VBAC

How long did you wait?

I ended you with a C/S with DS and my soon to be H is wanting us to start right away for #2. I am hoping to be able to have a VBAC with #2, but I don't know how long do we need to wait. I did some research and some say 2 years some 3 and a few 1 year. What did you all do?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How long did you wait?

• We started TTC#2 when DD was 12 months mostly because that worked well with our own preferences.  I didn't get pregnant though until DD was 18 months, so it was almost 28 months in-between my c/s and my VBAC with DS.  

I know there are a couple of ladies on here that had VBACs though with less time in-between than that.  Perhaps they can chime in as well Smile  I think there is a "general" rule of thumb to have 12 months separating your c/s from your next pregnancy, but I've heard of exceptions being made.  

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• I had almost 22 months between my c/s and my VBAC. I think a lot of providers like at least 18 months between births, though some want more and some are fine with less.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I wasn't given a minimum amount of time but generally, when there is a time set, it is 18 months between births.  Mine are 27 months apart.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Kie310Kie310 member
    We started trying when my son turned 2. He will almost be 3 when this baby is born. I go the all clear to start TTC again at 6 months PP, but if I wanted to VBAC I had to wait at least 1 year. We let it double just in case. Big Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doc is allowing 17 months for me. His general rule is 18 months but I'm 2 weeks short so he's making an exception
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • My OB told me I could get pregnant right away if I wanted to, and vbac.  I was originally due 17 months after DD's birth, OB was completely supportive. 
  • Jen524Jen524 member
    We waited to TTC until DD was 15 months old more because of not wanting our kids too close in age...not because of the VBAC.  Our two DDs are 2 years apart and I had no problems with getting a VBAC.  I think most suggest 18 months between deliveries to attempt a VBAC.
    BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)

• Thanks for all your answers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We were pleasantly surprised with a positive test at 5 months pp. Definitely a shock, but the OB that had performed my cesarean last August had told me at my 6 week pp check up that there was no specific amount of time to wait. At my first prenatal, he said it was no problem. He wasn't VBAC friendly at all, though, so I switched to an OB who is. He also said it's no problem having a VBAC 13 months apart. Yes the chance of uterine rupture increases ever to slightly (from about 1% to 1.5%, apparently). To me, that's such a small increase that it's still worth it to try for a VBAC.

I think it will come down to your OB's comfortability. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • skioskio member

My OB prefers 2 years between deliveries. I also preferred to wait this long; I needed the time to recover both physically and emotionally from my first labor/delivery experience. I need my c/s to be a distant memory before I get pregnant again with VBAC in mind. 

I went off BC when DD was 13m and we are officially trying now; she's 16m. So if all goes as planned, there will be 26+ months between deliveries.  

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • We started TTC #2 when DS turned 2.  However, we did not get successfully pregnant until over a year later.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It will be a 4.5 year gap for us

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I wasn't told a specific amount of time to wait, but my two kids are 17 months apart.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"