Military Families

Working from home?

Have any of you guys worked for or looked into any work at/from home programs throughout your journeys!? I know with the constant moving it isn't always easy to be switching jobs everytime the spouses get pcs orders. In our case, I might not be able to do my more hands on job much longer and might be on fell bedrest, instead of modified or something similiar. I need to keep working somehow to add to our income since it won't be easy to support a family of 4 on my husbands pay. Our savings was depleated after his last deployment due to an incident on deployment and myself and our daughter had to pay our own tickets to get to where they were having us meet him in germant.

I am pretty great at budgeting and keeping us within our means (sort of), but if I can nolonger contribute from the job I corruently work we might have some serious difficulty. Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions!!!! I really am not a sit at home not doing something productive person, it makes me so anxious I can barely handle being around myself haha I might send poor hubs to the nuthouse after a long day at work then comming home to a loonybin bedrested wife!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Working from home?

• Are you talking about selling like MaryKay, Scentsy, and Tupperware? Those are not businesses you really work from home. A lot of people lose money on those kinds of things and you need to throw parties and lots of leg work!! Really, telecommuting is one of the only ways. My friend translates documents from home. I know a lady that post on pro boards used to be a sex phone operator and worked from home. It's just a little difficult to find a job you can actually work from home at.
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • No I hate selling things if I wanted to do thart I would have worked in retail at  somepoint in my life haha. I was hoping that someone might know of a online company where I can do things like dictations or some sort of tutoring or something like that. I know they are out there but just have no idea how to find them.
  • Loading the player...
  • I work from home, but I have been in this industry for years and had to work my way up to be able to work from home.  I am in the high tech industry which tends to be more telecommuting friendly.  Keep in mind though, that most legitimate companies that allow employees to work from home require that you have child care, either a nanny or day care.  Working from home is just like working in an office, it would be very difficult to care for children while effectively doing your job (it would be impossible for me).

I am not sure if you are crafty at all, but I do know some women who sell things on etsy and do very well.  Also, I know some women have in home day cares, so if you have any experience with children you could do that.  Tutor.com is the only tutoring company I know of, but I am sure there are more, try checking them out.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLyndseylovesHugh:

I work from home, but I have been in this industry for years and had to work my way up to be able to work from home.  I am in the high tech industry which tends to be more telecommuting friendly.  Keep in mind though, that most legitimate companies that allow employees to work from home require that you have child care, either a nanny or day care.  Working from home is just like working in an office, it would be very difficult to care for children while effectively doing your job (it would be impossible for me).

I am not sure if you are crafty at all, but I do know some women who sell things on etsy and do very well.  Also, I know some women have in home day cares, so if you have any experience with children you could do that.  Tutor.com is the only tutoring company I know of, but I am sure there are more, try checking them out.  

Thanks! I found a lady at our duty station whose got 5 kids and works from home with an advertising company, she is going to see if there is anyway she could get me in to talk to them and see if theres something I might be able to do!

• imageLyseeH:
    imageLyndseylovesHugh:

I work from home, but I have been in this industry for years and had to work my way up to be able to work from home.  I am in the high tech industry which tends to be more telecommuting friendly.  Keep in mind though, that most legitimate companies that allow employees to work from home require that you have child care, either a nanny or day care.  Working from home is just like working in an office, it would be very difficult to care for children while effectively doing your job (it would be impossible for me).

Thanks! I found a lady at our duty station whose got 5 kids and works from home with an advertising company, she is going to see if there is anyway she could get me in to talk to them and see if theres something I might be able to do!

That is awesome, it is all about who you know!  Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLyndseylovesHugh:

I work from home in the IT aspect of things. It's really great having the flexibility, but there are quite a few drawbacks and it certainely isn't cake (not implying that you believe it is). Like PP, working from home for me would be impossible while having to watch my child at the same time. I have an office dedicated to my job and I will admit it's really hard to "leave work at work". It's always there, I can't just leave the office and go home. If I hear an email notification at night go off, it's hard to ignore it and not check it out. I will also add in that not having the facetime you normally get in an office envoironmnet is also a significant drawback. In my opinion, there is much more expected of you and I know I feel a greater need to "prove myself" since I'm not in the office.

The professional term for this is normally referred to as working "remote". I would maybe check out Linkdin (sp?) and see if there is anyone you can network with on there. It's challenging to work at home, but it's definitely great to have the flexibility as well. Good Luck on your search!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I think no job is easy as you wanted it to be. There are always some plus and some minus points in each job, but if you are really willing to do it then you can do it on any cost.

• I also have been trying to find some kind of work from home opportunity so that I can continue to contribute to our household income. I would love to be able to be a full time SAHM and not have to work, but our bills don't allow for that, especially since my student loans come due 2 weeks before the baby arrives. 

I'm going to try looking into LinkedIn to see if there is anybody there who could help me. I had thought about the medical transcription option, but in the state of Maine almost all of the hospitals require that you work in the hospital for 6 weeks before you can work from home so that wouldn't do me any good.

And I'm with a PP who said about those home-based party options (Scentsy, Mary Kay, AVON, etc) because I don't want to have to worry about my income based on commissions and parties. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"