, but in my circle you don't do any of the planning of your own gift. Part of the awesome was just showing up and seeing what your friends put together for you.
  • I think it just varies by situation. My mother offered to throw me a shower but she wants me actively involved in the planning process because she wants to organize something she knows I will love. She did the same thing for my bridal shower. Maybe OP is in a similar situation to mine!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Hey hey now...No need to come down on her for either helping throw her baby shower or throwing her own.  We do not know the OP's situation; so we shouldn't be negative or mean about it. 

I moved to Atlanta about 7 years ago and never made any good girlfriends. All of my friends live back home in FL. If my managers wife didn't offer to throw me a baby shower I would have had to throw one myself. I know, I know it's a no-no, but not everyone's circumstance is the same. I am basically friends with everyone's husband, but not really friends with the women. We don't hate each other, but we aren't very close. I wouldn't have been comfortable enough to ask any woman I know up here to throw me one or expected their involvement.

OP...I wish I was the type of girl that could have suggestions for these types of things, but I am just not that type of girl. I do like your ideas though. They sound adorable! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 2 image
  • Poor wording on my prt I guess.  My hostesses asked for input bc they've never thrown a shower before and those were actually some of their ideas I was just listing.  I told them the bump was helpful so I'd post on there....thank you to those of you who offered helpful advice.  I am not and would not throw my own baby shower...I did check Pinterest but just thought is throw it out to some ladies who are pregnant and have showers coming up...
  • I agree with checking out pinterest. There are a lot of great ideas on there from people far more creative than myself! LOL I wish I could be more help.

I wanted to add how I am also very sick of all the "It's considered poor etiquette..." comments! I don't get it!! I DO understand how some people would think it's tacky or "gift grabby" but that's a very negative way to see things! We have no idea what her situation is and either way.. what's wrong with helping?? I'd LOVE to be involved in the planning! I think the new moms input is important!! After all it is about her baby.. not the host! Why not be involved? I've seen a ton of hosts make it about them instead and what they like. THAT is tacky or poor etiquette!!!
    Even if she is completely hosting her own baby shower, so what? How is throwing your own shower any different than throwing a birthday party for your kid? OR yourself! Isn't that also a party in which you invite people who may or may not bring gifts(depending on the situation..)?
    IMO it's not in bad taste at all to host an event to celebrate the upcoming birth of your child and spend time with friends and family!! It's a great reason/excuse to get everyone together! Why must people ruin that?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker

• imageDrea926:
    I think it just varies by situation. My mother offered to throw me a shower but she wants me actively involved in the planning process because she wants to organize something she knows I will love. She did the same thing for my bridal shower. Maybe OP is in a similar situation to mine!

This exactly.  My aunt and mom are throwing one of mine and have actively involved me in it.  They're not telling me everything, but they've ran a lot of ideas by me (thank god - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to nix the tummy-painting idea, yikes!).  My MIL is throwing another (his family is 2 hours away) and my co-worker a third.  They've all asked for input.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• imageSummerOH:

imageDrea926:
    I think it just varies by situation. My mother offered to throw me a shower but she wants me actively involved in the planning process because she wants to organize something she knows I will love. She did the same thing for my bridal shower. Maybe OP is in a similar situation to mine!

This exactly.  My aunt and mom are throwing one of mine and have actively involved me in it.  They're not telling me everything, but they've ran a lot of ideas by me (thank god - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to nix the tummy-painting idea, yikes!).  My MIL is throwing another (his family is 2 hours away) and my co-worker a third.  They've all asked for input.

My mother and three of my friends are throwing me a shower but are involving me in some of the details as well including the theme of it so I don't think it is weird at all!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    TTC since March/April 2010
    DX: MFI - less than 1 million sperm, 26% motility
    DH put on anastrozole to increase counts
    June/July 2011 100 mg Clomid + TS IUI#1 & IUI 2 - BFN :-(
    Forced break due to DH getting spinal surgery in August 2011
    IVF - January 2012: BFN
    FET in April 2012 - BFP at 6dp5dt! Beta #1 at 9dp5dt: 82.5, Beta #2 at 12dp5dt: 352 Beta #3 at 19dp5dt: 6000, saw heartbeat and one little bean at 5W6D!
    After nearly 3 years of waiting our LO was born December 18th 2012!
  • Kudos to all the ladies who finally spoke up about the negative comments regarding this "baby shower" situation. I agree that everyones situation is different and there is nothing wrong w/ the mother to be giving input, especially if she is asked!!! For my baby shower my MIL asked me my opinion on quite a few things and then I offered to help w/ whatever b/c I just want to help take some the responsibilty off of my MIL b/c I know how time and $$$ consuming planning a shower can be.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • my mother and sister are planning my shower. i am also actively involved with the planning as well. they just want to make sure that im comforatble with everything but still leaving a few surprises here and there. since my shower is this upcoming weekend. i talk with my mom on a daily basis regarding my shower. i got a lot of criticism on the baby shower board about being so involved, espcially with the financial aspect of it. i decided to help my mom and sister with the cost...its very expensive! i didnt feel that there was anything wrong with that. Oh, and i also was criticized about being so involved with the guest lsit as well. I guess some of the ladies felt that if my mo is paying for it..she could invite who ever she wants...

but..it is refreshing to see other ladies in the same boat

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• imageNinaMarie1:
    Kudos to all the ladies who finally spoke up about the negative comments regarding this "baby shower" situation. I agree that everyones situation is different and there is nothing wrong w/ the mother to be giving input, especially if she is asked!!! For my baby shower my MIL asked me my opinion on quite a few things and then I offered to help w/ whatever b/c I just want to help take some the responsibilty off of my MIL b/c I know how time and $$$ consuming planning a shower can be.

Agreed! I'm not enjoying the harsh critisism on this topic either. what is a positive time to celebrate should not be met with such negativity and judgement especially with such diverse circumstances.

Good luck to you.

• imagelgleyze:

This.  If I want to have the kind of baby shower that I want, then I need to give some input.  Your host cannot read your mind.  Different women like different things and your host could not possibly know all these things. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I like the poms idea! I was looking to do pompoms too! Usually when I need inspiration I just google.

• Wow.  There's a whole lot of this in here.

Fav Movie ***: VERUCA SALT (Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory)

Not everyone gets a shower and you certainly don't throw a gift-giving event for yourself if no one offers to throw one for you.  That's just disgustingly tacky.  But yeah, you want to look like a spoiled brat in front of all your family and friends?  Go right ahead. 

• imagedivajackie67:

Hey hey now...No need to come down on her for either helping throw her baby shower or throwing her own.  We do not know the OP's situation; so we shouldn't be negative or mean about it. 

I moved to Atlanta about 7 years ago and never made any good girlfriends. All of my friends live back home in FL. If my managers wife didn't offer to throw me a baby shower I would have had to throw one myself. I know, I know it's a no-no, but not everyone's circumstance is the same. I am basically friends with everyone's husband, but not really friends with the women. We don't hate each other, but we aren't very close. I wouldn't have been comfortable enough to ask any woman I know up here to throw me one or expected their involvement.

OP...I wish I was the type of girl that could have suggestions for these types of things, but I am just not that type of girl. I do like your ideas though. They sound adorable! 

If you don't have any good girlfriends, who exactly are you planning on inviting?  You shouldn't throw a shower for youself and you shouldn't ask someone to do it for you, it's a gift. 

You don't HAVE to have a shower, a shower is not one of life's big milestones, it's just another gift.  The milestone is having the baby

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Wow, no one is entitled to a baby shower.

If you throw your own shower, then you're a spoiled twat.

• You guys know that you can have ideas for a baby shower without actually throwing it, right?

I have lots of ideas and passed them along to my hosts. If they want to use them, great. If not, fine as well. I did request that nothing stupid was requested of the guests like "bring a diaper and be entered for a door prize", "fill out your own thank you card envelope", and "bring a book instead of a card" 

Hey hey now...No need to come down on her for either helping throw her baby shower or throwing her own.  We do not know the OP's situation; so we shouldn't be negative or mean about it. 

If you don't have any good girlfriends, who exactly are you planning on inviting?  You shouldn't throw a shower for youself and you shouldn't ask someone to do it for you, it's a gift. 

You don't HAVE to have a shower, a shower is not one of life's big milestones, it's just another gift.  The milestone is having the baby

Nailed it, Liz.

• imagestacey2345:
    Poor wording on my prt I guess.  My hostesses asked for input bc they've never thrown a shower before and those were actually some of their ideas I was just listing.  I told them the bump was helpful so I'd post on there....thank you to those of you who offered helpful advice.  I am not and would not throw my own baby shower...I did check Pinterest but just thought is throw it out to some ladies who are pregnant and have showers coming up..

Just thought I should re-post this for all of the continued snarky posts assuming OP is throwing herself a shower.  She's not.  The hosts asked her for input, which is quite common for showers these days.  I agree that throwing yourself a shower is tacky in most cases.  That is not the case in this thread.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• I don't understand why people can't just answer the question or respond to the original poster in general . I don't understand why people don't realize that they don't HAVE to give their opinion. Because people are not seeking YOUR opinion all the time. Most of the time they are seeking the opinion of people who actually have something to offer and contribute. So if
    all you had to offer was "um you do realize people shouldn't throw their own showers?" or " you're such a brat" then that means you probably shouldn't be responding to the post. Respond to posts where you can actually say and add something of value. Otherwise get a life.

I just don't know why people go out of their way to be rude.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagemrshump:
    I don't understand why people can't just answer the question or respond to the original poster in general . I don't understand why people don't realize that they don't HAVE to give their opinion. Because people are not seeking YOUR opinion all the time. Most of the time they are seeking the opinion of people who actually have something to offer and contribute. So if all you had to offer was "um you do realize people shouldn't throw their own showers?" or " you're such a brat" then that means you probably shouldn't be responding to the post. Respond to posts where you can actually say and add something of value. Otherwise get a life. I just don't know why people go out of their way to be rude.

Most of the time, people here are only seeking the opinion of those who will tell them that whatever they are doing is fabulous. 

Opposing opinions are very valuable, that is how people learn.  Not everyone in life is going to kiss your ass and think everything you do is fantastic.  If you want someone who feels that way, talk to your mother.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageLiz4444:

imagemrshump:
    I don't understand why people can't just answer the question or respond to the original poster in general . I don't understand why people don't realize that they don't HAVE to give their opinion. Because people are not seeking YOUR opinion all the time. Most of the time they are seeking the opinion of people who actually have something to offer and contribute. So if all you had to offer was "um you do realize people shouldn't throw their own showers?" or " you're such a brat" then that means you probably shouldn't be responding to the post. Respond to posts where you can actually say and add something of value. Otherwise get a life. I just don't know why people go out of their way to be rude.

Most of the time, people here are only seeking the opinion of those who will tell them that whatever they are doing is fabulous. 

Opposing opinions are very valuable, that is how people learn.  Not everyone in life is going to kiss your ass and think everything you do is fantastic.  If you want someone who feels that way, talk to your mother.

she didn't ask if she should throw her own shower, she asked for idea for a shower. 

and it's really a waste of energy of to spend time responding to people who annoy or aggravate you. it doesn't change their lives any and you makes you look lame and RUDE. 

to call someone you do not know a brat or a twat is ridiculous and doesn't indicate a valuable opinion from an opposing view. it represents an immature woman who is clearly bored.  

• imagedivajackie67:

There is absolutely no situation that would make it okay to throw your own baby shower.  It's a gift and if no one offers to throw it for you, you don't get one. Honestly, it's not a wedding or some life defining moment like a marriage or you know, giving birth.    

ETA: It takes you longer than 7 years to make friends?  Wow.  And your only friends with peoples husbands?  Okay, that's really weird.  Alsoplus, you wouldn't feel comfortable asking someone to throw you a shower, that's actually normal, because its rude. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemrshump:

Yes

• I know the take on etiquette but I really think this comes down to personality, social groups and mere opinion. No one I know would give two s-words if I hosted my own shower. In addition, I could care less if I was invited to a shower that was hosted by the new mom herself. Another thing is the constant opinion of the gifts being for the mom or the gifts being for the baby. Most people who pitch the view of etiquette believe the gifts are for the mom as where MANY (including myself) think the gifts are for the baby.

Most importantly, when someone asks you for your opinion on a color or decoration, how is it your business to preach your etiquette opinions to them?  It?s their shower, let them do whatever they want. Either answer their question or move on. Enough with all the negativity. I get it if multiple showers or hosting your own shower is tacky to you but unless someone says ?Do you think this is tacky?? Mind your business bc the bottom line is giving your opinion on etiquette when no one asked for it?is tacky.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagedivajackie67:

You moved SEVEN years ago and still haven't made any good friends? WOW. 

I find it quite interesting that you are friends with everyone's husband but you don't get along with their wives. Interesting. 

• imageMakeMyHeartPink:

Mind your business bc the bottom line is giving your opinion on etiquette when no one asked for it?is tacky.

Um, genius, its a public message board so when you post here you are inviting people into your business and inviting people's opinions, whether you like them or not.  

Like a PP said, if you want someone to blow smoke up your a$$, go talk to your mother.   

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemorethancottoncandy:
    imageMakeMyHeartPink:

Mind your business bc the bottom line is giving your opinion on etiquette when no one asked for it?is tacky.

Um, genius, its a public message board so when you post here you are inviting people into your business and inviting people's opinions, whether you like them or not.  

Like a PP said, if you want someone to blow smoke up your a$$, go talk to your mother.   

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! 

• Pointing out someone's social errors is bad manners. It shows a lack of social skills.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagechicagobridelibby:
    Pointing out someone's social errors is bad manners. It shows a lack of social skills.

Exactly.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemorethancottoncandy:
    imageMakeMyHeartPink:

Completely get your freedom of speech kick, but the point I'm making is so many people here are quick to jump on the etiquette wagon and don't even bother answering the origianl question. She didn't ask for your opinions on etiquette she asked for your opions on decorations.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am thrilled to finally see ladies calling out these crazy old etiquette police!! Like someone else said, these rude snarky remarks are tacky!! I honestly do not associate with people who would talk crap about me for planning my own shower. I have real friends, not people who I'm out to impress. Obviously these rude ladies are only accustomed to being harshly judged by the shallow people they associate with. Are you inviting snarky coworkers or neighbors or what? I don't understand who is caring so deeply about trashing your etiquette. 

My loving and supportive friends and family are the people who will be attending this event. We do not judge each other or say we're being "gift grabby". These people expect a baby shower whether it was hosted by a friend, a relative, or myself. They insist I must have one because they want to celebrate and bring supplies for the new baby in our life! Everything was up to me and nothing was forced. I have had a say in every aspect!

I don't know who you people are inviting to these things but clearly they dont like you that much if they talk crap about improper etiquette for a celebration of life. Get those people out of your life and focus on your real friends.  

Btw, it's the same few ladies that stay trolling this board for opportunity to be hateful. Probably mad because no one wants them at any event for fear of being judged. 
  • But to actually respond to the original question.... Have you though about a diaper cake?? My cousin loves making these and they do look pretty cool on the table! Im using cloth diapers but I have a feeling she will still make one just for decoration! And I love the idea of the baby pictures! Maybe make the a blue punch somehow? Food coloring?? 

I wish I was more helpful but this is new to me! It's fun coming up with ideas though!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"