D.C. Area Babies

~rnin02~

This is a probably a dumb question but...if the doctors office (usually) just does the one 20 week u/s do they still check for a heartbeat at the first appointment or wait till a later appointment when it can be heard?  I'll be almost 9 weeks at the first appointment which is too early to hear it but we should be able to see the heartbeat if they check, correct? Thank you!

Re: ~rnin02~

• My first appointment was around 9 weeks, maybe a little more (can't remember now!) and they didn't check for the heartbeat, which really disappointed me. That's a big reason I got the NT scan, so I could make sure everything was going okay. At my next appointment they checked for the heartbeat using the doppler and we heard it. That was around 13 weeks I guess.
  • Thank you! I'm bummed they might not be looking for the heartbeat...that might make me want the NT scan (if insurance covers it). I know that it isn't a great reason but like you, I really want to make sure everything is okay.
  • Loading the player...
  • i think alot of insurances cover the NT scan now, so you'll probably be okay. I was a little sad they didn't check for the heartbeat either, but in the end I'm glad they didn't, because that made me get the NT scan, which gave us a far more accurate due date then my LMP date (I was 2 weeks "behind") and I got an early look at the baby. Its so neat seeing the ultrasound pictures, even the early ones. Good luck!

• I called my insurance company last night and they cover the NT scan (yay!) and will cover 1 u/s per trimester (more if medically necessary). I will definitely ask about the NT scan if they don't mention at my appointment next week. Thanks for answering all my questions :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"